Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nevada Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service, etc in Nevada should be posted here.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Default Parole eligibility

Hi I hope everyone is doing great. My boyfriend was just sentenced to 5-15 years in prison 5 being the minimum. I was reading online and he qualifies for parole after having completed 1/3 of his sentence under the condition that he has good behavior, earns credits and all that once in prison. Do you ladies know if this is true? He is arrested in the state of Nevada. I wanted to know any helpful information you ladies might have over this. He was sentenced by a district court. His case didn't go to trial. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 AM

Unhappy Its a good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz1226 View Post
Hi I hope everyone is doing great. My boyfriend was just sentenced to 5-15 years in prison 5 being the minimum. I was reading online and he qualifies for parole after having completed 1/3 of his sentence under the condition that he has good behavior, earns credits and all that once in prison. Do you ladies know if this is true? He is arrested in the state of Nevada. I wanted to know any helpful information you ladies might have over this. He was sentenced by a district court. His case didn't go to trial. Thank you!

I've been trying to find out the same thing, but no one will give me any direct answers. I went to the NDOC website and it doesn't give any info on how credits or the like affect them. I've looked at alot of factors in this to, checking the parole eligibility lists I see folks who were sentenced two months ago for the same thing with longer sentences become eligible for parole in October. But I'm told my wifes projected date is in April. I am trying to find out more, as soon as I get some info I will let you know as well. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostjustice View Post
I've been trying to find out the same thing, but no one will give me any direct answers. I went to the NDOC website and it doesn't give any info on how credits or the like affect them. I've looked at alot of factors in this to, checking the parole eligibility lists I see folks who were sentenced two months ago for the same thing with longer sentences become eligible for parole in October. But I'm told my wifes projected date is in April. I am trying to find out more, as soon as I get some info I will let you know as well. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Hi!! I just cane across your answer. Were you able to get any information? Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-14-2016, 01:00 PM

Default The answer is pretty confusing...

Supposedly NDOC takes 40% off the beginning of the sentence and then another 40% off the end of the sentence. The math is straight forward. Out of a ten year sentence, most likely an inmate will only serve two of those years in prison, unless they qualify for one of the nice get out of jail for a good portion of your soul programs. Now you can get credit for your good time, which helps you get out even sooner, you also do your work. The problem being is that the higher your security level, the less good time you earn. Example Inmate A and Inmate B are both sentenced you 5 years. Inmate A is at minimum, but Inmate B is in Medium. Well for every day of served by Inmate A is good time that means at the end of one month he has earned 60 actual days credited to his sentence, where as Inmate B only would get half of that. You do get credit for graduating programs, According to the Administrative Regulations you get a 120 day credit for graduating a program that is supposed to help you not re-offend. If they had allowed my wife to finish her rehab program, she was paroled two months prior to completion, she would of only earned 60 days. The whole medium security thing, which she was only in because of seizures .

There is one small other thing that can totally mess up those estimates. If the inmate is convicted of an offense labeled as a crime against persons, it is considered an instant violent offense. Oh yea it's there, it took me a good month and a half of coming through a butt load of new laws that the great thinking, money grubbing, lying, cheating an stealing politicians of the great state of Nevada, that same inmate loses the the 40% off of the front and has to serve at least a full 12 months. Normally that includes what time was spent in jail, but the judges can take that away from you too.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz1226 View Post
Yes that is correct 5-15 yr sentence means a minimum of 5 yrs until parole eligible. This is of course conditional to the things you've already mentioned. I hope I've read your question correctly? There are many factors in earning credits and they vary depending on where he is going to serve time ultimately. Is he in NNCC fish tank right now? NNCC is almost certainly not where he will do his time because it's predominantly a medical facility and soon will be strictly so. His ability to earn credits can be a difficult thing to attempt to ascertain at this early stage because two important factors have not been determined until the fish tank period is over and those are what level security he'll be in and where he'll go. My boyfriend recently finished the fish tank and was given Stewart Camp but just a few days in there was an incident and he's now in administrative segregation and looking to likely transfer to Lovelock. Which is not good news. Best of luck during the fish tank period it is extremely difficult to communicate as they are only a few phones and many inmates. I highly recommend writing emails and sending pics over the email service because they typically are received by them a day after being sent except on the weekends, no mail. Also, hand write as often as you can to him. Don't expect to receive much back for the first month or two and be patient. Any other questions just hit me up.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:44 AM

I don't believe that's true when there are mandatory minimum sentences involved. My understanding is that earned time only comes off the end number. In other words the time is taken off the maximum only. Let me know if I'm wrong please but everything I've heard and read has led me to this.