Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

View Poll Results: How Much Do You Send Each Month?
0-$19.99 13 5.18%
$20-$39.99 25 9.96%
$40-$59.99 34 13.55%
$60-$69.99 16 6.37%
$70 or more 142 56.57%
I don't send any money 21 8.37%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts
Default Poll- How Much Money Do You Send A Month?

Hello, all.

I have to do a poll for my statistics class, and I was hoping my fellow PTO family would help me out!

How much money do you send your inmate per month?

I'm not talking visits or phone time, just straight money on his books for commisary.

Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Donation Award 

Hi,

I appreciate the question and the nature of the poll but:

My question for you is are you thinking about the variables, constants, measurement scales and measurement of position for this poll? I'm sure your professor will ask the same and ask you to define them in your paper or presentation.

For example: I don't send money because I've been asked not to but to put the money toward mail and quarterly packages. There may be many reasons that some of us don't put money into the commissary account or put a certain amount into a commissary account i.e. mortgage, rent, groceries, electricity, gas, phone calls from our loved ones, no job, only have money for mail and that's just a start.

Statistics can be skewed any way we want them to if we don't do the narrowing of parameters and anything less than a solid basis for a poll would be junk result no?

With all due respect I would suggest you ask a new question for your poll that has much narrower parameters that embrace the fundamentals of Statistics so you wow your prof and not have the prof questioning your basic knowledge and logic skills.

Please take this in the spirit it was intended, as a help. I don't mean to be harsh, just passing along what was my downfall in Statistics in both College and beyond too broad and indefensible when asked about the above and much more.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sere For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-02-2010), jasonswifeyaz (09-19-2010), KiwiPP (11-30-2018), shenson (07-05-2011)
Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 AM
Mostly Shopping

I send an average of $100/month and around $200 in November/December.
This is for food, hygiene items and stamps. Mainly food though, because I don't want him to go to the chow hall. I send him stationary supplies (except greeting cards, which I told him time and time again not to waste his money on) so he doesn't waste his money on those commissary prices for those.
Good luck with your class!
"These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of anyone else. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences"

The Following User Says Thank You to ShoesHappen For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

thanks, sere, for your advice- but this is a VERY basic class-technically only a section of my main math class- and this project only entails getting 50 answers and charting them three different ways- pie, line and bar graph. i told my professor how i was collecting my data yesterday and she was happy with it.

but thank you for your advice...if i ever end up in an advanced statistics class i will keep it all in mind. ;-)

Last edited by britecloud; 03-02-2010 at 08:35 AM..
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

I used to send a little sporadically,whenever.but now i've started sending between $20-$40 a month faithfully as i only recently found out he is severely allergic(his skin) to the state issued soap.I think the phone should play into it too.I spend at least $100 a month on that and he spends money too on it(the phone) when he can.interesting question!!Good luck with your class!!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
I send an average of $100/month and around $200 in November/December.
This is for food, hygiene items and stamps. Mainly food though, because I don't want him to go to the chow hall. I send him stationary supplies (except greeting cards, which I told him time and time again not to waste his money on) so he doesn't waste his money on those commissary prices for those.
Good luck with your class!
thanks, rad.

his grandmother is the only one who sends consistantly- she has $30 taken out of her bank account every month and sent to him. this he says covers his basic necessities- hygiene, vitamins and stamps.
i send when i have the money- and when i get my student loan payments and my tax refunds i send him a fair sized chunk which he is very conservative with because he never knows when he's getting the next one! when he gets it he fills his locker with his "lockdown reserve food supply" and then lives on what's left for however long he needs to.

I also send all his stationary, which now with the phones being in, lasts him forever, cause he only writes when he cant call.

michael is good, though- he never pressures me for money, and he is always appreciative of what i do send. i read the horror stories of women on here that get guilted through temper tantrums and ultimatums into sending so much they can barely survive on the outside and i am thankful that my husband wouldnt do that (of course, he also knows id tell him to go scratch, so he prob knows better). he understands the financial pressures we're under.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:23 AM

I send my friend 20 a wk...He never asks I just do it so his time is not so miserable,Being a tall one the food he is served is never enough..So I am happy I can help him out.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Mostly Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by britecloud View Post
he fills his locker with his "lockdown reserve food supply" and then lives on what's left for however long he needs to
Haha! Yeah, the lockdown food! Very important!
I also told my husband to keep certain items in his locker in case he gets sick, such as the energy drink, some Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, etc.

Quote:
i read the horror stories of women on here that get guilted through temper tantrums and ultimatums into sending so much they can barely survive on the outside
That is the worst! I recall the thread of a girl who was talked into sending her husband $50/week while she had a tough time keeping a roof over her and her daughter's head. Scumbag, I tell ya!

They don't NEED money in there, whatever someone sends them is a gift and privilege!!! (yeah, total soap box)
"These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of anyone else. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShoesHappen For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-02-2010), dianam1972 (03-03-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM

I send $150 a month. I know it's a lot but it's my way of taking care of him when I can't actually be with me.

I joke with him that for a year after he gets out he has to spend an $150 a month on me.

M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heismyman For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-02-2010), jasonswifeyaz (09-19-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
I love my inmate

Thanked 1,079 Times in 635 Posts

Well, I sent my last payment last week, as he's getting out on the 18th and his account will soon be closed. But, I answered with what I used to send him. I'm with you, He'sMyMan! I've been keeping a tab! haha

The Following User Says Thank You to Michelep68 For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Texas and Ohio
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
They don't NEED money in there, whatever someone sends them is a gift and privilege!!! (yeah, total soap box)
Well, I don't know about where your spouse is but each unit and each state is very different.

In Arizona where my cousin is they have co-pays to see medical ($5 a visit) and they are charged for electric (up to $6 a month).

Now in Texas with all the gastro issues going around I sure would want to send someone a few bucks for toilet paper Really would be bad to have to allocate your weekly 1 roll when ill. My home of all women we use TP like crazy for blowing noses to taking care of business.

I also think vitamins are a necessity with the lack of fresh veggies and fruit. I'm not talking about quantity of food but the quality of nutrition.

And thermals depending on where you are in the state for winter with no heaters and one thin blanket.

My goal is to keep my friends and relatives healthy not wealthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to KathleenTX For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-02-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Default money

I don't send him money, partially because I don't have a lot myself; but mostly because he's never asked for any. He's never asked me to send him anything except letters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn070484 For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-03-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
thanks, sere, for your advice- but this is a VERY basic class-technically only a section of my main math class- and this project only entails getting 50 answers and charting them three different ways- pie, line and bar graph. i told my professor how i was collecting my data yesterday and she was happy with it.

but thank you for your advice...if i ever end up in an advanced statistics class i will keep it all in mind. ;-)
Britecloud,

I'm so glad you took the critique and advice the way it was intended. Smiling now, do you think your prof might take on a larger study?

As she is happy with your subject she might want to think about a paper for publication with an in depth Statistical Study of the Canteen Account funds and the myriad of factors that effect Canteen Accounts. Usually profs need to publish or perish to make tenure, this would be a really radical but amazing "publish" coup.

Again, just a thought.

Best wishes on your project, you have my full support on any questions you may need to ask.

Last edited by Sere; 03-06-2010 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
The Following User Says Thank You to Sere For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-12-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Donation Award 

About 25/30 whenever he say's he has no money and is in need of his basic items( hygiene , stamps and a little food ), which is about every 3 month or so. His family sends him money and he say's for me just to take care of myself, he is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to redroses For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-12-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Missing My Baby

I try and make sure Lonzo has the max in his account every 2 weeks so I send $85.00 around the 1st of each month and if he says he spent $65.00 the last time he got commissary then I know he has $20 swinging and I'll make sure to send at least $65. He always has $85.00 in his account unless he forgets to tell me he spent more or needs extra. I don't make money a big deal between us; I absolutely know he would do the same for me so I just do what I hope will make him comfortable and happy. Marcia
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonzo's Lady... For This Useful Post:
britecloud (03-12-2010), Endings (03-13-2019)
Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone. I actually had to use the results of a survey I posted in the "long timers" forum because I needed 50 responses. I did get an A - the teacher said it was the first prison related survey she'd ever had anoyone do :-)
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Default how much i send

I send $25.00 a month then my mom sends $25.00 a month
Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 AM

DWI 3rd degree felony
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM

I send what is comfortable for me, and I know whatever it is will be comfortable with him.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 AM
*~Loving Me Some Him~*

i send at least $40 every two weeks when i get paid. When i got my taxes i sent a lump sum so i wouldn't have to worry about sending anything for a while. It will just be there when he needed it.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM

I send $150 every two weeks, is that too much?? ive never really though about it and my husband is sooo super grateful every other friday he tells me Thank you baby you dont know how much i thank and appreciate you.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val912 View Post
I send $150 every two weeks, is that too much?? ive never really though about it and my husband is sooo super grateful every other friday he tells me Thank you baby you dont know how much i thank and appreciate you.
i dont think anybody can tell you what is too much or too little, val- it's whatever youre comfortable with

i do have one question, though- is your hubby still in county or is he in TDCJ? i ask because I didnt think they could spend that much in a month...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Neither my husband is in federal detention and hell be transfered to the institution when he is sentenced. You know ive never asked him how much he spends a month ?? or if what im putting is too much or not enough.

Quote:
i dont think anybody can tell you what is too much or too little, val- it's whatever youre comfortable with

i do have one question, though- is your hubby still in county or is he in TDCJ? i ask because I didnt think they could spend that much in a month...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

ah...well that explains it..i know federal inmates are allowed to spend more than those in TDCJ.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:50 PM

do you know the max allowed for deposits??? cus i wanted to put a lump sum so that way i dont really have to worry about it and just pay the one time fee?

Quote:
ah...well that explains it..i know federal inmates are allowed to spend more than those in TDCJ.