Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > SULLIVAN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

SULLIVAN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the SULLIVAN HUB - Ulster, Eastern, Woodbourne, Sullivan, Shawangunk, Wallkill, Otisville, Mid-Orange.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Day At A Time

Thumbs up My Trip to Ulster

Went to Ulster for the first time. My first road trip by myself. 2hrs each way, half tank or so of gas (I have a Chevy Cruze and it was at 3/4 tank), and about $30 on E-ZPass. Such a nice, quiet drive. Best part of the drive was seeing all the fall colors in the trees. Oh and the deer.

Anyway.. It was a simple, quick process. You can actually see the Eastern facility from down the road. It looks like a dark green castle. When you turn onto the road, bear left and go past the first facility that has white buildings. When you pass it, you'll see another set of white buildings behind barbed wire, then a parking lot. There is a sign that says "Ulster Correctional" on it. Parking was simple and close to the entrance of the Visitor Center. When you go in, you put everything but your ID in the locker. You only need ONE quarter for the locker. That's it! KEEP YOUR CELL PHONE IN YOUR CAR! You fill out two forms if you're new to the state system, one if you've visited before. Coming from Rikers doesn't count because they're a city jail. If you have money (cash, check, or money order) for your loved one or a package, you fill out the proper papers.

When you're finished there, you walk over to the next building. Here, you give your paper and ID to the guard sitting down. They take your paper, put info into their book, and give you back your ID and visit slip. Then you proceed to the metal detector. If it goes off, you must take off whatever your wearing that could make it do so and put it into a paper bag, give it to a different guard, and go through it again. If it doesn't go off, you get your stuff, get stamped, and go through two gates. Between the two gates, you have to show your stamp under the blacklight.

You go through two doors outside. The walkway brings you to the visiting building. You just walk in, give your visiting slip to the guard, and sit where they tell you. I waited about 10min or so until I saw Sean. In the time you're waiting, you can get snacks from the vending machine. BRING $1 BILLS and at least $20 of them! You can also get picture tokens for $2 per picture. I got one for both me and him. There's a guy who comes in to fill the vending machines about half way through the visit. If you need change, wait until he's done with the machines.

When your loved one comes out, they're briefed by the CO on what they can and can't do. They're not allowed to hold hands, hug, or kiss while kids are close by on the visit floor. They are also not allowed to get up from their seat unless they ask to use the restroom or go to take a picture. There are games you can play with them: cards, Scrabble, Connect Four, books and coloring for the kids, etc. Best part is, your visit time ends when you want it to, unless a lot of people are visiting. But visit hours are 8:30a-2:30p. Games are put back around 1:45p, while bathrooms close at 2p. The latest you can check in is 1:45p.

Today is Oct. 28th, 2012. This was my friend's weekend. Something tells me it goes by even and odd numbers. The next time I can see him is Nov. 10th and 11th. Just figured I'd put that in there so if someone looks at this, they'll know when they can see their loved ones.

If you need to contact Ulster CF for anything, call (845) 647-1670, dial 0, and tell the operator you have visit questions (or whatever the issue). Hope this review helps you guys!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaringGF12 For This Useful Post:
JaeBella (12-16-2014), makeprogress (12-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 PM
ForeverHisJANE

thanks so much for the info. . my guy just transferred here so i needed all the info i could get before my first visit. one question tho, was there any particular reason you weren't allowed to leave your cell phone in your locker? i understand why we wouldn't be able to bring it into visiting rooms but if i choose to take a bus or something there i'm not sure i would want to leave it there either.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:26 AM

Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,712 Posts

All of this is still true for those reading. I would bring more money. Everything is like $3.50 -4.50 (food wise) in the vending machines.

Also before you got through the metal detector, they take your picture. It was simple actually. Their schedule is online for the year for odd and even weekends or you can call.

I left my bag in the car and locked my car keys in a locker. I brought a quarter, but they gave other people a key to other lockers. I assume if you don't have a quarter they provide you a locker.

I waited about a half hour once inside. I got to stay until the end. It wasn't that crowded.

My guys family went the day before and the cars were all searched by dogs. I just parked and went in. They also said it was crowded, but they also stayed the whole day.

Those in the cadre program were allowed to go outside and sit with their visitors.