Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MARYLAND > Maryland Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Maryland Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, half-way houses or release in Maryland should be posted here.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:33 AM

Default Is parole different in county jail then DOC in Maryland?

I am going to be sentenced and they offered me two pleas. One DOC for 5 years with parole after 25%. The other 2 consecutive 18 month sentences in county on work release. I know DOC I would do atleast 15 months . Does anyone know how much time I would do on work release with 2 18 month sentences. It would be in Frederick MD. I need help on which plea would be better to take. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2014, 06:39 AM

I could take to trial and take my chances but then im facing a mandatory 5 yr sentence with no parole. With the pleas the SA is dropping that charge and just javing me plea to 2 possesion with intent to distribute. This is my first offense never been arrested before. My lawyer says there giving me a harsh sentence either way. The trial is set for dec so if I turn down pleas there is a chance they could offer another. Need help and advice please. Never been threw anything like this before.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 AM

You need to check that with your attorney. You don't parole from County and as far as here, in County you have to serve your entire sentence as opposed to DOC which you can get parole and gain time. For example, my bf initially was offered 1 year county with work release OR a year and a day in DOC, he would do the full year in County but have work release and not be a convicted felon, in DOC he would've done about 3-4 months with time served and gain time but be a convicted felon. I don't know how it works in Maryland.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 AM

Well I was told on work release in frederick county you need to derve 50%. So of 36 months id be eligible for parole after 18. Now you get 10 good time days a month. Is your good time taken off before parole so if I was eligible for parole at 18 would my good time mean I would get out after after about 13-14 months. Or do you not get your good time knocked off parole?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:49 PM

Hello im not really sure how things work too much but i would say take the 2nd plea. With the good time and work release that time will fly by. In DOC u might get a job but its a wait and not being negative or anything but DOC got alot of bulcrap with it! Good luck to u!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:36 PM

If you are positive you will have a job that allows work release the 2nd option might be better for you. County drags their feet a little more with everything, at least Harford County did. I was offered 5 years DOC or 18 months county. I took county. I was offered and approved for parole after 7 months and completing a few programs, I sat and waited out the last 4 months for parole to come and they never did. I was work release eligible, but the job I thought I had lined up didn't work out. Not sure about your county, but ours was pretty much MAX, we didn't have outside time. We had 1 visit a week through glass. So with good time I ended up doing 11 months on an 18 month sentence in county. Good luck.