Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC) Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the California State Prison, located in Los Angeles County, California.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default IFC/Questions/Information and Issues

This is a thread for matters that you wish your ICF Rep to address in the monthly meetings with the warden.

If you do not get a response from the Rep please go directly to the IFC website:

State Family Council

P.O.Box 161422

Sacramento, Ca. 95816-1422

edit part: Link to old ifc thread.
http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522953

Last edited by sidewalker; 08-22-2013 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Adding link to old thread_sidewalker
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 10:53 AM

Thanked 2,971 Times in 1,905 Posts
Post Lancaster Family Counsel

It seems that there is not any information about the family counsel... How do we get out concerns heard??? Do anyone know when they meet or if they even meet anymore??? Complaining to one another is not going to fix anything we have to voice our opinion to the people that can change the things

Old 06-17-2012, 11:08 AM
missing you

Good question- id like to know too
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 AM

I asked about it yesterday when I was at visit... The CO said they meet every 2nd Friday at 10 am but he don't think they have had a meeting in a minute

Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Is everyone interested in starting or joining the Family Counsel??? We have to be the voice for our love ones complaining is not going to fix anything we have to take action and be heard... I'm sure no one enjoys the visiting situation and how long it takes to get processed...

Old 06-18-2012, 02:39 PM

I am ..let me know what I need to do.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicat25 View Post
I am ..let me know what I need to do.
I definitely will.... I'm trying to get more information but i will let you know once I get the facts

The Following User Says Thank You to Heluvedme1st For This Useful Post:
calicat25 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM
missing you

Yes please we really need IFC here. I have been to mule creek, pelican bay SHU, Corcoran, high desert and NONE of them were like this visiting!!!!! This is AWFUL! I live far, a 6 hr drive, so I prob can't participate in meetings but so many of the guys in there have family and loved ones who live close. I'm so surprised there is no IFC that is getting stuff done. I heard many visitors say they haven't visited anywhere else... You need to know this is NOT acceptable!! Visiting should be a nice experience. It is UNACCEPTABLE to have children and elderly people waiting in the sun and for that length of time. It's unacceptable to allow some things but not others.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscrazylove
Yes please we really need IFC here. I have been to mule creek, pelican bay SHU, Corcoran, high desert and NONE of them were like this visiting!!!!! This is AWFUL! I live far, a 6 hr drive, so I prob can't participate in meetings but so many of the guys in there have family and loved ones who live close. I'm so surprised there is no IFC that is getting stuff done. I heard many visitors say they haven't visited anywhere else... You need to know this is NOT acceptable!! Visiting should be a nice experience. It is UNACCEPTABLE to have children and elderly people waiting in the sun and for that length of time. It's unacceptable to allow some things but not others.
You all have a temporary warden there right now, but he is the BEST. Scott McEwen...I suggest you get an IFC going and get some progress made before he leaves. He was most recently at CAL and we made wonderful progress there. Also, there is a thread here on pto...in the general forum for CA on "Tips for Building a Productive IFC" that may help you. You are so right about families waiting in the heat. McEwen is very family friendly and will assist you to create change.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

Here's the original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Grace
Tips for Building a Productive Inmate Family Council

Start with one rep from each yard, if possible. The council will grow later.
Choose people who are proactive, talented, committed and willing to learn. Complainers will only hurt your cause.
Study the IFC by-laws, Title 15, and the DOM. Knowledge is power and you must know where to find the information that you need.
Follow your by-laws and be sure that each person knows their role and responsibilities.
Insist on full participation of your members. No free rides, personal agendas or fluff. You may not get paid, but make no mistakes, this is a job. If someone is not pulling their weight, let them know. If they can’t or won’t…vote them off. They are wasting time and space on your council.
Insist on respectful, professional relationships for all concerned. This means for staff and each other. No name-calling, finger-pointing or other ill will allowed.
Know who is who and use proper titles at all times! Warden is not “Joe” to you, no matter how well you two get along professionally. If someone has earned the title of Chief Deputy Warden, then they expect you to use it. Likewise, your appropriate title should be used, e.g. Dr. Anderson, Mrs. Lata, Rev. Jones, etc.
Designate a main contact person for your council to work with your prison’s AA/PIO regarding weekly updates. Ideally this is a member that visits each weekend and can provide real time feedback. Each member should provide weekly updates to this member, who shall in turn, report to the AA/PIO.
Document, Document, Document! If it’s not in writing, it did not happen. Especially in actual council meetings. Be sure to record everything.
IFC Secretary should take detailed notes in IFC meetings, but members should as well. Generally, people record different things and you will get more accurate recording of notes this way.
Be positive and proactive. No one wants to deal with woulda, coulda, shoulda. Learn and move on.
Bring solutions, not problems. Example: “We have noticed that elderly visitors often suffer physically from the extreme heat conditions in summer. Please consider the following solutions…XY or Z.”

Use “I” Statements and refrain from blame. It is not useful to point the finger. Instead, try the following:
It is descriptive word for us when we see/hear/notice the issue, because it effects on visitors.
Example:
“It is disheartening to hear of an Officer being rude and demeaning to a visitor, because it is unprofessional and damages staff/public relations”.
“We were frustrated to be informed of the fact that Labor Day will no longer be a visiting day, because time with family is essential for inmate rehabilitation”.

Do it yourself! If you want action, then you must take initiative. If your council notes the need for new games and toys for the visiting rooms, develop a flyer and submit it for approval for posting.
Keep Visitors Informed. You and prison staff will have many less complaints and questions if you simply keep visitors informed through proper posting of minutes and informational flyers. Use electronic media as well like facebook, pto, yahoo groups, etc.
Listen. You can not represent a group of people that you do not speak with. Make yourself visible. Ask questions. Get feedback and ideas from your fellow visitors.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
missing you

Gods grace you have been very helpful thank you. I have been afraid to contact the warden or someone like him because I was afraid of being told my concerns are not valid. I live 6 hrs away so it would b hard to sit in on or attend meetings but I could help in other ways if needed. I will contact the warden now and at least make him aware of my concerns about visiting and a few other things.
The Following User Says Thank You to thiscrazylove For This Useful Post:
God's Grace (07-20-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscrazylove
Gods grace you have been very helpful thank you. I have been afraid to contact the warden or someone like him because I was afraid of being told my concerns are not valid. I live 6 hrs away so it would b hard to sit in on or attend meetings but I could help in other ways if needed. I will contact the warden now and at least make him aware of my concerns about visiting and a few other things.
You would be smart to start with his AA/PIO there at Lancaster. That is the Administrative Assistant/Public Information Officer, and he or she should be your starting point. Best wishes. Oh ext. 5000 will generally get you to the warden's offices. Then ask for the name of the PIO.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
missing you

Thank you
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Is there no IFC at LAC? If not what is the status of this? I would be interested in getting involved in this. Please let me know.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaatevverr View Post
Is there no IFC at LAC? If not what is the status of this? I would be interested in getting involved in this. Please let me know.
No it isn't I have been trying to start one since since I got here in march but no one seen to want to.get involved

Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heluvedme1st View Post
No it isn't I have been trying to start one since since I got here in march but no one seen to want to.get involved
What needs to be done to get one going? This is the first prison I've been to where there isn't one. I was at visit on Sunday and saw on the wall all kinds of information regarding IFC for yard C, but didn't get the opportunity to read any of it. So I'm confused why there is info on the wall if there is no IFC?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM

I tried to make an appointment to visit my son in law at LAC on 12/25/2012 but I do not know how? the last time I visited him on last month they told me that I need to make an appointement , but I registered on Vpass and every time I put the time it said no available. Do any one know how? Thank You
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Inmate Family Council

Everyone: THE IFC-LAC IS NOW ON PTO. Meaning we will check this thread regularly to take note of your reported problems and concerns. If we can (if we already have tackled those issues and know the warden's answer on those), we will provide useful pointers here on the thread, or refer you to misc entities that may be in a position to assist you.

If anyone needs to contact us in a more "private" setting, we can be reached via email and also via our facebook page. To obtain our email address or facebook page info, simply PM me and request that I send it to you. Due to PTO forum rules, we are not at liberty to simply post our contact info on the thread, sorry about that.

Also look for our bulletin board inside the Visitor Processing Center. There you can:

1-See our brand new logo and poster (contact info can be located on poster)

2- Grab our business card on the way out of your visit, so you can have our contact info at hand

3- Fill a form to share your questions, concerns, problem etc, place it inside the black metal box marked "INMATE FAMILY COUNCIL". Prison staff does not have access to that box, it is locked and we have the key. The form can be filled anonymously if you prefer, so do not fear to let your voice be heard. If you are experiencing problems with your visits, we want to hear about it. This is the only way we can become aware of the problems and bring them up to the warden at our bi-monthly meetings to try to find solution to the problems. And no, your name will never be mentioned.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Help us help you!

So please give us your input on this thread or via the form at visiting.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Inmate Family Council

Please bare with me, I will now attempt to read this thread and answer any question I am able to answer on the spot. If your question is not addressed, that means I have to do more research or we have to address it with the warden to find out the answer, so please be patient, I promise all your concerns will be noted and addressed as soon as we are able to squeeze them into our agenda.

Last edited by IFC-LAC; 08-21-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscrazylove View Post
Contrary to your beliefs, there is an Inmate Family Council at LAC. And they work hard to help you and have accomplished a lot over the years...

Here are a few helpful facts:

1- When you enter the visitor processing center, on the left wall, near the front, you will see a bulletin board with a big sign above it that reads: INMATE FAMILY COUNCIL INFORMATION. This clearly indicates there is an IFC at LAC.

2- I am not sure when an IFC was first formed at LAC, and will find out today and let you all know. But I can tell you that I have joined IFC a year ago, in 2012, and they had been going for quite some time already.

3- It took a long time for the prison Administration to finally allow the IFC to have their own board inside the visiting rooms and processing center. This is probably why so many of you didn't think you had an IFC.

4- Everything with prison administration takes a very very long time. There is a lot of red tape etc.

5- The IFC currently consists of only a handful of members. We aim to have one to two reps per yard. Currently we have yard A, B and C well covered in terms of reps, but completely lack reps from yard D. Which is a problem, because we cannot know what issues Yard D visitors are experiencing.

6- To be a rep you must be able to attend the meetings.

7- We meet with the warden every other month, and meetings take place the second Friday of the month at 10AM and last approximately two hours. We have an IFC pre-meeting to go over the agenda one last time at 8:30AM, before heading out to the prison. We meet here in Lancaster.

8- We use an agenda system. Meaning that visiting and other prison related issues are first discussed between us IFC members, then our President puts together an Agenda, based on the urgency of each matter. We can only tackle so much at one meeting, so we have to choose our battles wisely.

9- The agenda is then typed up and presented to the Warden ahead of time so he has the time to prepare.

10- We meet with the warden and other prison officials and go down the list of topics currently on the agenda. The warden listens to each of our concerns and addresses it.

11- We have the option to add a few more last minutes topics if urgent.

12- The entire meeting is recorded on tape. It is then converted into a typed up summary also known as "minutes".

13- The typed minutes are then submitted to the prison administration for review and approval. Once approved they are placed on the Visitor Processing Center bulleting board. Note that it takes the prison staff a very long time to get them posted on there, sometimes as long as two months!! So check back regularly and make sure your READ THE MINUTES!! This way you can find out what issues are currently being tackled by your IFC and how the warden addressed each of those issues. It is your responsibility to educate and inform yourselves and stay up to date with what is going on in your prison, by reading the latest minutes!

14- If the warden grants us changes in the way the administration is doing things, so to resolve an issue we reported, he will inform his staff and the changes may take place immediately. Ex: Inmates were not allowed to wear jackets earlier this year, in the winter, to come to visits and were freezing in the cold wind waiting to be let through that outdoors gate. We intervened. The warden confirmed this was not his wish and the very next DAY, all inmates were allowed to wear warm jackets to come to visiting .

15- Some changes take a very long time to be implemented. Such as construction of additional visitor shelters etc.. Negotiation between the IFC and prison administration continues on all unresolved matters that may be able to be resolved. Many times they cannot be resolved due to lack of budget... But will be once budgets become available.

16 - Some issues cannot be fixed because a change would go against Prison Policy / rules. In which case the warden will let us know that he cannot help us, and explain why. regrettably, there are many issues we cannot fix, no matter how much we would love to. It is what it is. But know that we always TRY.

IN CLOSING: As you can see, the IFC is hard at work for you. We all donate our time, pay for all IFC related expenses out of our own pockets, to help the IFC keep going and continue to help all visitors. We, IFC members, are all visitors, just like you, and volunteers.

Your concerns are our concerns.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Inmate Family Council

HOW YOU CAN HELP YOUR INMATE FAMILY COUNCIL HELP YOU:

1- As of August 2013, we still do not have any reps for Yard D. If you are a regular visitor and visit someone in Yard D, we NEED YOU! You must be able to attend most meetings, they take place every other month, second Friday of the month, at respectively 8:30AM (IFC pre-meeting) and 10AM (LAC warden meeting).

2- All visitors: We need your input. Share your concerns, report a problem. Simply post it here or email us. To obtain our email, PM me and request our contact information, or take one of our business cards located on our bulleting board (left wall, front of room) at the Visitor Processing Center. Best to grab it on your way OUT, cause they won't let you take it in with you.

3- Support your IFC by participating, reading our minutes (posted on our bulletin board) and letting others know about us and how we can help them. Most of all, if you meet or talk to one of our IFC volunteers, make sure to tell them how much their help is appreciated and thank them!

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Last edited by IFC-LAC; 08-21-2013 at 07:53 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IFC-LAC For This Useful Post:
Beebeek1 (11-12-2013), JoeyzTLNT (08-28-2013), sidewalker (08-27-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM
missing you

Today is sept 9, I got a letter from my husband he wrote April 24!!! That is crazy! Also are they using some new machine to open mail? He said he's getting letters with part cut off cause of the way they are opening them. This is unacceptable!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscrazylove View Post
Today is sept 9, I got a letter from my husband he wrote April 24!!! That is crazy! Also are they using some new machine to open mail? He said he's getting letters with part cut off cause of the way they are opening them. This is unacceptable!
No other reports of letters being partially cut off, but we'll inquire. Now let's talk about the April 9 letter. Was the address correct? Had he moved cells after you wrote that letter? What yard is he in? Was he sent at any point during that time to Ad Seg? A little more information will help us narrow down the problem. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Inmate Family Council

Exclamation News flash!!!!

GOOD NEWS: IFC now has business cards available in the visitor processing center. Make sure to grab one on your way out of visiting. Also the brand new LAC VISITOR GUIDE - STEP BY STEP guide the IFC created, in collaboration with LAC administration, will be available for download here on PTO, soon. When it is I will post the link here. It's a must read for the new comer or those who are returning after a long time without visiting.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 PM

I visited my brother this weekend and it was the worse experience especially with a rude CO if I recall correctly his last name is Heck or Hack who by the way threatened to suspend my visits just because I did not go back outside to wait to be called then he asked who I was visiting for the 3rd time and wanted my lil bro's name like he was going to do something?? I did ask on my way out if the visiting sargeant or lieutenant was but a nice female CO told the regular was out but did give me there names which are Diaz and Mergento I think anyhow out of all the prisons I've been at this is BY far the worse why would you have to walk almost a mile to turn in your visiting pass then go back to sit and wait to be called.. after turning in my pass I sat there waiting and I noticed that all they kept doing was pacing around calling the same damn 3 names?? really for the hr and some I sat there that is all they did?? got there at 10 am did not get in till 1pm? and why is it so hard to get an appt here ?? never seen anything like this ever... I can make an appt to visit my husband the night before this is outrageous.. sorry just had to vent!