Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Centinela State Prison (CEN) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centinela State Prison (CEN) - California Topic and discussion specific to Centinela State Prison in Imperial, California.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,921 Posts
Default Centinela State Prison Newbie Q & A Thread

If you are new to this prison and you have any questions, please use this for any general questions you may have that do not fit in any of the other Q&A threads!

Please try to stay on topic!!!

2012 Link Here

Last edited by pj663; 12-11-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM

I need to know what number I call to make a visit appointment?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Default How is this prison???

Hi- Can anyone tell me how it is at this prison for the guys? Many of the guys at my hubby's current priz are being endorsed to move here for the SNY yard that is converting.

Are there programs/ jobs? How do the phones work here? Do they have regular access to the phones and dayroom, yard, etc? how is food, canteen, Vocations?

How is visiting? Is it crowded? Can you kiss, sit next to each other, hug, etc?

Just trying to get a feel for how this place is. Where we are at is really bad. i can't imagine it could be worse, but you never know,.

Thanks so much for your help.!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comehomesoon For This Useful Post:
Redronni (01-24-2014), Triggers Wife (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Hi Everyone,

My husband just got endorsed to come here... I too am wondering the exact things as comehomesoon
Thanks very much!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Triggers Wife For This Useful Post:
comehomesoon (04-02-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM

My guy is also coming here to the new SNY yard. I have the same questions as comehomesoon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimone2004 For This Useful Post:
comehomesoon (04-03-2013), Triggers Wife (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM

Default How is it at Centinela

Hi ladies/men at Centinela-

I know that everyone is busy- but those of us who have loved ones being endorsed to come here- we really need your insight on how it is here.

Even if you dont want to post for the world to see, can you PM me and I can pass it along?

I know that most of you know how scary it is to be transferred to a new place. We are just looking for some information so that we can be prepared.

Thanks so much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to comehomesoon For This Useful Post:
kimone2004 (04-06-2013), slimcuty (09-16-2017), Triggers Wife (04-05-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 PM
True Love Waits

My hubby has been @ Centinela for the past 13 yrs. IT SUCKS, & we are so glad that he has been endorsed to go to CMC. Good luck to all you new ladies coming in. The dress code has been pretty strict, but just recently, it has been just a little bit laxer! The heat in the summer is just as hot as Hell!!! Mail lives up to the term, Snail Mail!! Visiting all depends on which yard ur on----right now, C & D yard is over crowded & visits sometimes terminated early, A & B yards have always been less crowded----especially A Yard, as they only have 4 buildings, rather than the 5 on other yards. One Kiss at the start of visit & one kiss upon leaving, is the "rule" Some things are workable however, when u r cool! I am sure w/all the changes, everything is subject to change however. Call for visits two weeks in advance, Mon, Tues, & Thurs, between 10am & 1pm. You may also sign up in the book on each yard while u are @ visit. Call prison # & ext. 5810. Walk in's are processed @ 11:15. The guys buy the photo duckets @ the canteen. Food is expensive in the machines. If u have any other q?'s get w/me! Good Luck Ladies! We can't wait to get out, in spite of the fact that it is double the mileage for me.
comehomesoon (04-05-2013), Morris1 (04-07-2014), Redronni (01-24-2014), Triggers Wife (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved01 View Post
My hubby has been @ Centinela for the past 13 yrs. IT SUCKS, & we are so glad that he has been endorsed to go to CMC. Good luck to all you new ladies coming in. The dress code has been pretty strict, but just recently, it has been just a little bit laxer! The heat in the summer is just as hot as Hell!!! Mail lives up to the term, Snail Mail!! Visiting all depends on which yard ur on----right now, C & D yard is over crowded & visits sometimes terminated early, A & B yards have always been less crowded----especially A Yard, as they only have 4 buildings, rather than the 5 on other yards. One Kiss at the start of visit & one kiss upon leaving, is the "rule" Some things are workable however, when u r cool! I am sure w/all the changes, everything is subject to change however. Call for visits two weeks in advance, Mon, Tues, & Thurs, between 10am & 1pm. You may also sign up in the book on each yard while u are @ visit. Call prison # & ext. 5810. Walk in's are processed @ 11:15. The guys buy the photo duckets @ the canteen. Food is expensive in the machines. If u have any other q?'s get w/me! Good Luck Ladies! We can't wait to get out, in spite of the fact that it is double the mileage for me.

Thank you so much for responding!!! How much are the photo duckets if you dont mind? Best of luck on your new prison

Beloved01 (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

They have to get the photo duckets from canteen. They are $2 each.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved01 View Post
Thank you so much for responding. How is access to dayroom and yard? Do they get good access to phones etc? Are there stupid split tiers? How about jobs?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:17 AM
LyttleGyrl

My man is also being transferred to Centinella next week for the SNY yard and I appreciate all of the info. I am scared also and not very happy about them moving him so far away. As it is now he is att Chino and 300 miles away from me now he will be 480 does anyone know which yard I would send mail to him at? I looked at the inmate mailing address on the cdc website and see each yard has its own p.o box so I was hoping to find out atleast which yard he would be on so I can send his mail over the weekend. Also I am very curious about how the phone calls work there since it is so far to visit this is vital info to me. Do they use the offender connect company still? Thnx in advance.....Nicki
Old 04-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Banned

I dont know how SNY yards work and never will. The SNY yard is going to be D yard tho. Phone calls are different for everyone it depends on your custody status but they do have to sign up the night before and the calls are through GTL Prepaid advance. The food is terrible from what my husband tells me and the visiting food is mainly frozen foods.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 AM
LyttleGyrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmy2gurlz View Post
I dont know how SNY yards work and never will. The SNY yard is going to be D yard tho. Phone calls are different for everyone it depends on your custody status but they do have to sign up the night before and the calls are through GTL Prepaid advance. The food is terrible from what my husband tells me and the visiting food is mainly frozen foods.
Ok thank you so much for the info. Hopefully he will be able to use the phone when he gets there to let me know all the info but i figure if i need to write before hes able its gotta be better to atleast know what yard hes on so theyre able t narrow it down a little. Thanks again for the info .....
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 AM
LyttleGyrl

Default Housing Assignment Info

Dooes anyone know if there is a phone number that I can call to get my husbands housing assignment? I am also wondering how long it usually takes for them to get into their cells and situated. I know when you first get to a prison they have to wait for classification but since my husband was sent here for the sny yard has that already been determined before his arrival? He was moved here from his last prison on Tuesday and I haventheard from him yet so Im getting worried. I did get a call on tuesday but the phone only rang wice and then hung up and i didnt recognize the # so I called back and it was gtl and the operater said for some reason the call was blocked and she had to fix the line for me and I havent heard from him since.. if i just send a lletter with his name and cdc # to the yard i think hell be on will he still get the letter? Thanks for your help
Old 04-13-2013, 03:44 PM

Hi ladies,
How long is orientation over here? Can they call you while in orientation or they gotta wait till its over? Thanks !!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM

My husband was in orientation for a few weeks and he wasn't able to call. I was able to visit him behind the glass though. I hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to ksop28 For This Useful Post:
Triggers Wife (04-18-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Donation Award 

If your husband isnt new to the CDCR system the orientation is no longer than a week. Normally they should be gp by that time. If not you can atleast have a window visit with him until his oreintation is up.
Triggers Wife (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 AM

Hi ladies I'm new to centinela not cdc but centinela & my honey has been there about two Weeks. Can you guys give me the run down on centinela plz. Any info is appreciated... I'm way from the 559 area & we were 1 of the lucky 1s to get sent way over there
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj663 View Post
If your husband isnt new to the CDCR system the orientation is no longer than a week. Normally they should be gp by that time. If not you can atleast have a window visit with him until his oreintation is up.

Thanks you he's unfortunately not new to CDCR... glad to hear it wont take longer then a week! Appreciate the reply!

pj663 (04-18-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 AM
D&B forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzD View Post
I need to know what number I call to make a visit appointment?
760-337-7900 ext 5806

Old 05-02-2013, 11:29 AM
D&B forever

ok so we cant really tell you much about SNY yard since this is new to us too. But D yard is going to be the SNY yard. So send your letters there.
Visiting, again... we don't know how crowded D yard is going to be. But as for the processing, its a hit and miss. But lately they have been pretty good and will only last about 15-30 mins to get processed.
When we came to CEN it took about 2-3 weeks for orientation. no phone calls meanwhile.
It gets really hot. since its basically the dessert. But either way, we still have to be covered up :P The hottest month is August!
For Housing, call R&R, the ext is under the prison information guide.
The letter should get to him if it doesnt have housing info on it but it will take a longer time
and for jobs... they do have jobs but then again... we dont know much about the sny yard

Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM

I have a question about appointments for visiting. I visit a facility right now that does not require appointments. I fly in from North Carolina and just show up at 8 am on visitng day. My guy is being transfered to Centinela this week. I am concerned that I will not be able to get an appointment by calling that number. I book my flights MONTHS in advance and i visit every 3 months. What if I book my flights this month and try to get an appointment 2 weeks before my travel date in June and can't get it? I read I can walk up, but since I'm coming from NC, I'd like to have the full visit. Is there someone I can talk to about setting up appointments further in advance than 2 weeks?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

As of right now you can not make appt earlier than 2 weeks. The lady that does appts in very rude and i seriously doubt she would care to go out of her way to help you. I am hearing talk about VPass starting up the 19th I do not know how far in advance you can make with vpass. I am assuming it is 1-2 weeks in advance too. Yes walk up is an option if you are not able to make appts. and walk ins start at 11am. I would suggest getting a flight with an option to cancel in case you dont get the appt you want. I drive 8 hours round trip every weekend and take the chance of only getting 1-2 hour visits which has hapened many times. it sucks but it is prison.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 AM

Hey ladies when you guys go and visit where do you stay? Where are the closest hotel/motels from the prison? And about how much are the rooms around there? If anyone can please let me know thanx....
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM
5'3 High And Rising

Donation Award 

I use to stay at the Howard Johnson Motel it's nice, clean and the prices are pretty cool dont know how much has changed since 2008 but it's was nice at that time. Everything is local places to eat, Walmart, etc.
Aquarianik (05-26-2013), DEES_LUVLEE (05-19-2013)