Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Default How much money does a prisoner need?

please tell me how much money it takes for someone to live inside? i'd like to hear from someone that knows.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,890 Times in 886 Posts

IMO the money is not necessary. It's a want not a need. They get 3 meals a day among other things.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Yeah they get free meals but my man said it's to little, they don't get full.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 AM

[how much money to you send him ?quote=nakeisha99;4641833]IMO the money is not necessary. It's a want not a need. They get 3 meals a day among other things.[/quote]
Old 05-09-2009, 10:49 AM

They might Be offered 3 meals a day but are they eatible? My guy is allowed $40 a week, for cigarettes and food, pens and etc. Things the prison doesn't furnish.He uses every cent of it.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Daisypetal

Do you know what kind of food they get to eat in the Polunksky Death Row in Texas?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 PM

My dude is in a parish correctional center, and as far as I'm concerned his "needs" never end. According to him, he has to pay for his own toothpaste, deoderant, soap, and any other hygiene products he may need; the only thing they give them is tissue. He also has to pay for his haircuts, cigarettes, and other stuff. They serve 3 meals a day, but he says its not enough and he needs food for later. He has to buy his own t-shirts, socks, drawers, everything. I can't even send him this stuff. I get paid twice a month on the 8th and th 23rd so I told him I would send him 50 dollars out of each of my checks. He said that he'd be able to make it with this, but it always seems that if I send him 50 dollars out of one check, he is always flat broke before I get my next one. I told him he has to learn to sacrifice and make better financial decisions because it's not my fault that he's locked up, it's his. He doesn't realize how much he is costing me each month. I send him money for his commissary, I keep money on my account for the phones, and because he is 6 whole hours away my monthly visits run about $100 with the cost of gas and food. And on top of all he still wants books and CDs. I find myself going without the things I want (like new shoes or going to a concert) in order to take care of his needs and wants. Before he got locked up he told me he wouldn't need my financial assistance, he only needed me to write him letters; how quickly that turned out to be untrue. Right now he's costing me about $300 a month. The things we do for the men we love...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs. lsmith For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (05-10-2009)
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

Thanked 4,309 Times in 1,765 Posts

There are people out there with no one to send them anything, and they get by just fine. I sent mine $20-$40 a month, plus kept a phone account and drove to TX every two weeks to see him while he was in County. Once he went to TDCJ, I sent him $40 at least once a month - he learned to get by on that, and I sent him paper and envelopes, so that he wouldn't be without those things.
The food isn't great, in TX they get a lot of beans (cheap source of protein) but it could be way worse. Just because it isn't what he wants to eat, don't mean he won't eat it.
So if you're really asking how much you should send him, what you need to ask yourself is how much can you afford to send him, and he can learn to get by on that.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. lsmith View Post
My dude is in a parish correctional center, and as far as I'm concerned his "needs" never end. According to him, he has to pay for his own toothpaste, deoderant, soap, and any other hygiene products he may need; the only thing they give them is tissue. He also has to pay for his haircuts, cigarettes, and other stuff. They serve 3 meals a day, but he says its not enough and he needs food for later. He has to buy his own t-shirts, socks, drawers, everything. I can't even send him this stuff. I get paid twice a month on the 8th and th 23rd so I told him I would send him 50 dollars out of each of my checks. He said that he'd be able to make it with this, but it always seems that if I send him 50 dollars out of one check, he is always flat broke before I get my next one. I told him he has to learn to sacrifice and make better financial decisions because it's not my fault that he's locked up, it's his. He doesn't realize how much he is costing me each month. I send him money for his commissary, I keep money on my account for the phones, and because he is 6 whole hours away my monthly visits run about $100 with the cost of gas and food. And on top of all he still wants books and CDs. I find myself going without the things I want (like new shoes or going to a concert) in order to take care of his needs and wants. Before he got locked up he told me he wouldn't need my financial assistance, he only needed me to write him letters; how quickly that turned out to be untrue. Right now he's costing me about $300 a month. The things we do for the men we love...
honestly,it's your choice to buy him books and cds and go without things for yourself. you could say no. as far as the food goes though,marc has told me more than once they get served child size portions alot of the time.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsbeth View Post
honestly,it's your choice to buy him books and cds and go without things for yourself. you could say no. as far as the food goes though,marc has told me more than once they get served child size portions alot of the time.
You're right about the books and cds being my choice. Initially that's all i sent because his family was supposed to be sending money. Now that I have to send the money, the books and CDs have been cut off unless I get a bonus at work or something, then I might send him a little package. I hate to think of him being in there with nothing to do or no music to listen to. I just have a really soft spot in my heart for him no matter how hard I try to be sometimes.

Last edited by mrs. lsmith; 05-10-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Marty's Wife

Thanked 9,536 Times in 3,740 Posts

The lowest he can get by on is $30 a month. The most being generous is $100 a month.

He has sent me his canteen order list with the amounts of what everything costs and what he buys. Usually its all food and few personal items such as deodorant. And yeah, it all goes.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 AM

I've been sending my man money and putting money on the phone for calls since January...so 4 months. Well technically 3 months b/c he was in the hole for 25 days. I've sent him $560 cash (money orders) and put $550 on the phone! I saw him this past Saturday and told him we gotta make some changes. We agreed to $80 to be sent at the 1st of every month and it's up to HIM to make it last. And cut back to talking on the phone just 3 times a week so hopefully that will cut the phone down to around $50/month. He said he didn't realize how much money he had blown thru until I told him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purserswoman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM

I'm sorry...I rambled on about me and didn't answer your question lol! How much I think depends on the person and what you're ABLE to send. They get 3 squares and have a roof over their head so some people opt to send zero. I try to make Tony as comfy as possible....but after sitting down and adding it all up, he's gonna have to ease up on that 'comfort' just a bit...lol!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM
yay!!!! we talked....

is ther rules in different states about what you can or cant sent them ....i knowthe obvious but others....
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I love my doofas!

Thanked 7,132 Times in 3,711 Posts

I think a little money goes a long way. Obviously you should only send what you can afford. But I'm sure a few extra food items wouldnt go astray. We all know that prison food sucks and is barely edible!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
angel12569
Donation Award 

My husband knows I just can't afford it and tells me not to worry about it. He works and buys whatever is necessary and he has a roof over his head and three meals. I have to take care of our four kids, pay a mortgage and I ain't a welfare mother or food stamp recipent, so its all on me. I dont even visit every week like I use too, maybe once a month, due to new job and having to work weekends. Plus I don't accept collect calls, so we basically live on letters and if anything it has made us appreciate each other more. So as mentioned above it should be what u can afford not what they need, cause u didn't put him there. Plus I am a true believer of not making them too comfortable there, I want him to always remember how hard it is, I'm not going to make it easy for him. But that is my opinion and my choice.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM

I would say depending on how much things cost $80 to $100 a month for canteen. I say this because the meals they receive tend to be in small portions. You also have to think about feeding schedules. The last meal in most prisons in my state is between the hours of 4 and 5. That is a long time to go without eating. Add in stamps, paper, pens, and personal care items and it can get kind of expensive.

Just because they have somewhere to stay and get 3 meals a day doesn't mean it is sufficient. I didn't include calls because I feel it is a personal choice, but we do like a $100 a month easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthernGyrl For This Useful Post:
xgot420issuesx (05-26-2009)
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,607 Posts

I send my husband on average about $140.00 a month. They take 20% of the top of that for fines and costs. He needs to buy his own soap, shampoo, toothpaste, razors, tooth brushes, envelopes, paper, pens. I mean, it all adds up. I couldn't imagine letting him get by on what the state provides. And the food, I'm sorry , but anything labeled "not fit for human consumption" isn't good enough for my dog, let alone my husband. He isn't an animal and although the state may choose to treat him as such, that sure the hell doesn't mean I will. I make him as comfortable as I can. I look at it this way, the money I am not spending on food for him at home, I send him so he can have food to eat there. We aren't allowed to send anything other than books, so when he wants a new book, I send him one. Oh and magazines, he has a couple subscriptions too. Twice a year, we are allowed to purchase $50.00 worth of stuff out of a catalog, it is all just snacks really, only food. So I do that for him also, the kids enjoy picking out things for him.

If I didn't have it, he wouldn't get it, plain and simple. But I make sure I have enough money every month to send him. When he is home, he works damn hard including many hours overtime to make sure we have everything we need and want, so I do the same for him.
As for calls, that bill is $150.00 a month, every month.

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Last edited by xgot420issuesx; 05-25-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 AM

Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,130 Posts

don't start off spending too much,give him what he needs not wants cuz some tend to get spoiled and after awhile it's no asking and alot of demanding,i made that mistake and it not only cuz me hardship but my relationship all together,so i say too you give what you can without making a hole in your own pocket to do so.