Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC) Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the California State Prison, located in Los Angeles County, California.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default 2013 -2014 LAC Mail Q&A

Anything regarding mail, mailing address, etc... should go here.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 AM

Hello ladies! Does anybody know if cards get to your loved ones quicker than letters do? I sent my hubby an "I Miss You" card, which also included my new home phone number, an was just wondering when he would get it. Thanks!!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 AM
missing you

I don't know for sure but it feels like they do. Post cards are the fastest
The Following User Says Thank You to thiscrazylove For This Useful Post:
tbrent75 (01-26-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Wife of Inmate

Default What's the process of mail at LAC?

Hello everyone,
I am new here and to learning about prison life and what I can expect. I sent my guy a letter back on February 4th, it's now the 21st. I was reading on their website if the letters are not addressed correctly that the inmates will not receive the mail. I was wondering do they send it back to the sender or do they just throw it away? This was my first time writing him in there but he's not new there. He disappeared for awhile and had no way to get ahold of me, well I've been looking for him and found him in there. I don't want to think he's ignoring me because it was never like that between us, but my friends aren't helping with their comments. Could mail just take a really long time to get to them?
Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited by theopportunist; 02-21-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Missing My Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by theopportunist View Post
Hello everyone,
I am new here and to learning about prison life and what I can expect. I sent my guy a letter back on February 4th, it's now the 21st. I was reading on their website if the letters are not addressed correctly that the inmates will not receive the mail. I was wondering do they send it back to the sender or do they just throw it away? This was my first time writing him in there but he's not new there. He disappeared for awhile and had no way to get ahold of me, well I've been looking for him and found him in there. I don't want to think he's ignoring me because it was never like that between us, but my friends aren't helping with their comments. Could mail just take a really long time to get to them?
Thank you so much for your time!

hi yes sometimes mail take long at that prison... my husband always gets my mail later. so try not to stress im sure is them in their not giving mail... hope soon you will get a reply back
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Wife of Inmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl760 View Post
hi yes sometimes mail take long at that prison... my husband always gets my mail later. so try not to stress im sure is them in their not giving mail... hope soon you will get a reply back
Thanks. I am hearing from him more often. I get his letters pretty quick. He said at most it should only take 14 days for him to get my letters, but the last one took 17 days.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 AM

Does anyone know if i could send plain envelopes along with a book of stamps to ASU? Or do they have to be embossed? And how many sheets of paper? Thank you in advance :-)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Wife of Inmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDRA H View Post
Does anyone know if i could send plain envelopes along with a book of stamps to ASU? Or do they have to be embossed? And how many sheets of paper? Thank you in advance :-)
If you call them and talk to the mail room they will tell you what you can and cannot send. So far theyve been really nice to me and helpful! I highly recommend asking them because I believe its different per prison and per unit or block, tricky. Im still learning.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Missing My Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by theopportunist View Post
Thanks. I am hearing from him more often. I get his letters pretty quick. He said at most it should only take 14 days for him to get my letters, but the last one took 17 days.
Ur welcome... thats good u been getting mail more quick. yes that sucks that for them to get our mail they take a long time.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 PM

I have moved and am forwarding my mail to a new address. I have not received any mail from my baby and was wondering if they forward prison mail because nI have received some forwarded mail from elsewhere so I know the order went thru I know some places like child support mail gets returned not forwarded I hope this isnt the case
Old 05-22-2013, 04:50 PM

Call the mail room? What is the number?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:16 PM
missing you

My guy hasn't gotten mail in ASU for over 40 days. They have let some of his through but they are a month old. I keep getting mail from him and he thinks I have deserted him, I feel so awful. Anyone else got a guy in A5? PM me
Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Teenage LOVE Turned Solid

Question Asu stationary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra h View Post
does anyone know if i could send plain envelopes along with a book of stamps to asu? Or do they have to be embossed? And how many sheets of paper? Thank you in advance :-)

150 sheets of paper
20 envelopes embossed or not
1 book of 20 stamps

fyi you can send embossed envelpoes and the book of stamps since some letters can be heavier than others! Hope this helps and not too late
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 PM

Does anyone know process time for cards? I mailed my childhood friend a card on Monday and was curious when he may get it?... Roughly, I know how it can be crazy sometimes! I live in So Cal.
I've never written him before and haven't talked to him in over 15 yrs, so I'm kinda anxious- thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Inmate Family Council

Mail processing at LAC can fluctuate greatly, depending on many factors, such as staff lay outs, staff vacations, lockdowns, etc...

On average a letter or card mailed from CA takes approximately 7 to 9 days to reach the inmate.

In July through beginning of August, letters have sometimes taken 30 days to reach inmates...

At our last meeting with the warden, we brought up this issue and he did confirm they were behind on mail due to staff shortage, but intended to get caught up asap. It appears that in deed, mail stream is now getting back up to "speed"...

Hope above helps (I wish I had a more clear answer, but as you can see, a clear answer regrettably does not exist)
Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Thumbs down Huge Mail Delays

I called LAC about my boyfriend receiving my letters and the sergeant told me no one is receiving mail there is a 35 to 45day delay in the mail room I don't understand why it's taking so long when other prisons receive mail right away..
Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM

I talk yo a lady in the mailroom Monday 8/26 and she told me they backed up bout 2wks. for instance they were doin 8/12 mail on mon.

does anyone know how long before I can send hubby a quarter package if he just got there from CIM.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Inmate Family Council

We are having a Special meeting with the warden next week, I will see if we are able to add this mail problem to the agenda. I believe there might be more than one factor contributing to the delays. One of course, being shortage of staff, but since the start of long delays seem to have coincided with the June riot, it might be that they are scrutinizing incoming inmate mail more than usual. I am only speculating, of course. As I said in an earlier post, the usual average ETA of an incoming letter for LAC is about 7 to 9 days. Hopefully we get back to that "speedier" delivery time frame soon!!
The Following User Says Thank You to IFC-LAC For This Useful Post:
thiscrazylove (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
missing you

My mail going into SHU is still at least 30 days behind. I've talked to mail lady 3 times already and she always says same thing... Staffing issue. So frustrating. Thank you for bringing this up with warden
Old 09-03-2013, 05:36 PM
missing you

To add to that...today I got an envelope, addressed to me with nothing in it ... this is the worst mailroom I've ever encountered. This has never happened at any other prison we have been to.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,681 Times in 7,685 Posts

Hi all!

If I need to obtain the housing information for an inmate at LAC, would it be best to call the mail room or records? I have his ID# but don't know his address. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Hi all!

If I need to obtain the housing information for an inmate at LAC, would it be best to call the mail room or records? I have his ID# but don't know his address. Thanks!
You are better off calling the public information officer there, and see what happens
Old 01-09-2014, 02:01 PM

Does anybody have a quick update on how the mail is running?? I had to send some paper and envelopes yesterday. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Is the mail room backed up or something because the last letter that my babe received was on the 26th of last month, and I sent him some paper, envelopes, a letter, and etc on the 8th of this month??? Thank you.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Unhappy I'm not getting his mail. Anyone know why?

My baby is in LA north county correctional facility and has sent me 5 letters and I have not gotten any of them. I don't know why. Anyone with info please help.
Closed Thread