Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MARYLAND > Maryland Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Maryland Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, half-way houses or release in Maryland should be posted here.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:05 PM

Unhappy HELP! friend needs job! asap

hey everyone... ive been on this site before when my ex was in prison for 8 years... i have had prison pen pals before and now after that relationship... i know what it was like for him when he first came home, but he didnt really have a hard time finding a job... my pen pal just came home after about 10 years... no one is really there for him. he lives in maryland, and feels like he has tried everything and its not panning out for him. i fear his going back to prison again. i know most do, and its usually because they cant make it out here!! i know it's beyond hard for a felon to find a job, harder than everyone else, but where can he go to find a job? without resorting back to old ways? is there someone in here that knows anyone in the montgomery county part of maryland that would give him a job? ive looked online because he doesnt have much access to use a computer, but i keep coming up with dead ends. please help, i would hate beyond words to see him resort back to old ways and to just give up on himself because no one is giving him a chance! thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2016, 11:20 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,623 Times in 7,664 Posts

I can't help you with local resources, but I honestly love the support, advice and job leads that I've seen on Jobs for Felons Hub. I'd check it out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove84 (12-18-2016), Tina (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 05:19 PM

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,291 Posts

Have you gone to maryland.gov? Click on jobs at the top of the page. There are 2 workforce job centers in Montgomery County; one in Wheaton and one in Germantown.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:13 PM

Thanked 1,737 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove84 View Post
hey everyone... ive been on this site before when my ex was in prison for 8 years... i have had prison pen pals before and now after that relationship... i know what it was like for him when he first came home, but he didnt really have a hard time finding a job... my pen pal just came home after about 10 years... no one is really there for him. he lives in maryland, and feels like he has tried everything and its not panning out for him. i fear his going back to prison again. i know most do, and its usually because they cant make it out here!! i know it's beyond hard for a felon to find a job, harder than everyone else, but where can he go to find a job? without resorting back to old ways? is there someone in here that knows anyone in the montgomery county part of maryland that would give him a job? ive looked online because he doesnt have much access to use a computer, but i keep coming up with dead ends. please help, i would hate beyond words to see him resort back to old ways and to just give up on himself because no one is giving him a chance! thank you!
I don't know what his skills are or his conviction but I went to a criminal justice reform summit recently & met the head of a regional Goodwill Industries. She said they have a career center & help people find jobs including people with convictions. Here is a link to some that might be in his area.
http://www.goodwillches.org/

Also try these-http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co..._services.html

https://exoffenders.net/reentry-prog...ance/maryland/

www.marylandcure.org/.../Reentry%20Programs%20-%20%20complete%20list.doc

https://www.catholiccharitiesdc.org/welcomehome

Since his conviction was over 7 years ago, many places don't go back past that on background checks. My son found some work by looking on Craigslist under Gigs. Most people there didn't ask for background checks.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:58 PM

Default Hi

I don't have any job leads for him but do know about fairshake.net which might be able to help if he hasn't found something.

There are quite a few programs I am finding in Baltimore. I have a friend getting out myself and have lined up a job through friends of mine. Fair Shake though has a lot of great stuff.

HVAC and Electrical seem to be relatively easy fields for them to get into as well as house rehab. Not fun work, but HVAC and Electrical pay living wages and can create a decent life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fallen1700 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-28-2018)