Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Cujo0626

There is an episode on lockup from KVSP. It's has a part that shows what the family visit room is like inside and what she goes through to get in.. It was from a while back so not sure how much has changed since then. Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to cujo0626 For This Useful Post:
Foxxy_Roxxie (07-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Cujo0626

If you go on YouTube and enter "conjugal visit", it has the 3:57 min. clip of Kern Valley family visit
The Following User Says Thank You to cujo0626 For This Useful Post:
Foxxy_Roxxie (07-18-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 AM

[quote=Foxxy_Roxxie;7340827]Hi ladies
For those of you that have had a family visit.. What are the rooms like? What all is available? TV? Utensils? Knives? Stove? Microwave? Blender?
I may sound silly but just want to get an idea .. Were requesting one and I kinda want to be prepped on what to expect ��

Thank you in advance[/QUOT

First of all it looks like a lil apt inside to one side theres one room n to the other side is the other.. One one room has a full size bed with a crib n mattress, high chair for bby,an alarm radio n a tall i think 6 drawer dresser the other has two twin size beds. Theres a table with chairs, a one person couch n a bigger couch, a tv on a 3 drawer stand , dvd player, a fridge, microwave, boom box. stove( oven actually wrks), pan, pots,plates,cups,bowls, n all cooking supplies, electric can opener. I dont think there was a blender.Theres two fans n ac was locked so we couldnt move the temperature in unit #3 also unit #3 had a queen size bed nt full n had a bath n shower unit #1 only has showers n there wasnt has many cooking supplies as unit #3 .....any other questionsfeel free to ask hope this helps a lil..

Last edited by maritorres; 07-19-2014 at 10:02 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to maritorres For This Useful Post:
Foxxy_Roxxie (07-29-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

[quote=maritorres;7341683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy_Roxxie View Post
Hi ladies
For those of you that have had a family visit.. What are the rooms like? What all is available? TV? Utensils? Knives? Stove? Microwave? Blender?
I may sound silly but just want to get an idea .. Were requesting one and I kinda want to be prepped on what to expect ��

Thank you in advance[/QUOT

First of all it looks like a lil apt inside to one side theres one room n to the other side is the other.. One one room has a full size bed with a crib n mattress, high chair for bby,an alarm radio n a tall i think 6 drawer dresser the other has two twin size beds. Theres a table with chairs, a one person couch n a bigger couch, a tv on a 3 drawer stand , dvd player, a fridge, microwave, boom box. stove( oven actually wrks), pan, pots,plates,cups,bowls, n all cooking supplies, electric can opener. I dont think there was a blender.Theres two fans n ac was locked so we couldnt move the temperature in unit #3 also unit #3 had a queen size bed nt full n had a bath n shower unit #1 only has showers n there wasnt has many cooking supplies as unit #3 .....any other questionsfeel free to ask hope this helps a lil..
***To add to what she said above......you can bring new plastic cooking utensils, plates, cups, bowls (this has to be an approved item though - like not glass or metals) with you, but you will have to leave it at that family visit apt. as a donation when you go to leave.

I think you can donate games and coloring books, crayons, story books paper back to the family visiting apts (but you have to do it for all family visiting apts I believe-you may want to call about this first though)

If you want to donate bigger items (such as fans, dvd players, tvs, radios, microwaves, beds, stoves, etc...) you have to buy for all family visiting apartments and you may have to donate in advance. This is what the prison had me do when I donated all fans to the prison. I had to purchase 2 a piece for each family visiting apt. I had to purchase these through a vendor and then had to have it sent from vendor to the prison. I did this before the visit that away we would have them there during our visit that was coming up at the end of May. Didn't want to be hot. Wanted to be able to cuddle

Also during your family visit if you notice something stopped working (you have to report it to family visiting officer of course) but it would be helpful to advise us on here that away maybe someone could replace the donation. Just a suggestion.****
Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 PM

Wow!!! Thank you ladies for all the information .. This is all extremely helpful!!

Question.. May seem silly but how do we cut stuff? Plastic knives?
Is there AC available or us that the reason you purchased fans T_loveshim100?

And we're allowed to take our own sheets and towels? Yes right?

What do you ladies usually cool? I saw the menu list and kinda created a 2 day menu that included breakfast, lunch, and dinner.. Snacks, desserts, misc
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy_Roxxie View Post
Wow!!! Thank you ladies for all the information .. This is all extremely helpful!!

Question.. May seem silly but how do we cut stuff? Plastic knives?
Is there AC available or us that the reason you purchased fans T_loveshim100?

And we're allowed to take our own sheets and towels? Yes right?

What do you ladies usually cool? I saw the menu list and kinda created a 2 day menu that included breakfast, lunch, and dinner.. Snacks, desserts, misc
They have metal butter knives that are accounted for at the beginning and end of visit.

It does have ac. But it doesn't feel like it cools down enough plus my husband sleeps better with a fan blowing in his face.....lol a little spoiled.

Yes allowed to take 1 fitted sheet, 1 sheet, and 1 blanket not double layered.

set of towels for each person (all towels and sheets have to leave with u at the end of visit)
all this info will be on your family visit pack with rules though.

food - cook whatever you like is on list. Don't forget to order grease, butter, or seasonings like salt, pepper, ketchup, etc because they don't leave the leftover seasonings in the appartment. And don't be surprised when some of the items you selected they don't get you......last visit I had to fry French fries in butter because they didn't buy the grease......and they always say we didn't need that much food so they will refund us money but the food we ordered say all my vegies like green beans they didn't purchase so we had alot of starchy food that visit. And the first visit they gave me grease but didn't purchase my butter for pancakes. I think they do this to try to get under our skin but we just laugh it off and make the best of it. At least we get to see each other. Some are not that fortunate.
The Following User Says Thank You to T_LovesHim100% For This Useful Post:
lassy2013 (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 03:39 PM

1 more thing I forgot to mention. You can bring New CDs & DVDs. They have to be in the original package wrapper and at end of visit you have to give them to the family visiting officer as a donation to family visit.

If I am not mistaken they can only be PG 13, might want to check on this part though.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,596 Times in 7,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_LovesHim100% View Post
1 more thing I forgot to mention. You can bring New CDs & DVDs. They have to be in the original package wrapper and at end of visit you have to give them to the family visiting officer as a donation to family visit.

If I am not mistaken they can only be PG 13, might want to check on this part though.
We don't yet qualify for visits, but I've appreciated the recent posts because *fingers crossed* we will some time in the next year.

Does anyone know if our LO can bring their own CD's from their cell to the visit? I ask because I've sent him some that we both really like. But, you know...it's funny how rules work. Maybe he can bring his toothbrush but not a CD.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
We don't yet qualify for visits, but I've appreciated the recent posts because *fingers crossed* we will some time in the next year.

Does anyone know if our LO can bring their own CD's from their cell to the visit? I ask because I've sent him some that we both really like. But, you know...it's funny how rules work. Maybe he can bring his toothbrush but not a CD.
My husband tried the last visit and they told him he can't bring any of his personal cds. There is a list of things ur loved one will be allowed to bring and that's not much, its like 1 state uniform a few pairs of boxers, a few pairs of socks, state shoes, toothbrush, toothpaste, deo,bar soap, lotion, comb or brush, face towel, and towel. That's pretty much it.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
My husband tried the last visit and they told him he can't bring any of his personal cds. There is a list of things ur loved one will be allowed to bring and that's not much, its like 1 state uniform a few pairs of boxers, a few pairs of socks, state shoes, toothbrush, toothpaste, deo,bar soap, lotion, comb or brush, face towel, and towel. That's pretty much it.

Booo.
But thanks for answering my question...which leads to a second question: if you can bring CD's/DVD's but they have to be left as a 'donation', does that mean there is a selection of both available for visitors to choose from?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Booo.
But thanks for answering my question...which leads to a second question: if you can bring CD's/DVD's but they have to be left as a 'donation', does that mean there is a selection of both available for visitors to choose from?
Yes should be. I said should because I just donated like 8 new DVD's and 1 CDC the last visit I was down. 4 of them was like children movies and the other 4 was more adult, but they was all PG 13 so the kids can still watch most of them depending on age. "Monster's Ink University", "Gravity", "Contagious", "Grown Up's 2", and can't remember the rest sorry...............................

The first visit I do remember "Jumping the Broom" was one. But cant remember the other ones either sorry....
miamac (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Yes should be. I said should because I just donated like 8 new DVD's and 1 CDC the last visit I was down.
Ok. Thanks! I'm going to be coming from out of state for this thing so the less I have to haul/"donate" the better. For my money we can listen to the radio and watch whatever is on TV. Ha! But good to know there may be stuff to borrow.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Ok. Thanks! I'm going to be coming from out of state for this thing so the less I have to haul/"donate" the better. For my money we can listen to the radio and watch whatever is on TV. Ha! But good to know there may be stuff to borrow.
Yeah I know I come from way out of state and it cost alot. But it is up to us visitors to keep things clean, working, and provide because we all know that the prison isn't going to furnish the stuff in the family visit apt. for us to use. At the end of the day someone has to donate it.
miamac (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know I come from way out of state and it cost alot. But it is up to us visitors to keep things clean, working, and provide because we all know that the prison isn't going to furnish the stuff in the family visit apt. for us to use. At the end of the day someone has to donate it.
For sure! I don't mind doing things. Just sucks that you may leave things and then they disappear. :/
Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 PM

OKay so how is everyone coming along on getting the packet for another appointment date? My husband has put in 4 request for another date since July 3rd after they came up from lock down. He still hasn't recieved the packet from the Family Visiting Coordinator. Smh at Kern
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
OKay so how is everyone coming along on getting the packet for another appointment date? My husband has put in 4 request for another date since July 3rd after they came up from lock down. He still hasn't recieved the packet from the Family Visiting Coordinator. Smh at Kern
Nothing yet we should have been having our next fv this month around the 21st n we still havent even got a date. Coordinator is just playing games!!! My hubby turn in the form n everything money been in his books n nothing has bn done..my husband is going to send another packet n see wat happens this time but My husband just 602 him So lets see wat happens now.thats prison sucks i cant wait till he gets transferred to a level 3 prison we've bn waiting for three month now so lets see hw much longer we're going to have to wait!!!!!

Last edited by maritorres; 08-01-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-01-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritorres View Post
Nothing yet we should have been having our next fv this month around the 21st n we still havent even got a date. Coordinator is just playing games!!! My hubby turn in the form n everything money been in his books n nothing has bn done..my husband is going to send another packet n see wat happens this time but My husband just 602 him So lets see wat happens now.thats prison sucks i cant wait till he gets transferred to a level 3 prison we've bn waiting for three month now so lets see hw much longer we're going to have to wait!!!!!
I contacted the Ombudsman yesterday via email about this on going problem with my husband not recieving a packet after he has requested for a new date. It has been 2 months now and he has now requested 4 different times, smh. I also told him other couples are having problems getting their dates as well.

If anyone else is interested in contacting the Ombudsman this is the contact:
Gabriel Vela
Ombudsman
Gabriel.Vela@cdcr.ca.gov
(916) 323-2994
•Kern Valley State Prison
maritorres (08-01-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:42 PM

My luv called me this morning n told me he has no money in his books anymore so we're guess they took the money for our fv food bt we havent even receive any paper work so nw lets see what happens.....im hoping this is a good aign that were getting ur visit soon... we usually get the paper work before they take the money tho??? Mayb his new coordinator does it different i hopethats the case cuz it seems like this is taking forever...

Last edited by maritorres; 08-07-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Old 08-07-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
My luv called me this morning n told me he has no money in his books anymore so we're guess they took the money for our fv food bt we havent even receive any paper work so nw lets see what happens.....im hoping this is a good aign that were getting ur visit soon... we usually get the paper work before they take the money tho??? Mayb his new coordinator does it different i hopethats the case cuz it seems like this is taking forever...

Yeah well don't hole your breath. But I hope you get yours soon and so do I. My husband finally got the packet to request for another Family Visit Date on Monday night. But I havent heard from him since then. So I don't know whats going on at Kern.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Maritorres,
Have your heard anything on your date yet?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Maritorres,
Have your heard anything on your date yet?

No nothing ima see if coordinator is there tomorrow when i go visit so i can ask w a ts going on????
Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
No nothing ima see if coordinator is there tomorrow when i go visit so i can ask w a ts going on????
good luck.hope u get a real answer. This is so ridiculous for us to have to wait so long. Other prisons don't do this
Old 08-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Did u get to talk to the family visit coord today?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Did u get to talk to the family visit coord today?

Yes i asked wat was going on with ur date for our fv that he had already took the money out.....he said he said told my husband that he had to get some papers updated so i left it at that....so then my husband bought it up at visit n said the coordinator finally gave him a response n told him he had to get reapproved tho the counselor n all that cuz of his charges..its stupid because ur suppose to go tho that process every time ur years up n his isnt plus he can go bak n see weve had fv thete before n at Corcoran ..which my husband n counselor have already told him all this before..so my husband just when on n send thr papers to the counselor to get reapproved.....so hopefully we get ur date soon
Old 08-10-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Yes i asked wat was going on with ur date for our fv that he had already took the money out.....he said he said told my husband that he had to get some papers updated so i left it at that....so then my husband bought it up at visit n said the coordinator finally gave him a response n told him he had to get reapproved tho the counselor n all that cuz of his charges..its stupid because ur suppose to go tho that process every time ur years up n his isnt plus he can go bak n see weve had fv thete before n at Corcoran ..which my husband n counselor have already told him all this before..so my husband just when on n send thr papers to the counselor to get reapproved.....so hopefully we get ur date soon
Yeah sounds to me like the Family Coordinator is just trying to make it hard for anyone to get a family visit. Smh.......I think I am going to write a certified letter to the Warden again about this situation. We shouldn't have to beg for what we have coming. They want our guys to follow rules but they can't even follow their own rules that is in title 15. smh