Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > SULLIVAN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

SULLIVAN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the SULLIVAN HUB - Ulster, Eastern, Woodbourne, Sullivan, Shawangunk, Wallkill, Otisville, Mid-Orange.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:13 PM

Default Ulster SHU

Found out my bf is in SHU. I dont understand what could have happened, and no one will tell me anything. Im so worried about him. And of course, he can't call, only write. Everything I've read online is scaring me to death. Does anyone know how long a person can stay in SHU? Does this effect his transfer? And will he still be eligible for shock.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphireyez22 View Post
Found out my bf is in SHU. I dont understand what could have happened, and no one will tell me anything. Im so worried about him. And of course, he can't call, only write. Everything I've read online is scaring me to death. Does anyone know how long a person can stay in SHU? Does this effect his transfer? And will he still be eligible for shock.
If he's in SHU he will be moved to a SHU facility. He can get visits I don't know where in NY you are but you can call the prison and find out the SHU visit schedule. If he was just put in SHU and already had his hearing he will be moved most likely in about a week or so. There are several SHU facilities in NY. If he got a lot of time he may go to upstate box. That's where my man did his shu time but several other prisons around ulster have shu units. It is bad. They are locked in a 2 man cell for 23 hours a day. The hour they get out is in a connected dog like pen for fresh air and sun. They can get visits in SHU as long as loss of visits is not part of the punishment. Your best bet is to write as often as you can. He won't be able to write back until he gets stamps and paper. I hope you hear from him soon. SHU really sucks and yes, it will affect shock
Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 PM

Unhappy

Thank you so much for the info. Im losing my mind over this. Im just so worried. Im hoping he writes to me soon and tells me what happened. I really hope he doesn't have to stay in there long. Hes NEVER been in trouble before, and im praying to god that theirs still a chance for shock
Old 10-25-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info. Im losing my mind over this. Im just so worried. Im hoping he writes to me soon and tells me what happened. I really hope he doesn't have to stay in there long. Hes NEVER been in trouble before, and im praying to god that theirs still a chance for shock
Can you go see him?
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 AM

Im supposed to be able to see him this weekend.....fingers crossed
Old 10-26-2016, 07:00 AM

Do you have to travel far? At least at the visit you'll get the details as to what happened
Old 10-26-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Iimas View Post
If he's in SHU he will be moved to a SHU facility. He can get visits I don't know where in NY you are but you can call the prison and find out the SHU visit schedule. If he was just put in SHU and already had his hearing he will be moved most likely in about a week or so. There are several SHU facilities in NY. If he got a lot of time he may go to upstate box. That's where my man did his shu time but several other prisons around ulster have shu units. It is bad. They are locked in a 2 man cell for 23 hours a day. The hour they get out is in a connected dog like pen for fresh air and sun. They can get visits in SHU as long as loss of visits is not part of the punishment. Your best bet is to write as often as you can. He won't be able to write back until he gets stamps and paper. I hope you hear from him soon. SHU really sucks and yes, it will affect shock
The dreaded Upstate Shu.. My husband was just sent there last week, he was in Livingston Shu from 9-12 until 10-11, transit 10-13 until 10-20 and now is in Upstate until 12-2017! So yes, they can be in the SHU for as long as the ticket committee decides. And we lost visits until December 2016. And yep it will affect Shock eligibility. Good luck
Old 10-26-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
They are non-contact for the first 30 days, so your visit will be behind the cage or glass depending on the severity. Behind glass, he will not be able to get food. It sucks. My husband told me to stop coming when he was behind glass, it was torture. We couldn't hear each other, the smell of food drove him insane. It was worst then just being in a cell by himself. I respected him enough to agree to it, even though it broke my hear to not see him.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Oh I forgot, PLEASE do yourself a favor and see where he is on Friday at the end of the day about 3pm to make sure he will be allowed visits! Just because he is showing in one facility on the DOC site, doesn't mean he is actually there. If he is in transit, he could be anywhere and wont be allowed a visit.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevaEndNoWorry View Post
The dreaded Upstate Shu.. My husband was just sent there last week, he was in Livingston Shu from 9-12 until 10-11, transit 10-13 until 10-20 and now is in Upstate until 12-2017! So yes, they can be in the SHU for as long as the ticket committee decides. And we lost visits until December 2016. And yep it will affect Shock eligibility. Good luck
OMG!! That's so long to be in SHU!! I'm so sorry that is awful. I thought my 90 days was terrible!! Hang in there I know it must be awful- so sorry you have to go a whole year
Old 10-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
OMG!! That's so long to be in SHU!! I'm so sorry that is awful. I thought my 90 days was terrible!! Hang in there I know it must be awful- so sorry you have to go a whole year
This time around has by far been the worst for many different reasons.. Left county and went up at the end of October, few weeks in reception, got to Wyoming - Stayed a week and ended up in trouble and got sent to Midstate SHU200 till February (but this worked out great, its the closest to home he could be!), left there, went to Gouverneur all was good till April - Ended up in their Shu200 till August.. Went to Livingston, lasted just under a month and ended up in their SHU and now to Upstate long-term SHU till December 2017. I am in need a very LONG vacation! Its stressful for sure!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
This time around has by far been the worst for many different reasons.. Left county and went up at the end of October, few weeks in reception, got to Wyoming - Stayed a week and ended up in trouble and got sent to Midstate SHU200 till February (but this worked out great, its the closest to home he could be!), left there, went to Gouverneur all was good till April - Ended up in their Shu200 till August.. Went to Livingston, lasted just under a month and ended up in their SHU and now to Upstate long-term SHU till December 2017. I am in need a very LONG vacation! Its stressful for sure!
Is he getting into fights? What's going on? That's a lot of time in the SHU can he appeal the ticket or at least the amount of time?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:23 AM

Thank you everyone. This whole ordeal is devastating. I hope hes still getting my letters. I will make sure to call on Friday to check on visitation.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 AM

They get mail in SHU that's what got us through. I wrote everyday and eventually I was getting a letter from him everyday. It really helped
Old 10-26-2016, 07:07 PM

I spoke to his counselor, who wouldn't tell me anything. The only thing she said was that he got a 'ticket'. What does that mean??
Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I spoke to his counselor, who wouldn't tell me anything. The only thing she said was that he got a 'ticket'. What does that mean??
That means he got in trouble- the tickets are 1-3 one is not that bad and 3 is the worst. Since he's in SHU his ticket is most likely a 3. Tier 3 tickets are for fighting, drugs, contraband, things like that
Old 10-26-2016, 08:04 PM

Oh my god, what if Hes hurt? Would they even tell me?? I can't take this, I wish someone would tell me something, anything.....
Old 10-26-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Oh my god, what if Hes hurt? Would they even tell me?? I can't take this, I wish someone would tell me something, anything.....
If they won't even tell you what happened then No they won't tell you if he's hurt. Some facilities work differently and the employees will give you more info. Unfortunately for you it doesn't seem like he's at one of those places. I was fortunate to have a counselor who kept me updated and told me what my man was charged with and told me when he had his hearing and how long he would be in the prison until he would be moved to his SHU facility
Old 10-28-2016, 08:44 AM

Is 'the box' the same thing as SHU??? When I spoke to someone today they said he was in the box, so now im completely confused!!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Is he getting into fights? What's going on? That's a lot of time in the SHU can he appeal the ticket or at least the amount of time?
Failed drug test a few times.. And then they gave him a contraband ticket for having tobacco inside his pocket jacket, saying it is supposed to be in plain view. That is the ticket we appealed, just haven't heard back yet. Which is just nuts and the other ticket is a little more complicated, so that one is another appeal, just going to take more because we have to wait on hospital records.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Is 'the box' the same thing as SHU??? When I spoke to someone today they said he was in the box, so now im completely confused!!
Box and Shu are the same yes. But then they have what are called BIG boxes or SHU200. This is where you go when you get 60 days or more.
The Following User Says Thank You to NevaEndNoWorry For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Imagine my situation, just over a month ago. September 8th to be exact at 1235pm, my cell phone rings as I am sitting at my desk at work. A number appears with the same area code of where my husband is. A gentlemen on the other end says "Hi, I am calling from so and so facility to inform you that your husband is being sent to so and so local hospital." I said WHAT, WHY, IS HE OKAY? "Ma'am I cannot give you any information, please call them. They are located at so and so and the number is so and so."

Of course dealing with a hospital, I already knew what to expect. They wouldn't tell me anything over the phone due to HIPPA laws.

I frantically RUN to the other supervisors office and scream I need to leave because they rushed him to the hospital, luckily for me, she knows my current situation. I get on the road to make the 3 hour drive there and call the medical center at the hospital. A supervisor gets on the phone and asked me multiple questions, once I verified i was who i claimed to be, she disclosed the situation.

I arrived at the hospital and it was a nightmare! They wouldn't tell me a thing! I have my husbands power of attorney paperwork with me and they still wouldn't. I had to speak to the head nurse in charge and she was a wonderful lady! She gave me all the information she could.

But that is something we are wives/spouses deal with on a regular because they wont tell us much over the phone. All you have to do is sit, try to be patient and wait for a letter
Old 10-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Imagine my situation, just over a month ago. September 8th to be exact at 1235pm, my cell phone rings as I am sitting at my desk at work. A number appears with the same area code of where my husband is. A gentlemen on the other end says "Hi, I am calling from so and so facility to inform you that your husband is being sent to so and so local hospital." I said WHAT, WHY, IS HE OKAY? "Ma'am I cannot give you any information, please call them. They are located at so and so and the number is so and so."

Of course dealing with a hospital, I already knew what to expect. They wouldn't tell me anything over the phone due to HIPPA laws.

I frantically RUN to the other supervisors office and scream I need to leave because they rushed him to the hospital, luckily for me, she knows my current situation. I get on the road to make the 3 hour drive there and call the medical center at the hospital. A supervisor gets on the phone and asked me multiple questions, once I verified i was who i claimed to be, she disclosed the situation.

I arrived at the hospital and it was a nightmare! They wouldn't tell me a thing! I have my husbands power of attorney paperwork with me and they still wouldn't. I had to speak to the head nurse in charge and she was a wonderful lady! She gave me all the information she could.

But that is something we are wives/spouses deal with on a regular because they wont tell us much over the phone. All you have to do is sit, try to be patient and wait for a letter
Oh my goodness! I can't even imagine! I found out i can see him tomorrow! Im so excited but scared at the same time. Im afraid ill get all the way there and something will happen. Just the way my lucks been lately......
Old 10-28-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Oh my goodness! I can't even imagine! I found out i can see him tomorrow! Im so excited but scared at the same time. Im afraid ill get all the way there and something will happen. Just the way my lucks been lately......
Since he's still there you will be able to see him and once he gets moved you'll still be able to see him. In SHU THEY are allowed one visit a week as long as loss of visits isn't part of his punishment. Since you can see him you are good. Now you'll get to talk to him and find out what happened. I really hope he doesn't have a long sentence. It's so hard when they are there
Old 10-29-2016, 04:48 PM

I got to see him today!! <3 it wasn't as bad as I thought (or have been imaging this whole time). Maybe ill be able to get alittle sleep tonight
The Following User Says Thank You to saphireyez22 For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (10-30-2016)