Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,584 Times in 7,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy_Roxxie View Post
What county was your honey born in? LA County allows a sibling to request BC.
Most do but if needed its easy to double check specifics to each county
San Bernardino Co. His brother is going to try to get it. I feel lucky that he's willing to do this on our behalf but it feels like asking a lot to have him also make the trip up to verify his ID for Kern Co.

And even if we were to follow their request, does that mean there is a form that his brother would fill out to verify his ID? And then that would be sent to the prison to be attached to the marriage application for the county? Or it would just stand as record with the county. Or...ugh. This one makes me a little dizzy.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
San Bernardino Co. His brother is going to try to get it. I feel lucky that he's willing to do this on our behalf but it feels like asking a lot to have him also make the trip up to verify his ID for Kern Co.

And even if we were to follow their request, does that mean there is a form that his brother would fill out to verify his ID? And then that would be sent to the prison to be attached to the marriage application for the county? Or it would just stand as record with the county. Or...ugh. This one makes me a little dizzy.
Exactly, exactly, exactly.

They're just trying to move us along to the next subway stop, so they can get back to what they were doing. "Please stand clear of the closing doors."

I'm going to contact the ombudsman and write again to the warden, ombudsman, MC, and his correctional counselor. After all, I haven't heard back from the letter I sent two weeks ago, or from CDCR about this. But they are a slow moving truck, takes a long time for them to grind through gears to get moving. I am 100% certain though that they create process and procedure to benefit and accommodate the institution, though. (Although! Many of the individuals that my loved one and I come into contact with are empathetic to the individual behind the CDC #. Others, he says, would blow his head off if they were having a bad day, and it would be nothing personal.)

One my big fears though is that the MC will send the marriage packet that we submitted back in September back to us and tell us we have to start over. !!! I would literally cry.

I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me. Matthew 25:36
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
It frustrates me.. This whole process .. THEY KNOW who the inmate is.. and as we read in the CDCR manual they have a f*n supplememtal ID for them... Why cant that be used? Or why is CDCR not allowed to verify the inmate.. they have all their info, fingerprints, etc?! Smh, this is ridiculous.

CDCR appears to be trying to hop-skip over things that law requires by saying "it's the county, our hands are tied".

A couple more quotes from regs:

Title 15, Article 1.5, Section 3216

(b) The inmate’s marriage request shall be processed by the inmate’s caseworker or other staff person designated by the institution head who shall provide all necessary information to the office of the county clerk or clergyperson.

CDCR Operations Manual – Chapter 10, Article 7, Section 101070.8

Processing the marriage request shall include… Checking all available data on the inmate's current marital status.
Notifying the inmate of the legal requirements and assistance available in gathering documents and developing marriage plans. When necessary, this shall include verifying the recognized standing of a requested clergy. Obtaining approval from the facility administrator for: The date and location of wedding. The allowance of up to two inmates and ten non-inmates, not including the officiant, bride and groom…

Ironic that when I first call the county they said that the county council was going to be meeting on 1/7 to change regs "to make it easier for inmates to get married."

I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me. Matthew 25:36
Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 PM

**Update**
Just got off the phone with County Clerk office. I just spoke to the girl who processes inmate licenses. Her name is Jessica. I asked her to walk me through the steps for credible witness completing affidavit.

She said the individual (mother, father, brother, sister, granfather, grandmother) will go in and ask to speak to her, with Valid ID, and say he/she is there to complete "credible witness affidavit" for Inmate (Name and CDC #) and she'll give them the form to complete. I asked if there was anything else needed besides the ID, she said "No". I asked her to please te confirm as I'm going to ask family that lives across state and want to ensure they aren't turned away for addl docs. She put me on hold and when she returned said, No, a valid ID is only required for now since this is new process".

I then asked her how will MC know to move fwd with marriage packet inside prison? She said she will call MC and let her know she has received credible witness affidavit and can proceed with marriage process.

I called MC for her feedback and she didn't answer.. Ill try her again tomorrow.

Miamac, I just checked SB county and his brother CAN request his birth certificate. Do you have the form? If not, I can download for you later and post on forum.

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Foxxy_Roxxie For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM

Lol! Yeah they're finding ways to make it "easier" all right.. Making us around and do all this ridiculous legwork. My only thought that CDCR can't be credible witness is to clear themselves of ANY liability.. Not that there is but if that situation did occur at other prison whose at fault or looked upon as liable? CDCR

As for the marriage process being completed by caseworker or designated staff, county clerk said that is still in place. Once identity is verified thru ID given to MC, or the credible witness goes to clerks office and completes the affidavit.... The marriage process will resume as normal. MC will collect docs from inmate/bride and submit to clerk for license, and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthneverdies View Post
CDCR appears to be trying to hop-skip over things that law requires by saying "it's the county, our hands are tied".

A couple more quotes from regs:

Title 15, Article 1.5, Section 3216

(b) The inmate’s marriage request shall be processed by the inmate’s caseworker or other staff person designated by the institution head who shall provide all necessary information to the office of the county clerk or clergyperson.

CDCR Operations Manual – Chapter 10, Article 7, Section 101070.8

Processing the marriage request shall include… Checking all available data on the inmate's current marital status.
Notifying the inmate of the legal requirements and assistance available in gathering documents and developing marriage plans. When necessary, this shall include verifying the recognized standing of a requested clergy. Obtaining approval from the facility administrator for: The date and location of wedding. The allowance of up to two inmates and ten non-inmates, not including the officiant, bride and groom…

Ironic that when I first call the county they said that the county council was going to be meeting on 1/7 to change regs "to make it easier for inmates to get married."
Old 01-15-2014, 06:52 PM

Wow! Look at you!

I do have the form for the BC, or I should say, I've directed his brother to the form online.

The ID: As much as all of that seems like a hassle, it also seems doable-- except that part where the county calls the MC to let them know they have the paperwork. I want to think that sounds good, and maybe Jessica has a magic line to the MC, but if she runs into what you have calling...oy.

But its something and I very much appreciate all the effort you've put into this! I'm wondering how they will respond to those who don't have family available to do this for them?

Quote:
**Update**
Just got off the phone with County Clerk office. I just spoke to the girl who processes inmate licenses. Her name is Jessica. I asked her to walk me through the steps for credible witness completing affidavit.

She said the individual (mother, father, brother, sister, granfather, grandmother) will go in and ask to speak to her, with Valid ID, and say he/she is there to complete "credible witness affidavit" for Inmate (Name and CDC #) and she'll give them the form to complete. I asked if there was anything else needed besides the ID, she said "No". I asked her to please te confirm as I'm going to ask family that lives across state and want to ensure they aren't turned away for addl docs. She put me on hold and when she returned said, No, a valid ID is only required for now since this is new process".

I then asked her how will MC know to move fwd with marriage packet inside prison? She said she will call MC and let her know she has received credible witness affidavit and can proceed with marriage process.

I called MC for her feedback and she didn't answer.. Ill try her again tomorrow.

Miamac, I just checked SB county and his brother CAN request his birth certificate. Do you have the form? If not, I can download for you later and post on forum.

Last edited by miamac; 01-15-2014 at 07:50 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM

Does it not seem like the form the county has could be sent to the family member who then takes it to a notary and fills it out? Because there wouldn't be anything to it other than our LO's name and CDCR# (either filled out by the family member or by the county) and then the affidavit portion. So...couldn't any notary do that?
Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 AM

It's a Great question.. Ill call and ask tomorrow
And your point about the clerk being able to successfully reach MC is valid, but believe me, if I were in the position where the affidavit has been complete and the MC is not responding or her "vm is full" .. I will escalate it to her supervisor or warden himself.

As for an immediate family member not being available for affidavit..It seems the only way is through the ID
We can write to obsduman and bring up these concerns.. Hopefully he can help

Quote:
Does it not seem like the form the county has could be sent to the family member who then takes it to a notary and fills it out? Because there wouldn't be anything to it other than our LO's name and CDCR# (either filled out by the family member or by the county) and then the affidavit portion. So...couldn't any notary do that?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 AM

There is absolutely no reason a credible witness affidavit has to be done in person. That's the entire point of notaries public and affidavits! The entire point and purpose. Especially if the county has a form for this, even. And the witnesses live hundreds of miles away and can prove that.

The bride or groom writes county to request form.
Mails to his mom.
She goes to the bank or wherever and shows ID, signs form, and notary public certifies it.
She mails to county.
County calls MC. (This seems weird, but ok)

Someone is doing a CYA.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
The bride or groom writes county to request form.
Mails to his mom.
She goes to the bank or wherever and shows ID, signs form, and notary public certifies it.
She mails to county.
County calls MC. (This seems weird, but ok)
^^^That's what I thought, too. After I did the math, it will be eight hours of driving my brother in law to do this and I just can't ask him to do that for a piece of paper. He loves him and all, but...that's unrealistic.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Ok, ok, hold the phone. NEWS BULLETIN

(ha, now I feel all important)

I called the county and reached Jessica. I was asking her why an in person affidavit for the credible witness might be considered more credible than one signed and notarized elsewhere. She asked me to hold. Her supervisor Susan came on the phone.

Susan said that she's not sure Jessica understands how they are approaching this, and that this is something they are still trying to figure out.

she said what she wants us to do is send them a letter, by fax or mail, and tell and show them how you currently can contribute to the inmate identification issue. If they happen to have any old id, a SSN, mugshot, anything. Then tell them your situation with being ABLE to get a credible witness statement.

she said at this point they want to work with each individual and see what their starting point is. Once they assess what the inmate has available right now, they determine if it's sufficient, or what they might need then.

basically it's a custom evaluation and plan to get this accomplished for the individuals who are stuck at the this roadblock. This is rare and awesome for a government entity!! I am impressed.

she asked me for the phone number of the woman who was relaying poor Jessica's misinformation, of course I could only tell her that I know you from online.

The Following User Says Thank You to thingsnotseen For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM

I agree ladies, I know the affidavit thru notary should suffice and would definitely push when I called. There would be no reason to make his father from VA, and I was going to escalate that.

I'm glad you called and got more clarification *high five* I will call after my work meeting and ask for the supervisor. From what you wrote I'm confident she'll be okay with notarized letter from credible witness. It's unfortunate we can't get copy of our honeys inmate ID card.

Ill keep you posted on any updates... Are you mailing/faxing your letter?

We'll get thru this ladies... There's always a light at the end of the tunnel!!

Quote:
Ok, ok, hold the phone. NEWS BULLETIN

(ha, now I feel all important)

I called the county and reached Jessica. I was asking her why an in person affidavit for the credible witness might be considered more credible than one signed and notarized elsewhere. She asked me to hold. Her supervisor Susan came on the phone.

Susan said that she's not sure Jessica understands how they are approaching this, and that this is something they are still trying to figure out.

she said what she wants us to do is send them a letter, by fax or mail, and tell and show them how you currently can contribute to the inmate identification issue. If they happen to have any old id, a SSN, mugshot, anything. Then tell them your situation with being ABLE to get a credible witness statement.

she said at this point they want to work with each individual and see what their starting point is. Once they assess what the inmate has available right now, they determine if it's sufficient, or what they might need then.

basically it's a custom evaluation and plan to get this accomplished for the individuals who are stuck at the this roadblock. This is rare and awesome for a government entity!! I am impressed.

she asked me for the phone number of the woman who was relaying poor Jessica's misinformation, of course I could only tell her that I know you from online.
miamac (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 PM

she said, address your letter to the County Clerk.

found this fax number -

661-868-3768

mail -

1115 Truxton Ave, 4th floor, Bakersfield, CA. Will have to look up zip.

go, love!! (and reason, and compassion)

The Following User Says Thank You to thingsnotseen For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Well this is definitely good news for us all! She may get flooded with letters now.

I'm still thinking my best bet is to have his brother do a credible witness via a notary near him because I've got zip for ID for him. I have his SS# but not a card. So, I guess I'll send a letter stating that I have a family member who can do it, but it will need to be from an outside notary.

Feels like we're getting closer!

Again, thanks for all your legwork brides-to-be!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Wow! Look at you!
Ha ha ha, thank you.

With some righteous indignation, you can accomplish a lot.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 AM

Zip code is 93301

Quote:
she said, address your letter to the County Clerk.

found this fax number -

661-868-3768

mail -

1115 Truxton Ave, 4th floor, Bakersfield, CA. Will have to look up zip.

go, love!! (and reason, and compassion)
thingsnotseen (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Well this is definitely good news for us all! She may get flooded with letters now.

I'm still thinking my best bet is to have his brother do a credible witness via a notary near him because I've got zip for ID for him. I have his SS# but not a card. So, I guess I'll send a letter stating that I have a family member who can do it, but it will need to be from an outside notary.

Feels like we're getting closer!

Again, thanks for all your legwork brides-to-be!
It is good news, for sure. I'm going to include my loved one's SSN. He doesn't have a card, but the name he is registered under with the SSN folk will be the same name on his birth certificate. Through triangulation, it's a little piece of the puzzle that they need to put together to be satisfied they don't have an imposter! Because there are so many people out there wanting to surreptitiously marry me under a false identity.

I was looking up ID required to get a passport. If you don't have photo ID, they'll consider other items, going back to school immunization records!

http://www.tn.gov/safety/driverlicense/dlidentify.shtml - Scroll down to Secondary identification

Still, any of these things would be hard to locate for someone who's been away for a while. It would mean hassling family members to look through their papers in the attic and whatnot.

Oh well.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Because there are so many people out there wanting to surreptitiously marry me under a false identity.
So this is why they're creating all the hoopla. Ha!

Do y'all already have your packets? I think you do...I'm wondering if the MC will release one to my guy now that this ID thing has an apparent solution. Guess we'll see!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
So this is why they're creating all the hoopla. Ha!

Do y'all already have your packets? I think you do...I'm wondering if the MC will release one to my guy now that this ID thing has an apparent solution. Guess we'll see!
I forgot that you don't yet have a marriage packet. :/

We rec'd ours and started working on getting all the paperwork together in April last year. It took us 5 months to get his birth certificate. I mailed the packet in, in September. The only communication I had with or from the MC all that time is when I started calling in December.

I'm thinking that our wedding date probably won't be before April. This whole process of having his mom provide a credible witness affidavit, even in her own town, is going to take a couple of months, then the MC has to send in for the marriage license, hook us up with a date and the officiant, etc. Urqh.

Our patience is being challenged. I imagine it will make us better able to deal with longer-term issues. To put a positive spin on it.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:58 PM

Hello ladies! I have a question. So we have ran into a little problem. My man does not have an ID that can be used along with his CDCR issued ID. The only ID he has is his CDCR one and I have no problem in getting his Birth Certificate from his mom. So does anyone know what else we can do? We have been trying to get this marriage going but now with this roadblock we are stuck. I would appreciate any assistance.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamorena3 View Post
Hello ladies! I have a question. So we have ran into a little problem. My man does not have an ID that can be used along with his CDCR issued ID. The only ID he has is his CDCR one and I have no problem in getting his Birth Certificate from his mom. So does anyone know what else we can do? We have been trying to get this marriage going but now with this roadblock we are stuck. I would appreciate any assistance.
This is something many of us are looking at. I'd read post #111 and up.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I forgot that you don't yet have a marriage packet. :/

We rec'd ours and started working on getting all the paperwork together in April last year. It took us 5 months to get his birth certificate. I mailed the packet in, in September. The only communication I had with or from the MC all that time is when I started calling in December.
You must feel like it's never going to get here! My guy wants to do this asap and I keep reminding him that nothing inside those walls involving paperwork happens asap so breathe and I'll do what I can. LOL Men.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
This is something many of us are looking at. I'd read post #111 and up.
Im confused. I can have my mans mom do the credible witness affidavit. We were just planning on having her go into the County Clerks office when we go up for a visit. So is this not able to be done anymore? From what im reading is that if you have a family that can do that, then its fine but if you don't then the process will be a lot harder. Is that correct?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamorena3 View Post
Im confused. I can have my mans mom do the credible witness affidavit. We were just planning on having her go into the County Clerks office when we go up for a visit. So is this not able to be done anymore? From what im reading is that if you have a family that can do that, then its fine but if you don't then the process will be a lot harder. Is that correct?
Going in and getting a credible witness affidavit (like you said, with his mom) was what one employee said (Jessica), but it appears that her supervisor (Susan) has said differently and to follow the letter writing plan outlined in a post below.

However, even in the supervisors plan it seems that there isn't a clear solution to the problem, so my guess is people will have varying results. I guess you could call the county and ask them what you should do...you might get a third plan! Not trying to make light of the situation, it's just crazy.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Going in and getting a credible witness affidavit (like you said, with his mom) was what one employee said (Jessica), but it appears that her supervisor (Susan) has said differently and to follow the letter writing plan outlined in a post below.

However, even in the supervisors plan it seems that there isn't a clear solution to the problem, so my guess is people will have varying results. I guess you could call the county and ask them what you should do...you might get a third plan! Not trying to make light of the situation, it's just crazy.
This is just ridiculous. Should have a plan in place before you change something. Do you have their number? I live in TX currently until next month. We were hoping to be married by the end of the summer.