Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MINNESOTA > Minnesota General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Minnesota General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Minnesota that do not fit into any other Minnesota sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:24 AM

Default Very very new to this...

Hi, I'm new here...and very new to this experience. Started dating a guy (also a guy here) about 7 months ago and a few days before Christmas he got a parole violation for having a smart phone. It hit me really hard as I was really starting to REALLY like the guy. I had been trying to keep a distance and it shocked me in how much it affected me. I was a blubbering mess for 3 days straight.

He doesn't do drugs or drink, goes to school regularly, and tries to find work. His PO seems to try to get in the way of him finding a job and then faulting him for it, but he keeps trying and keeps an upbeat attitude. He's not violent and seems to be trying hard. I give him some work at my shop or my house whenever I need muscle, but his PO isn't comfortable with that either. So confused about this whole situation.

Happy to see there's others who understand. My friends and family don't in the least and are concerned about me even seeing him.

I know all about his crime, he's been very honest and open...he's an SO and he was on supervised release/ISR until Nov 2016, but they've just changed it to Nov 2019 now. He's already served 12 years in prison and now he's facing another 120 days. He says its not going to be that bad and I know that others are going through much worse than I, but its still very very new for me. I'm going to see him today at Ramsey County. Never been to a jail before..very nervous.

He says there's a case that's going through the system about increasing his parole date like this in Minnesota, but I don't know any details about it. Does anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2014, 03:23 PM

For SO's the parole date is way different. I have a few friends going through this at the moment so let me try and explain. First let me say this road is not a easy one. Being with a SO is on of the hardest choices to make as in a since you are both answering to the agent. But if you truly care for him then the road is worth the travel.

When a person gets a SO charge there given a sentence but that sentence last longer then the actual prison time. My best friend was charged in 2008 and sat 36 months. But he has to answer to a agent of some kind till 2024. If he gets into trouble the time don't really extend he just has more sit time to do but still off paper 2024 as long as its not a re offence. Each time he go's in though he has to start over on the ISR phase's when he comes out. So what he does day to day will be more watched for awhile. Then he will get back more freedom as time go's on and he stay's on track.

A few things to remember...
When you are with or around him and his agent shows you will need to give your info to the agent. At times they do call to check you are legal and have no warrants. Put a lock code on your phone when at his house and always keep it in your pocket. Some agents will say if its on the table then he has a way to use it. They are not allowed on a computer of any kind which is why the phones are a issue. Tell him to go to Metro PCS and get a basic phone with out net hooked up. Its only 25.00 a month and you get unlimited text and calls for 30days.
If you want to know how long he's on paper till go to MN DOC inmate locator and type in his name. It will give you his expiration date just so you know.

Again to be with a SO is a hard road but in the end love can over see anything. I have a few friends who have the same rules, a few who are now off paper, and a few that will never see the outside again. (unless laws change) Keep your chin up it does get easier as you learn the rules and if you have questions ask him or his agent. Its never wrong to protect those you love.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starlit10577 For This Useful Post:
OsunMM5 (12-31-2014), patchouli (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 PM

Thank you for explaining things to me. This is kind of what I understood to be the case, but why would his expiration date change like it did? It was Nov 2016, now its Nov 2019. He has to register as an SO until 2023. He said there was some sort of case relating to this.

Spoke on the phone to him yesterday and his agent told him that there wasn't much bad that he would be putting in his file, but there is apparently a different agent that's kind of gunning for him. I've also met his ISR agent already.

I got to see him on Sunday for the first time. It was little solace...20 minutes on a video camera and poor phone reception really sucked.

I'm going to his hearing on Friday. Been reading a lot about all of this and have been feeling anxious. He says not to worry, but I still do.

Last edited by OsunMM5; 12-30-2014 at 07:28 PM..
Old 12-30-2014, 08:14 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,634 Times in 16,401 Posts

You're both new to PTO, so.....Hello ya'll! Yeah, the SO restrictions can be over-whelming. Every state is different; even some counties have their own "rules." You both may want to say "hello" in our Loving a Sex Offender (LASO) forum:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 01-02-2015, 07:37 PM

Looks like he went to Lino Lakes today. I had a very nice conversation with his parole officer, but he may not be allowed back in my house after he gets out, so that will be a challenge to overcome. Haven't heard from him yet, but getting the visitor application in shortly. Hopefully my application is approved soon. I think we have a lot to discuss...
The Following User Says Thank You to OsunMM5 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-02-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Everything ive been reading has helped a lot. Lots has happened and its certainly getting easier. Ive gone to visit him a few times and thats been helpful. Going again today actually. His PO said that hed probably put him back on phase 3 of his isr so im hopeful that comes to fruition.