Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 AM

Default Mail to FCI Sandstone

My dear husband has finally gotten his designation. He's going to FCI Sandstone. This is a low security facility. Can I send paperback books directly to him or is it better that I have the publisher mail directly to him? Any experiences mailing to this facility will be greatly appreciated.

Mrs. ARP
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.ARP View Post
My dear husband has finally gotten his designation. He's going to FCI Sandstone. This is a low security facility. Can I send paperback books directly to him or is it better that I have the publisher mail directly to him? Any experiences mailing to this facility will be greatly appreciated.

Mrs. ARP
I have a good friend in Sandstone. You can send paperbacks and magazines directly just write "authorized reading material meets bop policy" and make sure to write the contents on the outside... For example "magazines (3)".

Mail runs very smoothly. Liberal perfuming of letters is permitted!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the info, are there are restrictions on the packaging?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM

I have never had a problem sending paperbak books. I did not know about writing meets bop restriction or whatever. My ex still gets his things very quickly. We sent him hardbacks for his birthday but those do have to come from a publisher or whatever. We sent them from amazon.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 PM

I'm new to all this, what is "authorized reading material meets bop policy" for Sandstone? Would used paperbacks meet that policy? Hardback books are allowed but they must come straight from the publisher. Right? Thanks in advance!!
FROGsgrace
Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM

You can find the information you need about sending books, mags, etc. in the BOP Program Statement on Incoming Publications. You can find it at:
bop.gov/policy/progstat/5266_010.pdf
They don't make it easy to find some of the information on their site. Anyway.....
On page 3 of that program statement, #3 states in low security facilities paperbacks can come from ANY source. Pages 3 and 4 have alot of info regarding what meets (or doesn't meet) BOP policy.
Hope this helps a little....
The Following User Says Thank You to wildrose712 For This Useful Post:
FROGsgrace (03-14-2009)
Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 PM

Thank you Wildrose!! Now it’s my turn to share some information. This week I learned a lot about Sandstone from an inmate who had just left there. The guy said Sandstone is really, really nice - I don't think he wanted to leave, but he was being moved to a minimum. I guess there is a bit of a turn-over because most people aren't long-term and once they are eligible for minimum, they move them on out. I think the guy was there for 2 years and never once saw a fight. He said that incoming inmates usually get checked in within a few hours...they will go through a bunch of checks - physical, dental, shots, etc...as a part of "registering". For the first month or so an inmate will be assigned to work kitchens while he puts in requests to work some other shift. He talked a bit about the ground maintenances which would require shoveling up to 4 feet of snow in the winter, but they only have to shovel a certain distance ( 7 poles?) and then they are done for the day. There are many other jobs and they house the inmates according to what work they do… so the UNICOR people are in their units, the grounds maintenance in theirs, etc... They live in open cubicles (no doors) with one other cellie. Each level has their public bathrooms, washing machines to wash their own clothes and microwaves. The top floor of each unit has all the TVs and they have to listen using their radios. Lights-out are at 10:00, but people are free to go watch TV till midnight or whenever, just most of them would probably rather sleep since they keep busy there. They are never really on lock-down. They have great recreational stuff - big fields, jogging track, etc….there are a lot of indoor options for the cold weather as well. He said that they have a lot of programs that you can sign up to study - welding, cooking… He said some of them just require watching certain DVDs to get credit for it (like one class was to watch the Band of Brothers series). I don't know how long the waiting lists are for them. The guy said the food there is actually pretty good - good portion sizes as well. They even got steak for New Years!! And every Wednesday they serve ice cream. They can go to commissary any day, but just once a week. They can even buy ice cream from the commissary, but they have to eat it right away. Inmates probably will spend a bit of money getting set up there. Long johns will need to be on their list to buy, sweats as well. (I just check the weather and they are running around mid-30s for their highs right now)….For now that’s all I know, will share more as it becomes available.

Blessings, FROGsgrace
Old 02-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Sandstone Prison

My son is also at Sandstone. If there is a prison to go to, I feel that is close to the best. My son is very satisfied with the food and the programs. Unlike other horror stories I have heard, this one is a great choice. There are no fights and if there are its minimum. The programs are great, he is currently in the auto repair class and finished the horticulture one in early spring last year. He said there is a theatre there to watch movies and an ice cream shop. The movement is controlled but the COs leave you alone. It's a low security and and the gateway to home for most in there so all they want to do is their time and go home. I have seen a different attitude in my son since he has been there. He doesnt have that imminent fear in his voice about being jumped or hurt. I am very pleased that he is there. I have visited several times and the staff is great. I can hug my son all day long. Only thing that is bad there is it is 16 hours away from me so I don't get to visit as often but whats more important is he is stable and somewhat happy(happy as you can get in prison) His other option would have been Milan FCI which is only an hour from my home. I hear thats not the greatest place to be so he chose the FCI sandstone. All I want is my son to be stable and safe and thats the best place to be if you are incarcerated.
The Following User Says Thank You to kittyclark For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-25-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 PM

Was needing information on visitation .What days ? Times ? How are the vending machines. Do I need quarters , ones or a mixture . Any info would be appreciated I am in Texas and need to prepare for a visit soon .I hope .
Littlebird
Old 05-07-2019, 02:45 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,874 Times in 12,632 Posts

Here's the link to the Sandstone web page and visiting rules.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/sst/

I hope you hear from folks who have visited there recently. Have a great visit.