Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York Prisons in the WENDE HUB - Albion, Attica, Orleans, Rochester, Buffalo, Wende, Wyoming, Livingston, Groveland, Collins, Gowanda, Lakeview.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:39 PM

Angry Gowanda Correctional Facility Visitation Issues

Gowanda Visitation process is ridiculous! They need to have their own website regarding what is allowed, and what clothes are not. Some of the requirements are diff than what they have on the main website.

Just to keep in mind when you go there:

No V neck shirts
No sleeveless shirts
No semi-transparent shirts [Even if you have a tank top underneath, they will not let you in. Both shirts have to meet the requirement],
Pants MUST have pockets. [I think they use this to rule out people wearing leggings or spandex material].

There is no cell phone reception or very minimal service. So please bring about $3 in quarters in case you have to call someone.

Make sure you bring an extra shirt or 2 in case what you are wearing is not "approved". I felt like these CO's were on a power trip. Some were nice, some were not so nice.

Also, has anyone had problems with their inmate receiving all the items in their package? It seems the norm that the CO's go "grocery shopping" when these inmates food packages come in. My family member had some of his stuff "taken" before he received his package.. And this wasn't even a MAILED package, it was the package I BROUGHT with me. I gave him 10 packs of his favorite candy and he only "received" 4. Apparently, he said that is normal for the CO's to take things before giving it to them?! I want to complain to the Albany DOCCS, but not sure of the repercussions. [I don't want it to get back in a bad way for my family member that is there]. I also mailed a few items about 2 months ago. The tracking said it arrived, but he said he never received them.

It's just a little disheartening about the power they have in there. I don't even know where to start. Is there anything I can do regarding him getting all the items in his package? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM

I spent 9 months at Gowanda. “Problems” (ha!) with packages were ordinary. One guy in my unit used to have cigars sent in to him. He said the % of the cigars that never made it to him varied with the quality of the cigars---almost all of the cheap ones would get to him, but half of the expensive ones “got lost” and never got to him. When I was there, getting an entire package with nothing disapproved or “missing” was almost unheard of---even for those of us whose families knew 4911 inside out. Package Room “interpretations” of 4911 were over the top and changed like the wind. Individual PR CO’s mostly did whatever they wanted.

Gowanda the worst part of 6 years inside the fence for me. Downstate Reception was more professionally run and a better place to be than Gowanda.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
TikkiTikkiTembo (05-09-2016)
Old 12-22-2015, 08:08 PM

Default new to Gowanda

My boyfriend was just transfered to Gowanda today. I'm nervous after speaking with him quick and reading posts about the facility. He's already signed up for his classes so hopefully they'll start soon. It really sucked the website wasn't updated and the CO at Elmira (where he was for reception) had the list from the wrong day. His sister and I drove 2 1/2 hours down there to be sent up for the visit and then find out he was transferred. They held him in Auburn for the night, drove him around from 830 this morning till about 6 tonight. He didn't even get to eat dinner, shower or get any of his personal items. Some Christmas week. All I wanted was to see him for Christmas. Now I won't be able to see him till Jan 3rd. That is, as long as the weather cooperates. Sorry for the rant ladies...
Old 03-17-2016, 06:18 PM

Gowanda is definitely a unique visiting experience. I have had them bounce clothes that I have worn to other facilities just because "another officer may turn it down"... luckily, I keep extras of everything in my car just in case of that. What I wore was not suggestive in any way, but was a V neck, which I had worn previously to Governeur. Lesson learned.

I have been there a few times, and have seen the visit room fill up quickly, and was terminated once because I live so close. It's disappointing, but I am prepared for it now, so I don't let it get to me, and I plan for it. I am hoping that when my friend's program is complete, he can transfer out again. Close is nice, but this place is not worth the proximity.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:16 AM

My boyfriend has been in Gowanda for a little over a year now. I have seen some clothes be allowed in that were very revealing and other times they were sticklers a bout pockets or a slight v neck. It really depends on the officer. Also from my experience I have found that if you get to the visiting floor and your waiting for your inmate for 20 minutes or more and they still haven't arrived, they never called him down. ( that has happened twice to me) As for packages, it all depends on who is doing it that day. Sometimes my man gets everything, and other times things are taken. I tell him everything he gets so he knows what isn't there, so he can write a grievance if necessary. As of right now there haven't been pictures available for the past three weeks. That is because the group that decides on the games, and pictures, and everything thing available for us to feel normal decided not to donate to the little league team this year. Due to their decision, we are all being punished by the guards because the film was ordered a month ago. Gowanda is not a nice place. I am counting the days till my man can be moved.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:39 AM

Thanks ladies. I have gotten used to it there now. I was making it out every other week to every week to see him. I definitely ran into the clothes issue and them not calling him down. It's crazy! Same with food sometimees some things pass other times no. Right now were dealing with the fact i was put on probation for something I didn't even do but had to plea to instead of dealing with going to trial. Now I can't go see him. Thank God the po is letting us still talk and write I just can't go to a prison or jail
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 PM

They are so flip floppy with their rules. It's frustrating!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combs View Post
I spent 9 months at Gowanda. “Problems” (ha!) with packages were ordinary. One guy in my unit used to have cigars sent in to him. He said the % of the cigars that never made it to him varied with the quality of the cigars---almost all of the cheap ones would get to him, but half of the expensive ones “got lost” and never got to him. When I was there, getting an entire package with nothing disapproved or “missing” was almost unheard of---even for those of us whose families knew 4911 inside out. Package Room “interpretations” of 4911 were over the top and changed like the wind. Individual PR CO’s mostly did whatever they wanted.

Gowanda the worst part of 6 years inside the fence for me. Downstate Reception was more professionally run and a better place to be than Gowanda.
So glad you are out of there! That place is insane.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM

Gowanda had my friend's mother sitting in the visit room for over an hour while they had him standing at the door waiting to be let in (NOT allowed to knock/ touch the door)... in the cold... they claimed they didn't know he was there... when they called him down LOL/ Mind games.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:35 PM

They are full of mind games. Right now they have my man on loss of rec/packages/ phones for something dumb. They are messing with him so much. When guys are genuinely trying their hardest at changing their old ways they mess with them even more to make them snap.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitingforbubby For This Useful Post:
newtothis1230 (10-08-2017)
Old 05-17-2016, 06:55 PM

I agree. the things they do to these guys to test them - knowing they cannot respond in any way is dirty. It takes great patience to tolerate what they must.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:03 AM

Default gowanda needs to be investigated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkiTikkiTembo View Post
Gowanda Visitation process is ridiculous! They need to have their own website regarding what is allowed, and what clothes are not. Some of the requirements are diff than what they have on the main website.

Just to keep in mind when you go there:

No V neck shirts
No sleeveless shirts
No semi-transparent shirts [Even if you have a tank top underneath, they will not let you in. Both shirts have to meet the requirement],
Pants MUST have pockets. [I think they use this to rule out people wearing leggings or spandex material].

There is no cell phone reception or very minimal service. So please bring about $3 in quarters in case you have to call someone.

Make sure you bring an extra shirt or 2 in case what you are wearing is not "approved". I felt like these CO's were on a power trip. Some were nice, some were not so nice.

Also, has anyone had problems with their inmate receiving all the items in their package? It seems the norm that the CO's go "grocery shopping" when these inmates food packages come in. My family member had some of his stuff "taken" before he received his package.. And this wasn't even a MAILED package, it was the package I BROUGHT with me. I gave him 10 packs of his favorite candy and he only "received" 4. Apparently, he said that is normal for the CO's to take things before giving it to them?! I want to complain to the Albany DOCCS, but not sure of the repercussions. [I don't want it to get back in a bad way for my family member that is there]. I also mailed a few items about 2 months ago. The tracking said it arrived, but he said he never received them.

It's just a little disheartening about the power they have in there. I don't even know where to start. Is there anything I can do regarding him getting all the items in his package? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
I am the wife of an inmate in Gowanda, he has also had his property stolen and I have heard stories. I have reported it to the nys inspector general and am making a complaint to other people. I will also be starting a petition to have something done about these co's, they need to be investigated. they are stealing from us and abusing their authority and I am very upset about it. I need help and support. as I sit here writing this, I am waiting for him to call, he had a 9 am phone spot and has told me if he does not call that something has happened between him and the co's. please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:39 PM

This thread hasn’t been updated in awhile but I found the visition process at Gowanda to be very seamless and they were very laid back about clothes. Some girl had on a tight fitted short dress with sandals and a jean jacket, others had on shorts. Only issue I had was with my ID since it’s expired but they were nice about it and still let me visit . Bassically visiting starts at 8:30 sharp..they let you come into the visitor area earlier to sign in, get lockers, change, drop off packages etc. Then you wait on line to have your photo taken and go through the metal detectors but they were very quick and the line moved fast. Then you board a little shuttle bus that takes you over to the visitation . I enjoyed my visit! The C.O’s were nice in my opinion but of course I’m not naive
The Following User Says Thank You to newtothis1230 For This Useful Post:
nimuay (10-09-2017)