Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Looking for my best frien

Default Thank you MSCHIKU

Thank you for your helpful response! I guess I will sign up again. Darn it. Now for the wait, speaking of which I dispise GTL's 10 day waiting period for changing accounts. Are there records so messed up they need 10 days to figure things out? CRAZY.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Default U R Very Welcome!

LorriKiser - You are very welcome! I grit my teeth everytime I have to call GTL to add more money!!! Lord knows I hate what that company stands for!

"...for this too shall pass..."
Old 05-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

I just called GTL with 800# - 0193 to check my account balance... AND the automated system told me, "You have more than a 5 minute wait, blah blah blah" they repeated the number I was calling from and announced that a Rep would call me back in the order the call was received. In order for me to NOT have to wait on the phone NOW that's NEW and GREAT! That works for me! I for one hate waiting on the phone for 45 minutes or so at times like the evenings.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:57 PM
*God bless our family*

Did the system use to be different? Did you use to have to wait for a rep?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
God is Good ALL the Time

As far as I know, you've always had to talk to a "live" person to get a balance. I find that if I call about 8:15 a.m., my calls go straight through. They may tell you that you'll have to wait, but 1 or 2 minutes is all I've ever had to wait at that time of the day, and usually not that. I'm glad you got you call truelove. Y'all new to the ODRC are so lucky to have the availability to only pay $1.01 per call. I'd hate to tell you how much my phone bills have been over the years pre GTL. It might be frustrating setting up, but I've not had one minute's problem since I have.

God Bless You All !!!

p
i reach for you and find my heart"

OVERTURN THE WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS OF THE LUCASVILLE UPRISING !!!!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
*God bless our family*

((peaches)) Im curious...how much did they run?? I realize that we must be so blessed to find a way "around" the expensive bills. I can definately afford $1.01 a call! Does the prepay money expire after a certain time?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 PM
God is Good ALL the Time

The money doesn't expire as far as I know, because my Hunnie is only able to make 1 call a week and obviously it takes me months to go through $25 at $1.01 per call. Regular MCI collect calls were just less than $19 a call, and PCO calls were just over $5 a call. Thank GOD for GTL !!!

have a nice evening !!!
p
i reach for you and find my heart"

OVERTURN THE WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS OF THE LUCASVILLE UPRISING !!!!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

truelove - I have had to wait OVER an hour in the past for a Rep to answer, while being on hold... But when I started calling around 8:00-8:30 am, I got thru within a couple minutes, thanks to (((Pam's))) suggestion... BUT this new thing that allows an English speaking Rep to call you back instead of holding over 5 minutes is AWESOME... So MAYBE GTL is actually listening and doing something about customer complaints Impressive!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 PM
*God bless our family*

Wow I didn't realize it was that tough before!! Since I have set up a prepay account, the only thing I had an option for was for a rep to call back. Both recent times that I have called, I got the same 5 min message, but a rep called me back within 2 minutes each time of hanging up! I am so glad for the "veterans" so to speak that this is working out alot easier. Both reps I experienced were very helpful and courteous, and I could understand them!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:21 AM

Well I'm scared but have to go with GTL. I had been with Embarq for over 10 years & it was a breeze with Larry being in Prison, cause the calls just came through. But the darn Dish just kept raising there prices on me. So to make a long story short I went with cable and now have to to with GTL. I have read every single post over & over and just want to make sure we are doing everything right. I went to see Larry yesterday & told him to call me first. The phone just got connected yesterday so I am still waiting on the automated call from the Prison. Then I do not call GTL for 24 hours to set up the account is this right? I will let everyone no how my luck went. There was a older man visiting his son who heard my conversation with Larry on GTL & he said he went back to Embarq because of GTL. Has me a little worried. I told him I was going to give it my best shot. I'm saving over $40.00 a month from switching from Embarq to Cable so I figured it is worth the hassel. Better be.

Laura
Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

(((Laura))) if you followed the steps outlined, that have been tried and true, everything should work out for the both of you Please keep us updated...thanks for posting your options. At least GTL seems to be getting better lately. Have a blessed weekend.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 PM

Here is something new to add to the list of on going soga. I have been waiting on the call from the Prison so I can call Global Tech to set the account up. Well this morning I get a call & it shows up on my caller I.D. as a Utah call. Well I no nobody in Utah so I don't pick it up. Figure it is a call I would'nt want anyway. So tonight they call again....I figure what the heck....let me see what this jerk wants. Guess what? It is the call I've been waiting on. Why the heck does it not show up as Global Tech? Anyway....figure this should be added for future reference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry's Wife For This Useful Post:
MsChiku (05-26-2008)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

You're right Larry's Wife that's a good point to bring up...When GTL's automated call comes in to confirm who the responsible party is, it does show a different name on the caller ID... Good thing you answered after all Thanks for bringing that up

Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 PM

Did anybody else have to FAX a copy of their phone bill to GTL? I called them tonight to set up the account with them & this is what they told me. Larry did what he was suppose to do....called me from the Prison & I got the automated rigamarole thing, but they are telling me that my phone number is not in the system. So now I have to fax them a copy before they can set up my account. O Lord....nothing is ever easy.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Larry's Wife - The last time I had to fax something was a couple years ago Not sure which lame Rep is starting that drama over again... I do pray that the hassles stop! I have no idea what that's about! rottn may be able to shed more light on that issue...I hate this is happening to you

Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I had to fax a copy of my cell phone bill in February to show them that it was in the same name, number, etc.....
Power play on her part. Only a few make you do it. My sister-in-law had to do it too. Crazy for prepay if you ask me.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 AM

I never have understood the drama of trying to give someone money. They're like, sorry, if you can't prove you are you and that's your (bank) card we can't take your money. Shortly after I got married they wouldn't take the card - same number, just married name on the card. So I called back about ten minutes later and I'm sure I talked to the same guy and used my maiden name and there was NO problem. Gee, if someone wants to give me money up front - bring it!
Blessings to all
Old 05-28-2008, 11:42 AM

O.K. guys.....have Faxed them the info from the cable company. They gave me a hard time at first cause they said it was long distance....hey it's there problem I can't get his phone calls direct. Right?!? Anyway she faxed the info to GTL, so I will call them in a while & see what happens. Poor Larry.....I went to see him today & he said he tries to call me twice a day just to see if he can. Will let you no when I succeed.

Laura
Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
*God bless our family*

Default fax

When I originally called to set up my prepay account, the rep wanted a fax of my ID and my phone bill. I told her the new number I just set up wasn't on the phone bill yet, and she said.."nevermind" and set up my account anyways without the phone bill! Try calling again and getting a more responsive rep.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 PM
*God bless our family*

Question Calls droppin?

Is anyone having problems with phone calls yesterday or today? We are talking on the phone, and it fades out..the call doesn't disconnect, we just can't hear each other anymore? This has happened almost 5 times since yesterday, although sometimes the calls go fine the whole 15 minutes.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM

I'm all set up and I hope he tries to call me tonight. She said he could try after 4 hours. That is if I heard her right. Would be nice to talk to someone in English....which leads me to the fact that you punch in 1 for ENGLISH & then get someone you can't understand. But guess what?!? The fax I had to send was not needed. So if any of you get this response of needing your phone number faxed to them....hang up & call back & get another rep.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
S.W.A.K.A.L.O.L.F.E.A.A<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry's Wife View Post
Here is something new to add to the list of on going soga. I have been waiting on the call from the Prison so I can call Global Tech to set the account up. Well this morning I get a call & it shows up on my caller I.D. as a Utah call. Well I no nobody in Utah so I don't pick it up. Figure it is a call I would'nt want anyway. So tonight they call again....I figure what the heck....let me see what this jerk wants. Guess what? It is the call I've been waiting on. Why the heck does it not show up as Global Tech? Anyway....figure this should be added for future reference.
That was the same call I got... The one from Utah that I ignored for 2 days cause I thought it was a bill collector
Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 PM

I'm in Virginia. The calls are 11.93 each for 15 minutes and about 7.00in fees and statement cost. Vontage may be a option, but I did ask it if there was any other way to receive call and I was told they were contacted with most of the facalities in Virginia.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 PM

He called me tonight so we are all set up & running. Just wish things were easier for all of us, but Prison takes anything easy away. Let's just see how hard we can make it for them & their families. O'well, we are tough & will prevail. Right? Right.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
*God bless our family*

Default Phones messing up???

Is anyone else having problems with their phone calls? I think it might be just SCI phones, because all the inmates are having the same problems. The phone won't disconnect, but in the middle of the conversation, you can't hear the person anymore and they can't hear you. Its just dead silence. I know it isn't just my phone though because my man told me that everyone is complaining of the same thing. The automated voice sometimes doesn't even play during the conversation. I called GTL, but they said that they can't send anyone out to fix it until there is more complaints...I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same thing at any of the Ohio prisons? This is occuring at Southeastern....thanks!