Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the GREEN HAVEN HUB - Green Haven, Downstate, Fishkill, Beacon, Taconic, Bedford Hills.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:53 PM

Default Anyone have experience with Downstate phone calls?

I missed a call from my boyfriend he's in downstate I heard its 23 hour lock up for them do try only have a specific time that they can use the phone?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jro83 View Post
I missed a call from my boyfriend he's in downstate I heard its 23 hour lock up for them do try only have a specific time that they can use the phone?
There isn't one specific time they can make calls while in reception. Different Officers will let inmates make calls at different times. It's pretty random while in reception at downstate. If he's lucky and Dan be a porter he will get to call multiple times during the day
Old 10-26-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Iimas View Post
There isn't one specific time they can make calls while in reception. Different Officers will let inmates make calls at different times. It's pretty random while in reception at downstate. If he's lucky and Dan be a porter he will get to call multiple times during the day
Ok thanks never dealt with downstate before and with hearing the lockdown thing it had me worried we wouldn't get a chance to connect I'll just hope to get lucky and catch his call when I'm not working
Old 10-26-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks never dealt with downstate before and with hearing the lockdown thing it had me worried we wouldn't get a chance to connect I'll just hope to get lucky and catch his call when I'm not working
Is he in on a violation or a new charge? If it's a violation he will get moved out of downstate pretty fast in about 2-3 weeks
Old 10-26-2016, 07:48 PM

[quote=Mrs. Iimas;7577113]Is he in on a violation or a new charge? If it's a violation he will get moved out of downstate pretty fast in about 2-3 weeks

Yes it's a violation
Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 PM

[quote=Jro83;7577114]
Quote:
Is he in on a violation or a new charge? If it's a violation he will get moved out of downstate pretty fast in about 2-3 weeks

Yes it's a violation
Well he won't be in downstate too long. I live really close to downstate so I was able to see my man almost everyday while he was there- I hated that he had to be moved upstate. They have visits everyday there from 8:30-3 and they can get unlimited visits
Old 10-26-2016, 08:01 PM

[quote=Mrs. Iimas;7577115]
Quote:

Well he won't be in downstate too long. I live really close to downstate so I was able to see my man almost everyday while he was there- I hated that he had to be moved upstate. They have visits everyday there from 8:30-3 and they can get unlimited visits
That must have been nice I'm unfortunately on the island so it's a long drive for me to any of the facilities but we got to do what we got to do at least it's not gonna be to long...I'm shocked they get u limit d visits but limited time out of a cell doesn't seem fair thanks for all the info tho!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:08 PM

[quote=Jro83;7577117]
Quote:

That must have been nice I'm unfortunately on the island so it's a long drive for me to any of the facilities but we got to do what we got to do at least it's not gonna be to long...I'm shocked they get u limit d visits but limited time out of a cell doesn't seem fair thanks for all the info tho!
It's because downstate is a reception max prison. While in reception they are being classified for where they will go to do their time. The inmates who are doing their time at downstate are not locked in as much. It is a max so even the inmates who do time there are locked in a lot but not as much as those just passing through. It's not a 23 hour lock down. They are locked in the majority of the day but it's not 23hrs. The problem is because it's reception EVERYONE is trying to get on the phone so when they have rec time or phone time only so many people can get on the phone
Old 10-26-2016, 08:10 PM

[quote=Jro83;7577117]
Quote:

How long is his violation? Hopefully for your sake he won't be sent too far upstate so visits will be a little easier
Old 10-27-2016, 04:40 AM

In reception status, they are testing and seeing counselor first 2 weeks, (for pvs). Not normally any lock down situation, but a tightly run, time managed, first stop before gen pop. Chow, medical, all their destinations go in a group, (since most go through the same basic process from each incoming draft), so everything takes LONG time. So the free time can be nil during the day, and each count requires the entire unit to return to their cells.

After 2 weeks things will be loosening up daytime. Right now his whole unit is clamouring for the phones in their free evenings. It's tough. But it will get better. You will find a routine, and you'll find a new "regular". Just remember to breathe, and understand everything goes amazingly slow in NY S!

Last edited by Ms Sunny; 10-27-2016 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
LadyRampage (06-30-2018), nimuay (11-06-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 09:06 AM

When somebody gets to Downstate Reception, Directive 4423 says "A returned parole violator will be allowed to make one collect telephone call, within 24 hours after arrival, to a person of his/her choice.” I don’t know if they need an account with the phone service company to do that call, but I think they do need an account for all calls after that one. You probably should call Downstate and find out how to set up an account for your guy.

As for getting through and out of Downstate Reception quickly, that may or may not happen. I was there for 2 months. An old bunkie of mine went back in for a PV a while ago and he’s in Downstate Reception for 4 months as of this week. His max date is in January and they’ll probably just leave him there until he maxes out. When I went through Reception, there were guys in for 60-90 day PV’s and they did their entire PV run in Reception. Long story short = not everybody gets out of Reception "quickly”(?) and some do their entire PV stint there. Good luck to you both with however it goes.