Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service, electronic monitoring, etc. in New Jersey should be posted here.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:31 PM
With God all is possible!

Unhappy Son sentenced to 4 years on VOP

Hello. My 22 yr old son was sentenced to a 3 year non-custodial probation term in 2015 for possession of CDS. Today the judge terminated the probation for non-compliance and sentenced him to 4 years.

My son served 1 week on this matter when he was originally arrested in 2014. A VOP was filed in 2016 and he failed to appear in court. A bench warrant was issued. He was picked up in June on a new charge with some friends and the VOP judge held him under a Garcia hold pending the outcome of that matter. Once that matter was dismissed, he was released in December 2016 on a 3 month review. He served almost 7 months in the County Jail.

This past month he travelled out of state after informing his probation officer of his plans. She did not reject his plans he gave her most of the planning docs. but she asked him to provide some additional paperwork and he did not. PO filed a VOP for out of state travel and other conditions not being met. Judge remanded him last month and he's since served an additional 41 days at the county jail.

At his sentencing today he was sentenced to 4 years. He and I both nervously tuned out anything the judge was saying once we heard 4 years as we both were expecting time served or a 364.

Friends in the court room are telling me now that when the judge was going over jail credits he failed to mention the time he served on his Garcia hold from June to December 2016 (7 months). Shouldn't the county have a record of his time served there? I'm worried that if the judge did fail to mention these 7 months on the record he will not be credited properly.

How much time will he actually serve on this 4 yr sentence? I'm sorry if I'm all over the place. Today's events caught both of us off-guard. Is it a bad idea to call Judge's chambers on Monday to confirm? He had the worst Public Defender today. :-(. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:37 AM

every where he might go they have a law library and paralegals there. some are better than others. they are used to dealing with matters such as jail credits so his best bet would be to bring all his paperwork to the law library and seek their help. Usually they have all the forms and paperwork already made and only have to enter his information. As to how much time it depends on work credits (tell him to get a 7 day a week job) which will shorten his sentence. Also he will come up for parole during his time but whether they grant it to him is really a crap shoot. It cant hurt if he does either a drug program in there or any of the social service programs to look better for parole. hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kronikenergy For This Useful Post:
tica1224 (05-24-2017), Tina (05-13-2017)