Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Post Court Summary words

I don’t even know if i’m posting in the right forum but I have some questions.
Does anyone know what “Advancement” on a court summary document means? My boyfriend had court last week and I wasn’t able to go, we haven’t been able to talk, so I looked up his court summary, and it said “Advancement” but I have no idea what that means. Another court date he had, his summary says “Docketline Entry” and another one says “Drug Court”. Can anyone help me with all those entries? I feel so lost not knowing what they mean
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeWithJay View Post
I don’t even know if i’m posting in the right forum but I have some questions.
Does anyone know what “Advancement” on a court summary document means? My boyfriend had court last week and I wasn’t able to go, we haven’t been able to talk, so I looked up his court summary, and it said “Advancement” but I have no idea what that means. Another court date he had, his summary says “Docketline Entry” and another one says “Drug Court”. Can anyone help me with all those entries? I feel so lost not knowing what they mean

Good morning LifeWithJay,

I'll be moving this over to the California-specific forum for Legal Help. You may get better answers there. I'll also be posting an additional response once I've made the move.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,200 Posts

Okay, now that I have moved this, my next question is, what county is the court in? Different counties can have different phrases for their dockets.

"ADVANCEMENT" likely means (but I can't say for certain) that the case is advancing in whatever court he's in. I have not seen this phrase specifically before, but it may be that it has been advanced from a regular court to drug court, or that he is in drug court (since "drug court" is appearing) and he has advanced in the program somehow. Again...knowing which county would be helpful as someone else in that county might know the SPECIFIC reason for it.

"ADVANCEMENT" could also, possibly, mean that the case has moved from a preliminary phase to trial phase after a preliminary hearing. However, since I see "DRUG COURT" involved my initial thought is that this is not a felony case (if it is, please correct me.)

"Docket Line Entry" is nothing to really worry about. It just means that a hearing of some sort was held in regard to the case, not an arraignment, not a preliminary hearing, not a trial. It could have been the judge hearing a motion without the defendant present. It could be something as simple as the court receiving a letter or some sort of documentation regarding the case and that receipt being acknowledged in court and thus being acknowledged on the docket.

As to "DRUG COURT," that probably means the case either is in drug court or was referred to drug court.

Again...without knowing which county this is out of or the nature of the charges, I can only really explain what makes sense and what I've seen on dockets in the past. Someone else might have a more specific answer. But it is always helpful to know as many details about the case as possible (not necessarily the exactly what happened, but the county the case is being tried in and the charges the defendent is being tried on.)

Hopefully if this doesn't answer the questions it at least gives you a bit more information on what sort of information you need to look up next.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
LifeWithJay (05-02-2019), sidewalker (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:21 AM

Thank you so much, it’s in the Los Angeles county.