Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service, electronic monitoring, etc. in New Jersey should be posted here.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Donation Award 

Default Tully House Info - New Jersey

Tully House (Essex County)
Darryl Hooper, Director
28 Peerless Place
Newark, NJ 07114
(973) 297-1771
1-888-683-3777
www.cecintl.com

Directions: I'm from South of Newark, so I'll give you the directions from the Turnpike. Take Exit 14 ~ Follow signs to 22 West. It's a little tricky, you really have to watch the signs cause there's a whole bunch of roads converging at the same point. But make sure you get on 22 West. Once on 22 West, you make the first right on to Frelinghuysen Road. Once on Frelinghuysen it's real quick. Just a couple of streets up on the right is Peerless Place. Park on Peerless if you can, otherwise park on Frelinghuysen. There is no parking lot, just street parking.

They cannot have visit the first weekend they are there, but can have them on the next weekend. They can have phone calls and letters right away and packages right away too.

What you can bring to them/What they can have.

-6 jeans/pants
-7 shirts total (could be colored tee shirts/polo shirt/button down's etc.)
Shirts or any clothes for that matter, can not be red or blue (gang colors) and they cannot have anything violent on them. Must have at least one dress shirt and tie for later on when they progress through the program.
-1 coat
-1 hoodie
-1 sweat suit
-3 foot wear (sneakers/boots/shoes)
-1 Shower Shoes
-2 belts
-7 socks
-7 underwear
-7 white tee shirts
- Any thermal shirts even if they are color other than white is considered under clothes. I don't know if it counts as white tee shirts.
-3 Towels
-3 Wash clothes
-1 Twin size sheet set (although they can't use them during the week for counts. They have to have state issued sheets on the bed)
-1 Blanket - no Comforters (again, can't use during the week for counts. They have to use state issued blanket)
-Lotion (non alcohol)
-Deodorant (non alcohol)
-Toothbrush
-Toothpaste (non alcohol)
-brush/comb
-hair ties ( My guy has a ponytail!-He's an old hippie! LOL)
-nail clippers
-Razors
-Battery operated razors (no electric or rechargable)
-Shaving cream
-Q-tips
-Mouthwash (non alcohol)
-Powder
-Batteries
-Nothing with alcohol in it. (they are very strict about this and scrutinize EVERYTHING!)
-ear plugs (for sleeping cause it's loud there)
-Cigarettes (no rollies allowed)
-Matches only, no lighters allowed
-He can have cash on him, not sure what the max is. Money orders can be mailed, cannot be dropped off at visit.
-black pens
-paper
-stamps
-net laundry bag (important for doing his laundry)
-books/magazines (I dropped him off a hard cover book) (no violence)
-cd player-battery operated (you can send him open cd's just have to be originals no boot leg or copies you have made)
-watch (he had to have the CO approve)

I think that's everything on what they can have/can't have list. If I find out any more information I will post it to this thread.

Phones:

-They use PCS phone system.
-The phones come on at 8:00am and go off at 11:00pm.
-There are no timed calls, so no more 60 second lady! Woo Hoo! You can stay on as long as you like.
-You can set up an account by either calling PCS (you must call from the phone number that you are setting up) at 1-888-847-3206 or 1-888-288-9879. The second number is their customer service line. Or you can set up your account online at www.pcsdailydial.com.
-For me, I set up a Vonage account with a local number to Newark and the first night he was there he called me and we talked for 25 minutes. My call was $2.18! Yay!
-By the way they CAN call as soon as they get there, so try to set up your account before they are moved or at least that day. If you want a call right away that is.

Visits:

-They cannot have visits the first weekend that they are there. They can have them the next weekend. Make sure your "resident" puts in his visit slip ASAP.

-You can visit both Saturday and Sunday if you so desire
-Visit are as follows:

Residents with last names that begin with A-L
Saturday: 11AM-1PM
Sunday: 2PM-4PM

Residents with last names that begin with M-Z
Saturday: 2PM-4PM
Sunday: 11AM-1PM

If you live more than 50 miles from the facility have your loved one request extended visits. You can then stay for both visits, from 11AM-4PM.

-You CAN bring in home cooked meals or any other type of food as long as it is in clear containers. If you use tupperware type containers, lids and bottoms must be clear. If not you can use clear baggies. And you must have a clear bag to carry everything in. So Zip-Loc has those BIG clear bags. These work perfectly.

-You CAN bring in drinks, but they have to be unopened and in plastic bottles, no glass or cans.

-Bring in your own paper plates/plastic spoons and forks/napkins, etc.

-There are NO vending machines.

-Tuesday Family night visits: 6:30pm-8:30pm (not exactly sure of the time, call there to make certain.) The first 1 hour you have to sit in a family counselling session. The next hour is visit and they give you a meal.

-Weekend visits are really pretty nice. Most of the times you get your own table and don't have to share. The guards are not on top of you at all. They just walk around every so often. Not a bother at all. There are only 2 microwaves for the visit, this can be a pain sometimes. Waiting in line to get something heated up.

-Times to drop off things:
Mon, Wed, Thu & Fri: 9AM-11AM and 5PM-8:30PM
Tue: 9AM-11AM & 3PM-5PM
Nothing can be dropped off on the weekends during visit.
You can mail packages at any time.

-They do have commissary there, they just cannot keep food items at their bunks. No eating allowed at their bunks. They have to use the vending machines for snacks if they want and eat it in the cafeteria. They are also allowed to order out food on the weekends. That's why they need cash. And they have to purchase their laundry soap from them.

FURLOUGHS:

They are eligible for their first furlough when they enter Phase 2. They will get two 12 hour furloughs a month. Next Phase they will get four 12 hour furloughs. And finally - 24 hour furloughs.

Additionally, when they progress to the last phase, they are able to go out to work. The reason they need shirt and tie is for job interviews.

I hope I was able to answer most of your questions. I will update this post as I learn new information. Good Luck to you all!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inspiration For This Useful Post:
iLoveYouKevin (05-29-2014), Lady Owusu (10-25-2010), reasonpq (01-14-2011), wifejohnson (09-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
You+Me+Love = Forever

Thanked 1,116 Times in 850 Posts

Thanks Joanne!!!! You're wonderful.

*~Courtesy of Stinkerbell~*

Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,641 Posts

thanks jo! how long are the phases?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Peace Comes from Within

Thanked 1,439 Times in 772 Posts

Jo, once again you are amazingly thorough. Thank you.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Donation Award 

What a bunch of great information. Thank you for sharing. Have a great day ladies!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
thanks jo! how long are the phases?
They all progress through the phases at their own rate. Doc has only been there for about a month, maybe a little more and he is already tested out of orientation, phase 1 and now phase 2! Each person goes at their own pace.

Your welcome everyone for the information. I know how frustrating it is to not know anything about the facility your loved one is going to, and I just wanted to spare someone else that frustration!

PS: Just learned that if the home that you are being paroled to is more than 50 miles from the facility, you get 24 hour furloughs from the get go! Yay Me! We go right to 24 hour furloughs!!!! God is good to me!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inspiration For This Useful Post:
iLoveYouKevin (05-29-2014), jasonzwifey2011 (03-08-2010), KeyLime44 (03-08-2010), LovemyMyl2012 (03-28-2011)
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration View Post
Just learned that if the home that you are being paroled to is more than 50 miles from the facility, you get 24 hour furloughs from the get go! Yay Me! We go right to 24 hour furloughs!!!! God is good to me!
woohoo

Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 AM
You+Me+Love = Forever

Thanked 1,116 Times in 850 Posts

Awww shucks Jo! Soo... maybe we might be in luck!

*~Courtesy of Stinkerbell~*

Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Happy it is cool again!

Thanks Jo! And Congrats on the soon to be furloughs! I know you both cant wait!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 PM
you're almost home baby..

Although this is almost a year old thanks so much!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 PM

All this info was very helpful to me. I am visiting from NC, so can stay for the extended weekend visits. Happy to say that my sweetie was approved for work, which begins in a couple weeks. Counting down the days till he gets out. <3 Greg <3
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 AM

Default Tully House in Newark, NJ

All of the posts I see here are pretty old and I am searching for someone who may know if everything has remained the same since the last post or are things different now. My husband found out yesterday that he will be leaving Talbot Hall and going to Tully House although we don't know when that will take place. I just would like to know the necessary information so that the transition will be smooth for the family. If anyone can please let me have the run-down on this facility I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifejohnson View Post
All of the posts I see here are pretty old and I am searching for someone who may know if everything has remained the same since the last post or are things different now. My husband found out yesterday that he will be leaving Talbot Hall and going to Tully House although we don't know when that will take place. I just would like to know the necessary information so that the transition will be smooth for the family. If anyone can please let me have the run-down on this facility I would greatly appreciate it.
I don't know anyone who is there now, but I would go with most of the information that has been posted, there may be some changes, but it won't be drastic. The only major change that I know about is the fact that you can't bring food to visit any more, but I don't think that anything else has changed. The information that's on here, is good basic information. Like what you can bring to them, visiting hours, etc. It's a good place to start. When you actually do get there, if you find out anything new, it would be nice if you posted the new info here!

Good luck!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration View Post
I don't know anyone who is there now, but I would go with most of the information that has been posted, there may be some changes, but it won't be drastic. The only major change that I know about is the fact that you can't bring food to visit any more, but I don't think that anything else has changed. The information that's on here, is good basic information. Like what you can bring to them, visiting hours, etc. It's a good place to start. When you actually do get there, if you find out anything new, it would be nice if you posted the new info here!

Good luck!
Thank you so much as I am new to this site it does seem like a good source. The taking food to visits was one of my main concerns so this is definitely helpful. I will keep you posted on how things turn out and if there are anything that I can post to help others I will definitely do so.
thanks again
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifejohnson View Post
Thank you so much as I am new to this site it does seem like a good source. The taking food to visits was one of my main concerns so this is definitely helpful. I will keep you posted on how things turn out and if there are anything that I can post to help others I will definitely do so.
thanks again
Just made a phone call to the facility and all of the information is accurate, in fact you can still take food during the visit as long as it is in clear containers. Now I have to wait 10 days once my husband gets there before I can visit him but that is quite okay because I am so excited right now. I will keep you posted because some days are better than others if you know what I mean so there will be those times when I have to communicate with those who can relate to our situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to wifejohnson For This Useful Post:
Inspiration (02-19-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Donation Award 

does anyone know what brand of deoderant and lotion I can bring? I know Tully is the worst with this as far as the alcohol goes so I wanted to see if anyone knew. I can't find a deoderant that doesn't have alcohol and he breaks out from the gel type deoderant. Same thing with the lotion any ideas?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Donation Award 

UPDATE

Food is no longer allowed at visits. During holidays they are allowing some food only on designated weekends. If you are bringing food it must be in all clear containers or it will not be allowed. The bags you are bringing the food in must be completely clear as well or your items will be denied. Drinks can not be brought in glass or cans they must be in 20oz plastic bottles or a bottle of a lesser size. Residents no longer take trips to church and other places due to escapes.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Tully House

This place is a joke. My Fiancé was doing great up until he was moved to this crack house I mean halfway house. How a place like this even exists in this day and age is beyond my intelligence. He is slipping backwards rapidly and there is nothing I can do about it. All I looked forward to was him moving now I'd wish he'd go back down and finish his time there. I am mortified... This may just be the straw that broke the camels back. Waiting is one thing but not being able to even talk to your man is like another. Who can have a relationship like that. Hoping God will get this place shut down. Feeling Powerless... Been waiting 2 years w another year and a half to go like this won't last very much longer which is sad we were so close.