Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:23 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

My guy is moving out of the SHU (sometime) and he requested this as one of the locations he wanted to be moved to, thinking it was closer to me. UGH!!! Does he not know that this is SOUTH from Corcoran, meaning further from Oregon??? Not by much, but still 30-45 min when you have a 12 hour drive is enough.

But if he comes here, will be nice to know this is a welcoming place and I will be peeking in just in case this is where he moves. I would have to look at the letter for other place he requested since it had to be a 180 design.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 02:27 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,822 Times in 8,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy's Girl View Post
My guy is moving out of the SHU (sometime) and he requested this as one of the locations he wanted to be moved to, thinking it was closer to me. UGH!!! Does he not know that this is SOUTH from Corcoran, meaning further from Oregon??? Not by much, but still 30-45 min when you have a 12 hour drive is enough.

But if he comes here, will be nice to know this is a welcoming place and I will be peeking in just in case this is where he moves. I would have to look at the letter for other place he requested since it had to be a 180 design.
We've got several folks who travel from OR to KVSP so we feel your pain. In fact, I'm still feeling it from the drive last weekend.
If he transfers be sure to pop in and say hi and watch for yard specific info; we do a great job here of keeping one another in the loop.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sammy's Girl (07-21-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 AM

Yeah, it can be rough traveling from Oregon. I have not even made the drive yet. I've been lucky enough so far to be able to visit with his mom, who lives near the Ontario airport so I will fly there and she will drive us into Delano.
It would be extremely hard to do it by myself and I give hats off to Miamac for making the trip!
The Following User Says Thank You to mammaseeta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaseeta View Post
[...]
It would be extremely hard to do it by myself and I give hats off to Miamac for making the trip!
I was a blinded by marital bliss. LOL
Old 05-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Site Moderator

Summer is almost here. just checkin' in with everyone.

Anyone with KVSP-related news/celebrations/questions?

And where's T_LovesHim100%? I miss your sass, girl!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Donation Award 

Gonna miss this prison.........the new it seems we are "probably" going to does NOT compare to the girls on here. Hardly any posts
Old 05-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybeth View Post
Gonna miss this prison.........the new it seems we are "probably" going to does NOT compare to the girls on here. Hardly any posts
I have this fear, too! My guy is up for transfer (yet again) and I told him he wasn't allowed to move-- I'm happy here. LOL
Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I have this fear, too! My guy is up for transfer (yet again) and I told him he wasn't allowed to move-- I'm happy here. LOL
too funny. Normally I'm not the one always posting but seriously I guess I have to start to get it going there. We shall see. (sigh)
The Following User Says Thank You to bizzybeth For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-16-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Site Moderator

All's quiet on the KVSP front lately. In our world that's good news, right?

Summer is half over and I'm just checking in-- anyone with news to share? Making special visit plans? Do we have any recent weddings to celebrate? I heard there's been serious movement on the SNY side to other facilities. Anyone involved in that?
Old 07-19-2015, 08:04 PM

I miss my husband! No new news though!
The Following User Says Thank You to T_LovesHim100% For This Useful Post:
miamac (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_LovesHim100% View Post
I miss my husband! No new news though!
I hear ya. Haven't seen mine since we were married three months ago. Some days I wake up and think, "Credit debt be damned. I'm gonna drive down there right now!" And then reality yanks me back.

I hope you're able to get a family visit scheduled soon.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 PM

Donation Award 

So it has happened, his counselor came to him today to tell him he will be moving to Kern. I sound depressed, and sort-of am for the little further drive instead of High Desert which is half the drive so I could visit twice as often. But will be grateful that he will be out of the SHU and we will have CONTACT VISITS, YAY!!!! Can't wait to touch that man!

I have appointments for COR SHU this weekend, so please don't move him before then!!

I LOVE THIS Man!!
Old 07-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
So it has happened, his counselor came to him today to tell him he will be moving to Kern.
Welcome to KVSP! I'm in OR, too, so I feel your pain. I actually bit the bullet yesterday and bought an airline ticket for August. Our last visit was in early April.

We've got a great group of folks here so hope to see you in the threads when he's landed.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 PM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammaseeta View Post
Yeah, it can be rough traveling from Oregon. I have not even made the drive yet. I've been lucky enough so far to be able to visit with his mom, who lives near the Ontario airport so I will fly there and she will drive us into Delano.
He has been in Corcoran so KVSP is really only 30 more minutes of the 12 hour drive. And I live in the middle of nowhere, so no airport close either!

What we do for our loved ones!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Donation Award 

Ok, please bare with me while I b!%@# for a moment or two!!!

I have been pretty depressed for the past few weeks, really for no reason except increased dealings with my son. Well, that's not true. I had to renew my drivers license because it expired next week and they give these funky paper ones. Couldn't visit next weekend because I am watching my neighbors horses, and the week after i a family reunion. So a month ago I go to renew and they were closed at lunch time, ugh! I come home and take it out of my purse so I didn't loose it, yeah right!! Now can't find it. Searched for 4 whole days, even through the garbage. Finally decided to search through the scrap paper recycling and there it is on the bottom.

My new A/C part can't come in until Thursday, so hopefully my mechanic can get that fixed that day. I am sure because I am not paying enough attention to him, my 3 month old Rottie puppie is being a #ell!0n.

I'm medicated, seeing a therapist and a shrink and when I don't go to church they come to me. I have had a migraine for 5 days now that sometimes fades, but then comes back with a venegance, ugh.

He called me last evening, and I was SO happy to hear from him because I usually don't hear from him until the end of the month. I should be happy, soon my man and I will have contact visits! I didn't want him to go to KVSP, I wanted him to go to High Desert. He offered previously to go back to the Bay, but there is NO was I would ask that of him. But I did some checking today and the visits will cost twice as much as they did at Corcoran and there is no train service to travel down in the winter. Motels are almost twice as much, a bit more time and travel, not to mention the $100 per day in snacks/goodies. I want him to be able to have those things. because they are things he has not been able to have in the SHU for AGES! More frequent phone calls. More money in commissary (although I just cover what his family is unable.) And I just spent money on 3 dresses that I can't wear at KVSP because of the collarbone issue (and you can certainly see mine because I am borderline underweight.) Not to mention of the entire Valley Fever issue, which he is not worried about but I as a nurse am very concerned.

But all these things mean I will see him less, and that makes me more down than I already was. He has seen me go up/down over the past 4 years, and I am always happy to see him when I am there.

Just really sad right now... I knew you guys would understand!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Site Moderator

Had a visit this weekend after a loooong four month stretch of not seeing him. Once again, I walked away feeling blessed that the KVSP family is so awesome.

Thanks for making even a freezing 7am lineup enjoyable!

Now, how do we go about getting that token machine issue fixed!
T_LovesHim100% (12-16-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 11,331 Times in 4,703 Posts

I have a close friend who has transferred to KVSP and I am hoping to visit in the New Year , looking forward to seeing y'all in the 7am line , I will be the blond english girl shivering.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
miamac (12-14-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Had a visit this weekend after a loooong four month stretch of not seeing him. Once again, I walked away feeling blessed that the KVSP family is so awesome.

Thanks for making even a freezing 7am lineup enjoyable!

Now, how do we go about getting that token machine issue fixed!
So the token machine is broken again, again, and always and forever.....or it will be fixed but out of tokens. This is really aggravating especially for anyone who doesn't get to see their loved one every weekend. So how do we get it fixed......well am going to send the Ombudsman and email in 5 minutes and see if he can help us out with this ongoing issue. I will keep in touch with the results I here.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
So the token machine is broken again, again, and always and forever.....or it will be fixed but out of tokens. This is really aggravating especially for anyone who doesn't get to see their loved one every weekend. So how do we get it fixed......well am going to send the Ombudsman and email in 5 minutes and see if he can help us out with this ongoing issue. I will keep in touch with the results I here.
It was working, but it would shut down and not spit anything out for a period of time. At least that was the case Saturday; on Sunday I think it was just out (?).

People were mentioning that at other facilities they can purchase the ducats from a CO inside. I don't know if KVSP doesn't do that because it slows processing, or it's a hassle to deal with cash or what. I do know they sell the ducats at canteen now, but as several of us agreed-- for those that owe restitution, it's cost prohibitive.

In the past I've seen folks willing to share or sell their extra tokens in line when the machine was down. But I think this has become such a problem that I noticed a big decrease in that kind of exchange. I don't like that a silly machine is turning us into hoarders. :/

T_Loves-- I'm always happy to see you here; you're our woman of action! Definitely let us know what you hear!
T_LovesHim100% (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Okay so I did send him an email just now regarding the issue with the token machine. It usually takes anywhere from same day to 3 days for a response.

Here is the shorter version of what I spoke about:

Mr. Gabriel Vela
Ombudsman
For: Kern Valley State Prison,

I am writing to you in regards for many of us visitors that Visit our loved ones at Kern Valley State Prison.
It has been brought to my attention that the token machine is broke again. This token machine is where visitors place 2 one dollar bills in the machine and receive 1 token to be use for 1 Visiting Picture. The machine is located outside in front of the Visitor’s Processing Building. And all visitors have to get their tokens before being processed in to visit.
Mr. Vela this machine is always having issues. A lot of the time it will not work. And other times that it does work, it runs out of coins quickly. And any time anyone brings it to any of the Officers attention that are processing the visitors in, they say something on the lines of “Sorry but there is nothing we can do.” Or “Well maybe next time when you come to visit the machine will have coins.”
Mr. Vela, please understand that for most visitors, we travel more than an hour away. In my situation and some others – states away. Also most of the visitors do not get to visit every weekend do to the distance, financial cost of travel, or having to work. So when we do get to see our loved ones it is important to us to be able to take pictures with them.
When I first started visiting my husband at Kern Valley State Prison and this machine would run out or break down. The Visiting Srgt., Lt., or Captain would come out and stand by the token machine with a big plastic bag full of tokens and they would allow us to exchange $2 for 1 token with them and we could buy as many tokens as we wanted. That seemed to work really well. I don’t know why they stopped doing this.
Mr. Vela can you please help us with this? As always, I appreciate you taking time out in your busy schedule to read this email. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
miamac (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Site Moderator

Awesome! Thank you so much for picking up this with Vela.

I didn't know about the way they handled it in the past so I'm glad you had that info!

Last edited by miamac; 12-16-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Old 12-16-2015, 12:15 PM

O ....and forgot to add.....thank you Miamac!

I just know that it takes those of us who will go the extra mile to speak up for positive change to occur. I pray that I don't have to deal with the system for much longer, but for now helping make changes for those who will be dealing with the system after me......
miamac (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, please bare with me while I b!%@# for a moment or two!!! .................................................. ......................
Just really sad right now... I knew you guys would understand!
Sammy & to All of us who have a loved one..... I totally understand the frustration & sadness. Unfortunately during this time of the year with the Holidays, it seems like everything is increased by 10x. More issues arise in free world, our loved ones are down, and not to mention the extra sadness it brings to all of us as well. Prayers for Blessings for you all.

Sammy - I hope everything goes smoother for you. And that you will get to visit your loved one soon. Keep your head up AND Prayers Up.

~Speaking Positive, Brings Positive!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:11 PM

Hello friends ......so I was wondering have you all signed the newest petition that is happening right now? I put info out about it. You have to go to the Prison Talk Forums. Under 911. Please read and sign. Our loved ones could benefit from this.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:33 PM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Sammy & to All of us who have a loved one..... I totally understand the frustration & sadness. Unfortunately during this time of the year with the Holidays, it seems like everything is increased by 10x. More issues arise in free world, our loved ones are down, and not to mention the extra sadness it brings to all of us as well. Prayers for Blessings for you all.

Sammy - I hope everything goes smoother for you. And that you will get to visit your loved one soon. Keep your head up AND Prayers Up.

~Speaking Positive, Brings Positive!
Thank you, I was able to visit him twice, both visits were wonderful! Sadly I fainted in the store and spent the night in the hospital the first visit and the visit in October as I was driving from KVSP to the Portland, OR airport I was in a severe auto accident and totaled my Miata and escaped with 22 broken bones, a subdural bleed, bleeding around my lungs and my life. Spent 5 weeks in the hospital with the first week in a medical coma, and will still be signed up for one more surgery.

Both legs were shattered, and I will find out at the end of January if I can start to walk again.

Grateful each morning I am gifted to wake up, it could have been much worse!