Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 PM

Unhappy Home plan and my fiance being on my lease...please help

I am SO worried about this that I'm losing sleep. My fiance and I were living together before he went to Pittsburgh. I had my apartment before we started dating and then he moved in with me after we got engaged. His name is not on the lease, but we were planning to do that. He has been telling me that 3 months before his release, he needs his home plan approved, and that one of the requirements is that if he plans on living in an apartment, his name needs to be on the lease. He said if he were to go live with someone in a house, or a halfway house, it wouldn't matter. He claims to know this because of what other inmates are telling him, not his counselor or the parole board. I do have power of attorney, so I looked into adding his name to the lease with the management office of my apartment complex. Well, they do a criminal background check, and won't add anyone to the lease if they have one, or if they don't have proof of income or a valid driver's license. His got suspended because he's serving a year for a DUI. I am heartbroken at the idea of not being able to bring my fiance home, and to have them tell us we can't live together again just because his name is not on the lease. He's supposed to be coming home to a familiar nuturing environment, not wondering where he's supposed to live. Is this the case for everyone, or is every inmate different? It sounds outrageous to me. He is supposed to be going into the 3 or 4 month AOD program at Pittsburgh. Any information would be most appreciated, because I am worried sick over this.

Last edited by DeeNaz; 07-07-2008 at 12:51 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 03:06 PM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,607 Posts

Unfortunately, the way it is worded, the inmate had to have been on the lease prior to incaceration. I know this because my husband and I filled out our home plan. He was not on the lease before he went to prison, we just never added him. The thing is, I live in a rented house. Thankfully I talked to my landlord and he was totally cool with my husband coming back home and said that as far as he was concerned, the there is no more lease agreement. But since you live in an apartment complex this will go by the book for you. Parole does check into this thouroughly. They have to because they have to speak to the management of the apartment complex because they have to sign papers agreeing to let him live there. So they wil know whether or not he was on the lease already. I do not see anyway you can get around this at all. I am sure that he hears lots of different things in prison, but the fact is it is the same for everyone. Parole checks into everything listed on the home plan. Perhaps someone may have a better idea but from what I know from our experience, the home plan is checked, including the lease agreement. My husband and I made arragements for him to go to a halfway house first when he is paroled and then put in his home plan. That way it is more likely that it will be approved. We have reasons for not doing the home plan for our home first. But in our case, we have a landlord who is nice enough to forego the lease on our home.
I hope you can find a way to get around this somehow.

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Let, Love, Live

Does this apply to federal and state inmates?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 PM

Oh my God. This is the worst news I could possibly get, after all we've been through. After waiting a year for him to come home, I can't believe this could happen to us. He says it's no big deal, he can apply to be on the lease when he comes home, and then inform parole and probation, so he may have to live somewhere else until it gets straightened out. I'm hoping my apartment complex would be understanding once he's out, but I can't see them putting him on the lease now, before he's released. He wants me to talk to them and explain that he lived there before and he's in prison now and needs to be put on it, but the manager of my complex is a b**tch and I don't see that happening. He is listed as a "resident" at the complex, so would it still matter if his name is on the lease?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Waiting 4 My Dream 2 Come

I have a question on this related topic...I am planning to move to P.A and also get married to Pop next year...We have never lived together and the apartment prior to him being incarcerated his mom has moved out.....I was planning to be upfront with whomever and wherever I decide to live with and tell them about my future husband and his crime record....My question is he didn't live there prior will they hold that against him even if I am able to find a landlord that will accept his criminal record and also put him on the lease???
<3 Est: 10:19:03 <3

Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love can sneak up & give u a fairytale.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM

I wonder if things are different from County to Counry, cause my Mom is taking in a Parolee, his a brother of a friend of hers, and she lives in a one bedroom apt. My bf is rather surprised that they are even allowing it as each person is supposed to have a bedroom...if not in a relationship. I guess since she is handicap and her bed in in the "dining room", they allowd it. She never mentioned the management co...but who knows. She isn't the most upfront human being.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

I don't think this is true--I never heard that someone's home plan would be denied b/c the person's name was not on the lease. My ex lived w/me on a intrastate compact [NJ to PA] and I was never asked about a lease; when he moved out, he was not required to have his name on a lease. I would call the Parole Headquarters in Harrisburg or check the PA Parole/Probation website to verify this information.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

I had called our local parole office to confirm the information i had read on the state parole website. I was told that my husband would have had to be on the lease prior to incaceration. I had also called the main office in Harrisburg to see what they could tell me about this. I was also told by them that my husband would have had to have been on the lease prior.
I only know what I was told by the Lackawanna County parole office and the Pennsylvania State Probation and Parole office.
I am thinking perhaps in some cases, the agents who do the home inspection and approve the home plan may be more lenient that others.
If this wasnt the case, I would have just had the landlord add him to my lease.
I do hope that perhaps there is some form of a loop hole but all I know is what I was told were the ruls when I called and asked.
Call your local Parole office, I can't see the rules varying depending on the area since this is what I was told by the office in Harrisburg.
I sure would like to know if what I was told is wrong. But i am not thinking that it is.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM

I thank all of you very much. I'm very grateful for any information on this issue. It has really had me worried since my fiance told me about it. We've just been trying to have everything taken care of and ready for his release. It's just a very hard situation to be in, because I'm not happy about the fact that they'd have to call my landlords and tell them someone being released from prison is going to be living there, let alone asking if he's on the lease and telling us he can't live with me if he's not. I feel that it's no one else's business. My next step is to call my local parole office for more information, and to confirm what I already know.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:41 PM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Keep us posted on what happens. Best of luck.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 AM

Well, I called the parole and probation office in our area, and explained the situation. They told me he doesn't have to be on the lease, and that I just have to sign papers agreeing for him to live there. I told them it was an apartment complex and not a house or a rented house. I sure hope this is true. I guess we'll know better when we have to complete his home plan.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 AM

Default home

Just wondering if your bf was ok'd for parole at your complex,im having same situation? Did PO check w/ complex,and what was asked by PO at home plan visit?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:20 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,266 Posts

You have responded to a post from ten years ago.
xolady (07-22-2018)