Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 PM
traviesita's Avatar
traviesita traviesita is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Califas...
Posts: 3,285
Thanks: 3,122
Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default PBSP Sending Packages/Money/Books/Mags Info Thread

Please use this thread for any & all questions regarding quarterly packages, sending $, Magazines, Books....etc!
__________________
Site Moderator:
Cali What you Need to Know ~
Arizona ~ Arkansas~ KVSP ~ Loving a Lifer
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 AM
cujo0626's Avatar
cujo0626 cujo0626 is offline
Cujo0626
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 536
Thanks: 249
Thanked 316 Times in 211 Posts
Default

ok this may be a stupid question but I've never sent money to this prison, and to be honest don't remember the last time I wrote out a money order... my friends birthday just passed and I wanted to send him a money order.. a little but something is better then nothing, what do I right on the money order to make sure it gets to him? Has any one had problems sending a money order?? Any info will Help, Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Sheryl P.'s Avatar
Sheryl P. Sheryl P. is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 2,740
Thanked 3,956 Times in 2,167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis9700 View Post
ok this may be a stupid question but I've never sent money to this prison, and to be honest don't remember the last time I wrote out a money order... my friends birthday just passed and I wanted to send him a money order.. a little but something is better then nothing, what do I right on the money order to make sure it gets to him? Has any one had problems sending a money order?? Any info will Help, Thanks
You can also J-pay but if you send him something I would write and let him know you sent it and how (money order/J-pay)
At my love's prison they are not great about letting him know when he has funds.
I have never had trouble with J-pay though they just changed their rates and it didn't thrill me to see that
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheryl P. For This Useful Post:
cujo0626 (02-19-2013)
  #4  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 AM
oc~at~heart oc~at~heart is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cali
Posts: 66
Thanks: 44
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis9700 View Post
ok this may be a stupid question but I've never sent money to this prison, and to be honest don't remember the last time I wrote out a money order... my friends birthday just passed and I wanted to send him a money order.. a little but something is better then nothing, what do I right on the money order to make sure it gets to him? Has any one had problems sending a money order?? Any info will Help, Thanks

I send my bf money through this link (it's on the CDCR website)
Access Secure Deposits at www.inmatedeposits.com

Usually within the next day (2 at the most) he's notified about the funds on his books. I haven't done a money order at PB before, but you can always call the prison and ask. They're pretty nice about information like that. If you do a money order, I would write his CDC# on the memo line and you can always include a small note telling the prison that the money is to go to your friend and include his info on the note as well. It might take longer though to get to him. Hope some of this helps.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oc~at~heart For This Useful Post:
cujo0626 (02-19-2013)
  #5  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
cujo0626's Avatar
cujo0626 cujo0626 is offline
Cujo0626
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 536
Thanks: 249
Thanked 316 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Thank you very, very much for all your help, I already had the money order, before I cash it to send through one of the above sites, is the Money Order even an option at Pelican Bay?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
JavisLady JavisLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA USA
Posts: 521
Thanks: 568
Thanked 523 Times in 243 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis9700 View Post
Thank you very, very much for all your help, I already had the money order, before I cash it to send through one of the above sites, is the Money Order even an option at Pelican Bay?
IDK about the money order as I've never sent money that way. Personally, I'd much rather send it via one of the two options given above - at least you have tracking that way.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

I usually use J-Pay and it takes 2 days for him to get a printout showing who sent it and the amount. You can also send him paper tablets, stamps, and envelopes through regular mail

Last edited by siciliangirl310; 02-19-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to siciliangirl310 For This Useful Post:
cujo0626 (02-19-2013)
  #8  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM
LoveLaughs&LilMama's Avatar
LoveLaughs&LilMama LoveLaughs&LilMama is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi ladies!

So my husband said he can receive a religious chain at the prison but I have no idea how to send it. Do I just send it addresses to him like I would a letter? Or is there a department I need to address it to? Please help?!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLaughs&LilMama View Post
Hi ladies!

So my husband said he can receive a religious chain at the prison but I have no idea how to send it. Do I just send it addresses to him like I would a letter? Or is there a department I need to address it to? Please help?!
Is he in the SHU?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM
LoveLaughs&LilMama's Avatar
LoveLaughs&LilMama LoveLaughs&LilMama is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliangirl310

Is he in the SHU?
Nope he is in general population on A yard.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 PM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLaughs&LilMama View Post
Nope he is in general population on A yard.
Call R&R and they'll let you know how to send it. (707) 465-1000. R&R is ext 5561.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
LoveLaughs&LilMama's Avatar
LoveLaughs&LilMama LoveLaughs&LilMama is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliangirl310

Call R&R and they'll let you know how to send it. (707) 465-1000. R&R is ext 5561.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLaughs&LilMama View Post
Thanks so much!
Your welcome..good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Stephaniiee Stephaniiee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliangirl310 View Post
I usually use J-Pay and it takes 2 days for him to get a printout showing who sent it and the amount. You can also send him paper tablets, stamps, and envelopes through regular mail

SHU inmates allowed to receive stamps? If so is there a limit for all that? (sorry im kinda new to all this lol)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaniiee View Post
SHU inmates allowed to receive stamps? If so is there a limit for all that? (sorry im kinda new to all this lol)
Yes they can. You can send 2 books of stamps at one time. You can also send 3 writing tablets and up to 40 envelopes (not the peel & stick kind)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Cyr78 Cyr78 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default Money upon admission?

Hello, all:

My dad is a couple of weeks away from being incarcerated -- we don't know where yet. But he's been doing some reading and is trying to take care of some logistical stuff while he's still outside, and we're wondering about how best to set up his financial account when he's admitted.

From what we've read, it sounds like he won't be allowed to set up an account until after he arrives at whatever facility he's assigned to, which seems to us like a bit of a catch-22. He probably won't have any money with him (I spoke to a US Marshall who recommended against carrying money while under transport), but he'll need money to place phone calls or buy stamps. I'm not sure how I'll know when he arrives at his facility when I have no means to communicate with him. Even when I do find out when he's arrived, I understand that money sent from the outside can take days or weeks before it shows up.

Does this mean he'll just be unable to place phone calls or send mail for the first few days or weeks, until my deposit goes through? Will they give him some sort of credit, or a free phone call or two, upon arrival? If anyone has any advice about how best to get his account set up quickly, I would appreciate it.

(BTW, I'm not married to the Marshall's advice about not bringing cash, but if your recommendation is to bring money, any advice about how to handle that money during transport would be welcome, too.)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyr78 View Post
Hello, all:

My dad is a couple of weeks away from being incarcerated -- we don't know where yet. But he's been doing some reading and is trying to take care of some logistical stuff while he's still outside, and we're wondering about how best to set up his financial account when he's admitted.

From what we've read, it sounds like he won't be allowed to set up an account until after he arrives at whatever facility he's assigned to, which seems to us like a bit of a catch-22. He probably won't have any money with him (I spoke to a US Marshall who recommended against carrying money while under transport), but he'll need money to place phone calls or buy stamps. I'm not sure how I'll know when he arrives at his facility when I have no means to communicate with him. Even when I do find out when he's arrived, I understand that money sent from the outside can take days or weeks before it shows up.

Does this mean he'll just be unable to place phone calls or send mail for the first few days or weeks, until my deposit goes through? Will they give him some sort of credit, or a free phone call or two, upon arrival? If anyone has any advice about how best to get his account set up quickly, I would appreciate it.

(BTW, I'm not married to the Marshall's advice about not bringing cash, but if your recommendation is to bring money, any advice about how to handle that money during transport would be welcome, too.)

Thank you!
If he's going to straight to state prison, he wont be allowed phone calls until he's situated. Depending on where he's going, I know in Ca they go to reception for about 90 days in order to be processed, etc. and they cant call during that time. You can find out where he is sent to and send him stamps/paper/envelopes and use Jpay to add money to his account. Jpay usually only takes 2 days for it to placed on his account.

Last edited by siciliangirl310; 03-21-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to siciliangirl310 For This Useful Post:
Cyr78 (03-21-2013)
  #18  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Cyr78 Cyr78 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Thank you, siciliangirl310. He's going to be sent to a federal facility -- we know that much, just not which one. Does anyone know if, in a federal facility, I should expect 90 days before we can talk to him on the phone? I suppose that's plenty of time to get the account set up, in any case.

I was also just reading on the BOP money site that the Western Union "quick collect" program will post to a prisoner's account in 2-4 hours. Does anyone have any experience using that? Is their claim true?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyr78 View Post
Thank you, siciliangirl310. He's going to be sent to a federal facility -- we know that much, just not which one. Does anyone know if, in a federal facility, I should expect 90 days before we can talk to him on the phone? I suppose that's plenty of time to get the account set up, in any case.

I was also just reading on the BOP money site that the Western Union "quick collect" program will post to a prisoner's account in 2-4 hours. Does anyone have any experience using that? Is their claim true?
Federal & State operate differently. In federal I believe they have to setup a call list with the phone numbers they'll be calling with their counselor. I've used Western Union to send $ to FBOP before and you can either do the quick collect or the one where it takes a day/two. Don't stress yourself out on it though. Your dad will be ok, they'll provide whatever he needs and once you get the $ but on his account the first time, it should set him until you can get around to doing it again. Federal is alot more laxed than state, I'm sure he'll be ok. Good luck!

Last edited by siciliangirl310; 03-21-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Cyr78 Cyr78 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. It's obviously a stressful time, and we're just trying to gather all the information we can. Trying to learn to let go!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Stephaniiee Stephaniiee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA
Posts: 12
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliangirl310 View Post
Yes they can. You can send 2 books of stamps at one time. You can also send 3 writing tablets and up to 40 envelopes (not the peel & stick kind)
Thank you!
Is it possible to send stamps to them threw USPS? i always order mine online
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaniiee View Post
Thank you!
Is it possible to send stamps to them threw USPS? i always order mine online
I dont see why not, as long as they're only 2 books at a time (no more than 40 stamps)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM
maritorres's Avatar
maritorres maritorres is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 188
Thanks: 70
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default .

How many books if any can someone in asu receive?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 PM
siciliangirl310 siciliangirl310 is offline
Jessgirl
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 163
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritorres View Post
How many books if any can someone in asu receive?
I'm not sure if SHU and ASU have same policies but SHU is only allowed to have up to 10 books in their possession. If he were to get another one over the limit he can either donate it to their library or send it home. There's no limit on how many sent though. You can't send them directly either. Amazon is a good site to use

Last edited by siciliangirl310; 03-25-2013 at 11:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to siciliangirl310 For This Useful Post:
maritorres (03-25-2013)
  #25  
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 PM
maritorres's Avatar
maritorres maritorres is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 188
Thanks: 70
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default .

Ok thx ive sent two though amazon

Last edited by maritorres; 03-25-2013 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSP Sending Packages/Money/Books/Mags Info Thread traviesita Wasco State Prison (WSP) - California 47 04-01-2019 03:59 PM
RJD Sending Packages/Money/Books/Mags Info Thread traviesita R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California 21 09-09-2018 07:01 PM
SCC Sending Packages/Money/Books/Mags Info Thread traviesita Sierra Conservation Center (SCC) - California 28 12-25-2016 12:40 AM
Corcoran State Prison (COR) Sending Packages/Money/Books/Mags Info Thread traviesita Corcoran State Prison (COR) - California 29 03-05-2013 03:54 PM
PBSP 2011 Sending Packages, Books, Mags, & Money Q&A Thread Shari Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California 0 01-03-2011 06:54 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:07 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics