Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

West Virginia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of West Virginia.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Default How to prove you knew someone pre-incarceration?

I am trying to visit a friend at mount olive and it says that we have to prove we knew each other pre-incarceration. We did know each other before he was incarcerated but I have no idea how to "prove" this. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Thanked 1,463 Times in 799 Posts

I don't know what the prison will believe or accept.

If I were proving it in a normal situation I'd show records of electronic communication or affidavits from mutual friends.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,671 Times in 8,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozybear15 View Post
I am trying to visit a friend at mount olive and it says that we have to prove we knew each other pre-incarceration. We did know each other before he was incarcerated but I have no idea how to "prove" this. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm assuming "it" is an application form? If so, what does it ask for or what kind of space does it leave for proof.

If this is a general regulation and no one is directly asking you for proof, then I wouldn't sweat it (though I wouldn't try to to circumvent, either...I've seen some stories). Apply to visit and cross that bridge if you come to it.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:02 AM

It is just a 2 line space on the visitation form. I applied for visitation once before and it was denied due to not being able to substantially prove a relationship pre-incarceration. When I sent it in the first time I just put a basic statement of when where and how we met (not very detailed as they only provide 2 lines) due to the limited space for explanation I assumed they just wanted the general why when how. It doesn't ask to send in any type of records or anything like that so I didn't.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
I don't know what the prison will believe or accept.

If I were proving it in a normal situation I'd show records of electronic communication or affidavits from mutual friends.
I didn't think of this. This may have to be my next option
Old 10-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,671 Times in 8,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozybear15 View Post
It is just a 2 line space on the visitation form. I applied for visitation once before and it was denied due to not being able to substantially prove a relationship pre-incarceration. When I sent it in the first time I just put a basic statement of when where and how we met (not very detailed as they only provide 2 lines) due to the limited space for explanation I assumed they just wanted the general why when how. It doesn't ask to send in any type of records or anything like that so I didn't.
That's crazy. Welcome to the world of DOC red tape. I would take Minor's advice and try to dig up FB messages or email exchanges (with dates showing), photos on Instagram. Write "see attached" in the lines provided and hope for the best. I'm sorry they're being so difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-10-2017)