Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 AM

Question Court fees.. what happens if you don't pay?

Hi,

I have a friend that took a deal and pleaded guilty to 2 felonies. He has $6000 for court fees and fines. The major chunk was $3960 for 3 years a probation which costs $110 a month... which is the maximum they can charge for probation

They sent the bill to Department of Revenue for his county and now they are trying to collect it from him. Forcing him to pay $300 a month. He is unemployed. My question is what can they do to him if he does not pay. Can they violate him? Can they garnish his wages later on? He told me that they said they do not send it to a collections company and put it on his credit. He said there is no victim restitution involved.... only state and county restitution which he said was only $220.

We have heard that they can only garnish your future wages if you have victim restitution. Is this true?

So what does the Department of Revenue do? Do they just keep trying to collect or can they report you to your probation officer and the officer can violate your probation based on not pay?

This goverment only sounds like they are after $$$$

Last edited by kimbocandy; 02-02-2011 at 02:58 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbov10 View Post
Hi,

I have a friend that took a deal and pleaded guilty to 2 felonies. He has $6000 for court fees and fines. The major chunk was $3960 for 3 years a probation which costs $110 a month... which is the maximum they can charge for probation

They sent the bill to Department of Revenue for his county and now they are trying to collect it from him. Forcing him to pay $300 a month. He is unemployed. My question is what can they do to him if he does not pay. Can they violate him? Can they garnish his wages later on? He told me that they said they do not send it to a collections company and put it on his credit. He said there is no victim restitution involved.... only state and county restitution which he said was only $220.

We have heard that they can only garnish your future wages if you have victim restitution. Is this true?

So what does the Department of Revenue do? Do they just keep trying to collect or can they report you to your probation officer and the officer can violate your probation based on not pay?

This goverment only sounds like they are after $$$$

If he is on probation and it is a condition of probation that he make these said restitution payments . Then he could look at a violation of probation I can also inform you that his driver's licenses will be suspended for failure to pay court ordered fines or restitution. Since he is presently unemployed he may wish to go back in front of the judge and explain his present financial situation and ask for a lower monthly payment I will give you a link to a booklet you may wish to review to see where you stand in this matter ( should say your friend) http://www.victimcompensation.ca.gov/docs/forms/victims/restitution/benchguide.pdf
Review the California Penal Code sections also mentioned in this booklet
Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 PM

how would you know if it is a condition on the his probation?

As stated... there is no victim resititution. Only State and County restitution. How do you individually pay restitution since the DOR does not allow you to pay the fines individually?

Why would they suspend your license? That would make it even harder to find a job....
Old 02-07-2011, 02:32 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbov10 View Post
how would you know if it is a condition on the his probation?

As stated... there is no victim resititution. Only State and County restitution. How do you individually pay restitution since the DOR does not allow you to pay the fines individually?

Why would they suspend your license? That would make it even harder to find a job....

First sorry for being so slow at getting back to this .
Your conditions of probation are explained to you at one or maybe even two places Day of sentencing If the person has formal probation when they report to their probation office Plus you sign your conditions of probation.

If you review the link in the above post you will find how the judge imposes restitution and what can happen for failure to comply with the order. Driver license is a privilege, if you ignore court ordered fines your privilege to drive is suspended I am not trying to sound hard ass ed by any means just giving it to you the only way I know how straight forward
Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 AM

thanks for your reply

what if they are not on the conditions of the probation? only thing that was on the conditions of the probation was not to catch any new charges...
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 AM
WiLLiNg-2-WAit

he needs to get a Financial Evaluation (meaning they evaluate u financially and can adjust payments. u might be able to get it down to $25/case per month. but YES,as a person who has MULTIPLE cases open with fines believe me you WILL pay it sooner or later.. just go put urself or have your friend put himself on calender for a financial evaluation. thats what i did with my payments. Hope i helped a little..
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 PM

wow when the department of revenue did the interview for the payments they said they wanted $200/month and if he did not accept the $200/month then whole balance would be due in 48hours and if he wanted to lower the payments then he would have to ask the judge...

what a crock of shit...

how do you expect someone to pay thousands of dollars with no job???? idiots...

also what happens if he files for bankruptcy?

Last edited by kimbocandy; 02-11-2011 at 07:29 PM..
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,829 Times in 11,078 Posts

Judgments are not voided when bankruptcy is filed. The government always gets its due.

Time to see the judge. . .the worst s/he can say is no.