Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Lini Lini is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 50
Thanks: 136
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I am hoping someone will be able to advise. Next weekend I will be visiting a friend in the SHU. Coming from overseas. I phoned for an appointment time for a visit but it was all automated. No actual person. How do I know if the visit is approved? Thanks for any hints.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #27  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 AM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lini View Post
I am hoping someone will be able to advise. Next weekend I will be visiting a friend in the SHU. Coming from overseas. I phoned for an appointment time for a visit but it was all automated. No actual person. How do I know if the visit is approved? Thanks for any hints.
You need to call visiting Monday morning to speak with a CO to make sure your appointment is set
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM
ImJustMe123 ImJustMe123 is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 624
Thanks: 593
Thanked 468 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Can I wear a tank top when I visit? I was finally approved to see my fiancé and am trying to plan my first trip up there
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJustMe123 View Post
Can I wear a tank top when I visit? I was finally approved to see my fiancé and am trying to plan my first trip up there
I'm not sure if this is allowed or not, but I'd hesitate to wear it - plus it's always cold and often raining, I think you'll need to wear more than that anyways. I always wear something that has at least a little sleeve (even a "Cap" sleeve) just to be on the safe side.

I do know (from experience!) if you lean forward and they can see your cleveage, you're top will not be allowed in. (This is for SHU visiting)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 AM
ImJustMe123 ImJustMe123 is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 624
Thanks: 593
Thanked 468 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavisLady View Post
I'm not sure if this is allowed or not, but I'd hesitate to wear it - plus it's always cold and often raining, I think you'll need to wear more than that anyways. I always wear something that has at least a little sleeve (even a "Cap" sleeve) just to be on the safe side.

I do know (from experience!) if you lean forward and they can see your cleveage, you're top will not be allowed in. (This is for SHU visiting)

Good to know. Thank you. I will be visiting in the SHU as well
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 AM
KevinTucker KevinTucker is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manchester,UK
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm118 View Post
Can anyone tell me about visiting times and procedures? For a Level 1 yard, I understand so far that an appointment is not needed for Level 1??? A little lost over here
Can I visit both Sat and Sundays? And times?
hello are you aware about upcoming PBSP meetings. If you have some information please share timings and dress code. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
mnm118's Avatar
mnm118 mnm118 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 913
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTucker View Post

hello are you aware about upcoming PBSP meetings. If you have some information please share timings and dress code. Thanks
No I dont know much info...What meetings? What do they discuss?

Maybe someone else does??
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTucker View Post
hello are you aware about upcoming PBSP meetings. If you have some information please share timings and dress code. Thanks
Meetings for what Kevin? And with who?

General CDCR dress code guidelines can be found within this site on another thread or on the cdcr website itself.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM
ImJustMe123 ImJustMe123 is offline
Account Closed
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 624
Thanks: 593
Thanked 468 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Can I wear black skinny jeans when I visit? I know that the dress code is strict. Most of what I own is either office/work clothes or yoga pants and tank tops. Maybe I should go shopping?

I was going to wear black skinny jeans and a sweater when I go but then someone said no tight clothing so I'm not sure if that will work. Thanks in advance for letting me know
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 AM
mnm118's Avatar
mnm118 mnm118 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 913
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJustMe123 View Post
Can I wear black skinny jeans when I visit? I know that the dress code is strict. Most of what I own is either office/work clothes or yoga pants and tank tops. Maybe I should go shopping?

I was going to wear black skinny jeans and a sweater when I go but then someone said no tight clothing so I'm not sure if that will work. Thanks in advance for letting me know
Good question...Id like to know if skinny jeans will work as well
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJustMe123 View Post
Can I wear black skinny jeans when I visit? I know that the dress code is strict. Most of what I own is either office/work clothes or yoga pants and tank tops. Maybe I should go shopping?

I was going to wear black skinny jeans and a sweater when I go but then someone said no tight clothing so I'm not sure if that will work. Thanks in advance for letting me know

I think this will be a hard question for anyone to answer, as it's finally up to the COs opinion at the time they let you in. It really depends if those skinny jeans are worth risking having to go change - but if you leave a change of clothes in the trunk of your car it wouldn't be that big of a deal. No blue jeans are allowed, but I see you mention black here. Also be sure if your jeans have "rivets" on them, they are not metal as those will set off the ultra-sensitive metal detector.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 PM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm118 View Post
Good question...Id like to know if skinny jeans will work as well
I've wore form fitting pants and never had a problem other than the metal rivets. They aren't too picky unless you're wearing the wrong colors or denim. Just make sure you have an extra change of clothes in the car
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM
mnm118's Avatar
mnm118 mnm118 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 913
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliangirl310 View Post

I've wore form fitting pants and never had a problem other than the metal rivets. They aren't too picky unless you're wearing the wrong colors or denim. Just make sure you have an extra change of clothes in the car
Thanks! Yes ill have backup clothes in the car
Metal rivets?? Im going to google that lol
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 PM
meximami707 meximami707 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..
Posts: 3,155
Thanks: 3,293
Thanked 1,293 Times in 762 Posts
Default

hi ladies...

how about team sports shirts... Raiders for example..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 AM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meximami707 View Post
hi ladies...

how about team sports shirts... Raiders for example..
I have no idea about that one - sorry!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meximami707 View Post
hi ladies...

how about team sports shirts... Raiders for example..
I don't think so. Nothing with logos are allowed either
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 AM
maritorres's Avatar
maritorres maritorres is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 188
Thanks: 70
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by meximami707 View Post
hi ladies...

how about team sports shirts... Raiders for example..
I've see a guy wearing a raiders one at visit one of the time I went before my husband got transferred...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default Important changes to visiting in Pelican Bay

Pelican Bay Ladies! I just got this e-mail today. Sorry there's no paragraph separation - this is how it came in to me:

Welcome to Pelican Bay. As of June 3rd and until further notice visiting is as follows. Shu/Asu inmates please call to schedule your appt Adseg inmates in buildings A1 and A2 please call to schedule your appt. A yard general population inmates have regular visiting with no restrictions. B yard general population inmates have regular visiting with no restrictions. PSU&TPU inmates please call to schedule your appt General population inmates, Psychiatric Service Unit (PSU) inmates, Administrative Segregation ( Adseg) inmates, and Enhanced Out Patient (EOP) inmates on ?B? yard will have visiting every weekend except for the 3rd weekend of every month. The 3rd weekend of ever...y month will be for Transitional Program unit ( TPU ) inmates only. No behind glass appointments will be made for that weekend. New SHU scheduling appointments will be in effect for the weekend of June 15th. We will open the doors at 7:30 a.m. And you may be on grounds no earlier than 7:30a.m. Facility D units 6 through 9 and Facility C unit 12 (transitional program unit inmates only) and the administrative segregation unit (stand alone) will begin processing at 7:45 a.m. Visits start at 8a.m. and end at 10a.m. Facility D units 1-5 and unit 10 will begin processing at 10:15 a.m. visits will start at 10:30a.m. and end at 12:30 p.m. Facility C units 1-11 and C12 non Transitional Program unit inmates only will begin processing at 12:45p.m. visits will start at 1:00 p.m and end at 3:00p.m. To speak with a visiting officer please call 707-465-1000 ext 5425 and someone will answer as they become available. THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM
mnm118's Avatar
mnm118 mnm118 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 913
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Wow...hey how are you able to receive emails from them?

I wonder how the visiting for level 1 is affected by this...I'll call. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm118 View Post
Wow...hey how are you able to receive emails from them?

I wonder how the visiting for level 1 is affected by this...I'll call. Thanks!
I signed up for VPass as I'd heard about a month ago this was going State wide after those prisons who had it running for the test period reported it worked well - I'm guessing this is how I got this e-mail.

VPass won't affect me, as my hubby is in SHU, but I guess it already did some good here or I'd be late for my next visit!!!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM
meximami707 meximami707 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..
Posts: 3,155
Thanks: 3,293
Thanked 1,293 Times in 762 Posts
Default

Hi ladies. .. I asked this question like 2 months ago.. how long is the wait to get approved to visit right now?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meximami707 View Post
Hi ladies. .. I asked this question like 2 months ago.. how long is the wait to get approved to visit right now?
That's really going to depend on the circumstances of each individual. When my son (who is 19) applied it took about a 4 - 6 weeks. At that time, other ladies posted they had there's done in a week. Personally I've never heard of such a quick turn around, but it shows it varies a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM
RemyRed831's Avatar
RemyRed831 RemyRed831 is offline
MMMM....
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND THROUGH THE WOODS
Posts: 36
Thanks: 9
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default New to Pelican Bay

Hi to everyone here,
My fiancé just got to the SHU at Pelican Bay. I am finding myself a bit lost with his recent move, having to learn the ropes of a new prison is somewhat overwhelming. Can anyone give me a quick rundown about this place in regards to visiting and its process, anywhere to stay when I do go visit? Any information will be greatly appreciated. We were not expecting this move so as of now I do not have anymore info on my fiancé other than he is in the SHU. Thanks again....
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM
oc~at~heart oc~at~heart is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cali
Posts: 66
Thanks: 44
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyRed831 View Post
Hi to everyone here,
My fiancé just got to the SHU at Pelican Bay. I am finding myself a bit lost with his recent move, having to learn the ropes of a new prison is somewhat overwhelming. Can anyone give me a quick rundown about this place in regards to visiting and its process, anywhere to stay when I do go visit? Any information will be greatly appreciated. We were not expecting this move so as of now I do not have anymore info on my fiancé other than he is in the SHU. Thanks again....
I don't know about SHU visits, but as far as where to stay there's quite a few hotels you can stay at in Crescent City. The town is very small and most hotels run along highway 101. Highway 101 passes straight through the city. I've stayed at America's Best Value and I've never had any problems there. I've also stayed at Econolodge which is a good place to stay as well. I've had friends stay at the Super 8 which is cheap and it was clean there too. America's Best Value gives you a "prison card" which is basically a coupon that gives you a free night after 9 stays. But I believe other hotels give some kind of perks as well. A quick FYI, the rates right now through August are higher than usual because it's summertime. So don't freak out too much when you try and book a room.

Like I said, I don't know the rundown for SHU visits but from the times that I've been there, there's usually not too many visitors so I've always thought processing goes fairly quickly in comparison to other prisons I've been too. Hope this tid-bit of info helps you at least a little!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oc~at~heart For This Useful Post:
RemyRed831 (06-17-2013)
  #50  
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc~at~heart View Post
I don't know about SHU visits, but as far as where to stay there's quite a few hotels you can stay at in Crescent City. The town is very small and most hotels run along highway 101. Highway 101 passes straight through the city. I've stayed at America's Best Value and I've never had any problems there. I've also stayed at Econolodge which is a good place to stay as well. I've had friends stay at the Super 8 which is cheap and it was clean there too. America's Best Value gives you a "prison card" which is basically a coupon that gives you a free night after 9 stays. But I believe other hotels give some kind of perks as well. A quick FYI, the rates right now through August are higher than usual because it's summertime. So don't freak out too much when you try and book a room.

Like I said, I don't know the rundown for SHU visits but from the times that I've been there, there's usually not too many visitors so I've always thought processing goes fairly quickly in comparison to other prisons I've been too. Hope this tid-bit of info helps you at least a little!

Hi RemyRed,

O-C gave you the run down on the town etc. I visit SHU - there are 3 visiting times and which time will depend on where your man is at. My husband is in D-6 and our visiting has just been moved to start processing at 7.45am. I have posted an update on visiting times that was sent to me ----- it's about 3 or 4 postings above here.

You have to CALL (can't do on line etc) the Monday/Tuesday of the week you want to visit that weekend. Example - for this weekend I'd be calling today. Here's the number 1-707-465-1000 x5425. If you call early in the day (8.30am - 10.30am) that's your best chance of getting to speak to a live person.

COs are very nice up there but "by the books". Have you visited SHU in other prisons, or is this your first SHU visits?

Last edited by JavisLady; 06-17-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corcoran State Prison (COR) Visitation & Dress Code Thread traviesita Corcoran State Prison (COR) - California 473 09-27-2019 10:15 AM
WSP Visitation & Dress Code Thread traviesita Wasco State Prison (WSP) - California 246 04-01-2019 03:54 PM
ASP Visitation & Dress Code Q&A traviesita Avenal State Prison (ASP) - California 121 03-09-2019 08:31 PM
SCC Visitation & Dress Code Thread traviesita Sierra Conservation Center (SCC) - California 127 01-03-2019 06:43 AM
RJD Visitation & Dress Code Thread traviesita R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California 292 09-20-2018 12:32 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics