Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanked 11,101 Times in 6,007 Posts
Default Synopsis of the Texas parole revocation process

I received the following via PM...

If you have the time, would you please explain to me in lay terms how a revocation hearing goes. Who hears it, if the person hearing it makes a recommendation, then who has to give approval? I am just curious as to the interworking of the revocation process. How long after the hearing is it before a final decision is made. this is something of which I know nothing.

As I would imagine that more than one person wants the nutshell version, I have opted to just create an open post.

The process begins long before the arrest on a parole warrant. Contrary to what some believe, a parole officer does not just *have* someone arrested. They have to complete a report of violation and submit it to the central offices in Austin. There are also some reports for monitor violations that go directly to Austin and bypass the supervising officer entirely. ONLY AFTER THE REPORT HAS BEEN REVIEWED AND DETERMINED TO HAVE MET CERTAIN CRITERIA WILL A WARRANT BE ISSUED BY A PAROLE ANALYST.

In other words, it was not the PO that decided to have someone arrested but rather someone in Austin. Certain due process criteria do have to be met in the report and there are also a number of instances in which there is no discretion given to the analyst.

Once the warrant has issued, it is published either Statewide in TCIC or Nationwide in NCIC. Not all warrants are published nationwide. I won't go into the decisions related to publication but most could probably guess them just using some common sense.

Once published, law enforcement can make the arrest on a parole violator's warrant, and the releasee will be booked into the county jail in whatever county the arrest occurred. There is no requirement to be housed in the county where the releasee was being supervised. If the arrest occurred out of state, the releasee will be extradited directly back to TDCJ and enter through the Byrd Unit.

Once in custody, it must first be determined whether there are new charges in addition to the parole hold. If there are, those charges should ideally be disposed of prior to the Division moving forward to scheduling a hearing. A pending charge removes some of the Board's options if they continued supervision...and a lack of options makes it easier for them to decide to revoke someone.

If there are no pending charges, the PO should be out to serve the 48's (Notice of Allegation and Rights in the Hearing Process) within I believe five working days. If a hearing is requested, it will usually be scheduled within about 10 to 14 days depending on backlogs with scheduling...some occur sooner, but few later.

The hearing is conducted by a Hearing Officer who is an employee of the Board of Pardons and Paroles and who is given some training in the nuances of administrative law. They are NOT parole officers nor are they employees of the Parole Division. It is important to remember that the Board of Pardons and Paroles and the Parole Division are two separate agencies!!!

If the hearing officer makes a finding that a violation has occurred, they will move to the adjustment phase of the hearing, which is where the information is introduced about why the releasee should or should not be continued on supervision. The parole officer will be asked for their recommendation and it will be noted, although most automatically recommend revocation, which is also why the Board rarely pays it much heed.

The Hearing Officer's recommendation is also entered on the form, although not announced at the hearing. They don't prepare their reports until they go back to the office.

The report is then forwarded to the appropriate Board Panel Office where a Panel Analyst reviews the report and attachments and also enters a recommendation. They then present the materials to the Panel, who then vote the case. The Board gives great weight to the recommendations of the Hearing Officer and Panel Analyst.

A final decision is generally made within about 14 days following the hearing and will be returned to the Parole Officer. On a continue supervision decision, the PO has to put together the warrant withdrawal and get it to the County Jail. That usually takes three to five days although some regions are more efficient. The PO has to get the approval of the Assistant Regional Director in most instances before the warrant withdrawal is effective, even in those cases where it is related to Board action.

In a case with a pending charge or where a charge was dismissed, there may also be a preliminary hearing. Most attorneys will simply have that hearing waived to go straight to the revocation hearing...the preliminary hearing is not generally going to result in a case being disposed of so why waste the extra few weeks. Go straight to rev and have everything dealt with in one hearing.

It is generally not in the releasee's best interest to say much during the taking of evidence. You are not going to explain away the allegation and often will have said enough to result in a finding that a violation has occurred. Good counsel can also tend to keep out a number of the affidavits if a witness is not present, although they cannot tell the witness not to show up (that would be tampering). Although the subpoena does have legal force and is technically actionable if ignored, I am unaware of any private citizen having been arrested for failure to appear at a parole revocation hearing.

There are nuances that come into play with a lot of different allegations, but in a nutshell, that describes the basic process and identifies who the major players are in the process...

Last edited by Kay; 09-17-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Made it a sticky.
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
AlwysHisWife (11-29-2008), ArabicBeauty1 (10-17-2009), Atomic Songbird (02-11-2013), a_coleman (09-16-2008), britecloud (01-28-2009), catwoman1314 (12-08-2010), charleshorseiii (05-02-2017), c_crawley (12-08-2008), danielswife1970 (11-15-2008), dannymsgirl (04-23-2009), dfwtexan (10-13-2011), Dillon's Wife (09-17-2008), Garrett's Girl (02-26-2009), Goldyloxn4bears (04-25-2010), goopkat (12-26-2008), GraysonMom (09-16-2008), jade266881 (04-14-2013), julylady58 (07-08-2009), JusChillen (02-17-2010), Kay (09-17-2008), KBridge (04-24-2011), lormur (09-16-2008), LovinMYman09 (03-14-2011), Mark2008 (01-26-2009), me&him4781 (11-18-2011), missingmybaby1 (09-27-2008), Missstark (01-01-2017), MONKEY5252 (06-23-2009), mrs.robinson210 (07-28-2011), Munny (09-16-2008), Myguysinmoco (01-04-2009), normab50 (10-18-2009), RobinsMan (07-23-2009), sadeyesford (06-24-2009), Stonesmom (08-24-2009), tbarnes39211 (04-16-2013), tqwhite (11-27-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 PM

thank you my fiance had her revocation hearing on the 11th in gatesville...the hearing officer recommended discharge....i should be finding out in the next 2-3 weeks if she is discharged or has to serve the next 11 months in jail...praying for her to get discharged and come home

her actual parole was finished in june of 2007 and the warrant was out since november 2006...so i dont believe they would put her back on parole....its either discharge or serve time
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Donation Award 

Lynn, I so appreciate you were willing to provide us with this information and to which ever Moderator that made it into a sticky, thank you. I'm sure that I was not the only one that did not understand the revocation process. Thanks again. You are just a wealth of great information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lormur For This Useful Post:
LovinMYman09 (03-14-2011), Munny (09-18-2008)
Old 11-27-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
I received the following via PM...

If you have the time, would you please explain to me in lay terms how a revocation hearing goes. Who hears it, if the person hearing it makes a recommendation, then who has to give approval? I am just curious as to the interworking of the revocation process. How long after the hearing is it before a final decision is made. this is something of which I know nothing.

As I would imagine that more than one person wants the nutshell version, I have opted to just create an open post.

The process begins long before the arrest on a parole warrant. Contrary to what some believe, a parole officer does not just *have* someone arrested. They have to complete a report of violation and submit it to the central offices in Austin. There are also some reports for monitor violations that go directly to Austin and bypass the supervising officer entirely. ONLY AFTER THE REPORT HAS BEEN REVIEWED AND DETERMINED TO HAVE MET CERTAIN CRITERIA WILL A WARRANT BE ISSUED BY A PAROLE ANALYST.

In other words, it was not the PO that decided to have someone arrested but rather someone in Austin. Certain due process criteria do have to be met in the report and there are also a number of instances in which there is no discretion given to the analyst.

Once the warrant has issued, it is published either Statewide in TCIC or Nationwide in NCIC. Not all warrants are published nationwide. I won't go into the decisions related to publication but most could probably guess them just using some common sense.

Once published, law enforcement can make the arrest on a parole violator's warrant, and the releasee will be booked into the county jail in whatever county the arrest occurred. There is no requirement to be housed in the county where the releasee was being supervised. If the arrest occurred out of state, the releasee will be extradited directly back to TDCJ and enter through the Byrd Unit.

Once in custody, it must first be determined whether there are new charges in addition to the parole hold. If there are, those charges should ideally be disposed of prior to the Division moving forward to scheduling a hearing. A pending charge removes some of the Board's options if they continued supervision...and a lack of options makes it easier for them to decide to revoke someone.

If there are no pending charges, the PO should be out to serve the 48's (Notice of Allegation and Rights in the Hearing Process) within I believe five working days. If a hearing is requested, it will usually be scheduled within about 10 to 14 days depending on backlogs with scheduling...some occur sooner, but few later.

The hearing is conducted by a Hearing Officer who is an employee of the Board of Pardons and Paroles and who is given some training in the nuances of administrative law. They are NOT parole officers nor are they employees of the Parole Division. It is important to remember that the Board of Pardons and Paroles and the Parole Division are two separate agencies!!!

If the hearing officer makes a finding that a violation has occurred, they will move to the adjustment phase of the hearing, which is where the information is introduced about why the releasee should or should not be continued on supervision. The parole officer will be asked for their recommendation and it will be noted, although most automatically recommend revocation, which is also why the Board rarely pays it much heed.

The Hearing Officer's recommendation is also entered on the form, although not announced at the hearing. They don't prepare their reports until they go back to the office.

The report is then forwarded to the appropriate Board Panel Office where a Panel Analyst reviews the report and attachments and also enters a recommendation. They then present the materials to the Panel, who then vote the case. The Board gives great weight to the recommendations of the Hearing Officer and Panel Analyst.

A final decision is generally made within about 14 days following the hearing and will be returned to the Parole Officer. On a continue supervision decision, the PO has to put together the warrant withdrawal and get it to the County Jail. That usually takes three to five days although some regions are more efficient. The PO has to get the approval of the Assistant Regional Director in most instances before the warrant withdrawal is effective, even in those cases where it is related to Board action.

In a case with a pending charge or where a charge was dismissed, there may also be a preliminary hearing. Most attorneys will simply have that hearing waived to go straight to the revocation hearing...the preliminary hearing is not generally going to result in a case being disposed of so why waste the extra few weeks. Go straight to rev and have everything dealt with in one hearing.

It is generally not in the releasee's best interest to say much during the taking of evidence. You are not going to explain away the allegation and often will have said enough to result in a finding that a violation has occurred. Good counsel can also tend to keep out a number of the affidavits if a witness is not present, although they cannot tell the witness not to show up (that would be tampering). Although the subpoena does have legal force and is technically actionable if ignored, I am unaware of any private citizen having been arrested for failure to appear at a parole revocation hearing.

There are nuances that come into play with a lot of different allegations, but in a nutshell, that describes the basic process and identifies who the major players are in the process...
SO, if my husband did a 20 year sentence for a 3G offense and served 14 years and has been on the street for 5 years a 3 months and he has 9 months left of his term and he catches a misdmeanor cas for assault. Would he loose his street time?
Old 11-29-2008, 05:11 PM

Exclamation i really need to know

thanks i need to hear this my husband went before the board 11-24 and now he waitng on an answer.my question is how long will it take to get the answer back and is there any way i can call and find out the answer?
The Following User Says Thank You to candyt6222 For This Useful Post:
LovinMYman09 (03-14-2011)
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqwhite View Post
SO, if my husband did a 20 year sentence for a 3G offense and served 14 years and has been on the street for 5 years a 3 months and he has 9 months left of his term and he catches a misdmeanor cas for assault. Would he loose his street time?

I was told that 3G offenses lose their street time. My husband lost his when he had his parole revoked. He had 3 years of good street time. And when he got revoked. He caught his case a few months before he came off paper and they actually revoked him a couple weeks before his discharge date.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I love my Sunshine

Thanks for the post I wish I had found this 2yrs ago. My husband's didn't happen like this his was very unusual in his circumstances. But we all know how the system works and most of the time it is never in our favor. I am one of the lucky ones in that I get my husband back in just a few short weeks. My husband did lose all of his street time and had to serve an additional year in prison after serving almost a 1yr in county. He also has to do parole all over again with 1 1/2. We got screwed but at least we have each other.

I am here as always if someone needs a pair of eyes to cry to or yell out. lol
Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 PM

My guy got picked up on a couple misdemeanor charges at about 7 a.m. and by 11 a.m. his parole officer had a blue warrant issued. That was in mid Oct 08, I'm shocked that he got approval from Austin that quick if thats how they do it. I only hope once they get to his rev hearing that they will move just as fast.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 AM

Thanked 1,700 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqwhite View Post
Absolutely!! That's the whole reason for revoking them, to reset the "clock" to where it was the day he was released. He'll start at the 14-year mark and work toward the 20-year mark (probably get another parole somewhere along the way).
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanked 1,700 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myguysinmoco View Post
My guy got picked up on a couple misdemeanor charges at about 7 a.m. and by 11 a.m. his parole officer had a blue warrant issued. That was in mid Oct 08, I'm shocked that he got approval from Austin that quick if thats how they do it. I only hope once they get to his rev hearing that they will move just as fast.
They had to make sure he wouldn't bond out and get lost.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:51 AM

Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2008 View Post
Absolutely!! That's the whole reason for revoking them, to reset the "clock" to where it was the day he was released. He'll start at the 14-year mark and work toward the 20-year mark (probably get another parole somewhere along the way).

I'd just like to point out that this is only true in this case because the offense was "3g" (aggravated). If he had not been serving a sentence for, and had never before been convicted of, an aggravate offense then he would not have lost his street time in that situation. Once he had completed more than half od his parle period then they can only hold him for the time remaining.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM

My husband was sentenced to 6 years back in '02. He had just a couple months left on parole when he got in trouble again. His parole was revoked and he got a new case (and signed for 6 years). TDCJ picked him this week. They booked him under his old number, old charges...not under the new case. The Offender Search on the TDCJ website doesn't even list the new offense. None of his offenses were aggrevated (3g). Does this mean he gets credit for his 'street time'? Is he going to come home in a couple of months? Or is this just wishful thinking?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,974 Posts

Unfortunately, I think that it is wishful thinking. Even if they missed it when they processed him in you should expect they will eventually figure out he has a new sentence to serve.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Default Confused pls help!!!

MY LIFE PARTNER ABSCONDED FOR 7YRS ,TURNED HERSELF IN 2MO. AGO(PAROLE EXPIRED 09/2002)P.O. DOESNT GIVE ANY ANSWERS;EXCEPT GIVE IT ANOTHER 30 DAYS. PLS SOMEONE HELP HOW LONG IS THE ACTUAL PROCESS WHEN HE SUMBITS PAPERWORK FOR VOTE????
Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
julylady58

My husband is going to his revokation hearing 7/13/09, which is next Monday. He has a lawyer, and I am hoping he gets released. How long will the release take if he is released? When will my baby be back home in my arms again?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:10 PM

Our famiy has been living a nightmare for some time now - my son spent a year behind bars - my only child - he is married and has a baby 17 - jmonths old - he was released in April but lived in the halfway house util May and finally released with an ankle monitor now he has already been back in jail twice for nothing PAROLE VIOLATION! I dont know where to turn was in hopes someone might have more insite to help me. He has an ankle monitor but it doesnt always work right - he even sleeps in the living room on a matress so he is certain he is close enough to the monitor. We had a letter from Verizon stating it is not the phone lines, but he still sat in jail for 3 weeks before a parole hearing and after another week was told the Parole Board found no reason he should have been incarcerated in the first place.

The GPS tracking shows he is never where he is not suppose to be that is not the problem its the monitor relaying to the phone line - (the phone line is a plane jane phone, no answering machine, no caller ID, no internet connection) the cops rush the house like he is a murder and he is a sitting duck always where he is supppose to be and always doing what he is suppose to - its harrassment plain and simple and I dont know where to turn - can anyone give me any advise??

Stonesmom

Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 PM

I am interested in hearing different stories on anyone who has had an experience with a parole revocation when a new felony charge ( less than the current offense on parole for, same type low level drug offense)) is the reason for the revocation? How many never made parole again and had to finish the original sentence? Anyone go to a ISF or SAFP after the new charge was disposed? anyone remain on parole with modifications? Those who went back ever not get parole but rec'd mandatory supervision?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM

Well I'm trying to look for some answer. Well my husband had been out for about 7 months and caught another case a dwi which is his frist one we go to court this friday for that case he has been sitting in county going on a month this friday and his po said that she is not going to see him until the 3rd week on november we have already said that we are going to go for a parole board hearing bou what is his chances its only a misdomer B would he get restated
Old 11-11-2009, 11:17 AM

I have heard of paroles being revoked for ditty UA tests. I also know there is a big issue with these tests having false positives and the courts and POs know it. Is there not any thing we can do to stop a loved one from going back over a flase test? Would any one be interested in writting to our elective local ans state representatives in hope of saving someone else from going back to prision over false information?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Mom of Offender
Donation Award 

Default Legal representation for parole revocation

Is the parolee given any legal representation prior or during the revocation process? If it is in their best interest not to say much during the hearing who presents his side of the story? Asking as my son was warranted and picked up on a parole violation, no charges, after completing almost half of his 10 month parole time on a 3 year sentence.

Toni Morrison Beloved
Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Donation Award 

My husband was on parole for a drug offense. He was paroled out in 06, and stopped reporting and was on the lam I guess for these past 4 years. He was gainfully employed, he left the state, his mom died and he got back on drugs and got arrested in Louisiana, however his charges were dropped so he was extradicted on the parole hold but no new charges. I paid up his parole fees and sent him proof of job, 09 tax forms, anything that I could think of to show he was living right altho wrong. So his violations are 2 failures to report (one a home visit, one an office one), changing his address (po came to house and I said I hadn't seen him in 2 weeks, but he still lived here, po decided he'd moved and then 1 violation for leaving the state. He already had the revocation hearing and gave his proposed parole plan and is waiting for an answer....so what do you all that know, think? I read the parole point system, and he does pretty well, his age, his education in prison, no new charges, fees paid....whatcha think?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Donation Award 

Talking Austin says that TDCJ is not going to revoke him

I called the Austin parole number and they said that he wasn't going to be revoked. They didn't have the release information but said that he would be released. I wonder how long it will take. I'm so excited I'm ready to do cartwheels and cheer to the world. I'm EXCITED>

Old 05-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Waiting Patiently

what # can i call to find our what my husband going to get on the revocation decision- husband got 2 case in poss ind to deliver bein in since 10mth already- & given 15yrs runin current, signed a month ago- parole hearing said they'll revoke him and gonna waiting on an answer from Austin- how he was serviing a 3yr sentence on DWI- and did 1yr&1month in jail and did 18 months street time- he need to 5 mths to be off- what you think the discharge him?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:38 AM

Default Wrong Imprisonment

I have a son who is being wrongful impriosnment. He was sentenced to 25 years in TDCJ did 12 years was paroled on December 2004 did four years and two months flat time for non aggrvate case.

He is a mental ill person left the state of Texas did not catch another case but was sent back to prison in February 2009. He suppose to had a hearing without taking in consideration he was a mental ill not on his medication. Now they have him at Coffield still making up cases on him. He was beatly bad by a TDCJ guard in 2001 and these guards got away with this gave him a case out of Huntsville, and he was made a plea deal when thye knew he is a schizophrenia and much of his Organic Brain syndrome problems is a result of this beating.
The parole board is playing down his mental illness as if he is depress. The parole board has him to discharge 2013 and he has done a life sentence for auto theft and auto joy riding. He was never to be given a sentence of this in the first place due to a jury had decide he was mental and could not be fit to have trial. What a Harris County asst DA did was run under and offered him 25 years plea deal when he was declared mental by a jury.
I wrote and ask fromn Help from Senator Whitmire but this Lawerence Coleman has intercede and I assume is not giving the Senator my letters. I guess this is like Texas juvenill situation. This is how TDCJ coverup their corruption. Please help me if you can. We got alot of corrupt guards working at this Coffeild and UTMB workers falsfing medical health records. A federal judge had review his records in 2005 that is when he went on SSI due to his mental illness.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 AM

Classificationb refuses to move him closer to home and I sent them a hardshipb request due to my medicla health. I had surgery on May 28, 2010 and this Classification also took his street time when he does not had a new case or a 3g sentence. His sentence goes back to 1992. He was given a case by a guard after these fake staff wrote a report dening his special need parole but did the parole division had him on a special need parole when he was out on parole going and reporting three times a week. Also these parole officers are getting kick back when they make up cases to send them back to these private prison like Ben Reid. It is several that is really doing this.