Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > USP Victorville
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

USP Victorville Topics and discussion specific to USP VIctorville in Adelanto, CA.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:44 PM

Default Problems in USP Victorville SHU

Hi, I'm new here. My fiance is in USP Victorville. We started out writing as religious penpals through a priest we both knew. He is originally from the town I live in. We have been writing to each other daily for a year and a half. My concern is that he's been in SHU since he arrived at USP Victorville and that was on March 2, 2017. He thought he'd be transferred closer to NH when he got moved from Terre Haute, but they sent him about as far away as they could. He's 62 and has a host of health problems and has been hoping to be transferred to FMC Fort Devens. He voluntarily stayed in SHU for his own safety, but he's anything but safe. He's had 12 trips to the ER since March, and this latest one was for a "severely bruised brain" evidently due to something that was egged on by one of the SHU lieutenants. This is just the latest in a string of alleged retaliations committed against him since he filed his first grievance about not getting pens to fill out legal forms with. You can't buy pens or pencils form the SHU commissary at USP Victorville. When things got so bad I couldn't stand it anymore, I wrote a formal letter to the Western Regional Office of the BOP and forwarded it to my state representatives. One of our Senators, Jeanne Shaheen, opened a formal inquiry with the BOP in Washington. He was already fearing for his life when the inquiry was opened on September 15, 2017, and they put someone in with him who is serving a 720 month sentence and has nothing to lose if he gets violent. My guy is supposed to get out in 3 1/2 years and he just wants to do his time and come home. But with his health problems and the games they are playing in there, I am concerned that he won't come out of there alive. We've had a good relationship thus far. I just fear for his safety. I'm not expecting anyone on here to have a "solution," I'm just making known what's going on in case anyone has a similar issue with a loved one in SHU in USP Victorville.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carmel65 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-17-2017), Lytebryte (11-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 PM

Good I see you found it
Old 10-16-2017, 09:50 PM

Try to talk to fbopnomore....he/she seems very knowledgeable about everything!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley123 View Post
Try to talk to fbopnomore....he/she seems very knowledgeable about everything!
Do I type that into the search box?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Fbopnomore is a site moderator....I think you can click on their name and you will be able to send them a message
Also a lady Inamood might be a good one to talk to
Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 PM

Also you can go back to the page with all the threads on it and in the top left you can hit search forums and look up people specifically....there are some really knowledgeable people on this site...alot of times i just try to learn what i can by reading alot of posts
Old 10-16-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel65 View Post
Do I type that into the search box?
https://cic.dc.gov/page/inspection
look at this
Old 10-16-2017, 10:41 PM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 798 Posts

I've never used them for anything but lots of people have said good things about Fedcure, at fedcure.org.
fbopnomore (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,883 Times in 12,635 Posts

Post your questions on the public boards to help the most people, unless you are worried about retaliation for giving out too much specific information, then send me a private message.

I was lucky enough to avoid Victorville altogether, but from everything I have read, it has to be just about the worst bop prison anywhere, except for maybe the (now two) ADMAX prisons.

Jack Abbot wrote "In the Belly of the Beast" that the meanest, most powerful prison gang is the prison staff. The inmate beatings by COs have declined since he wrote the book, but the staff still has lots of ways to punish prisoners for complaining, both formally and unofficially too.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 AM

>I'm just making known what's going on in case anyone has a similar issue with a loved one in SHU in USP Victorville.

You will make both them and you stronger by connecting.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 AM

I read that report before when he first arrived at USP Victorville. I read a lot of things when he first arrived there. And obviously things have not gotten any better and in many cases it seems as if things have gotten worse since that report.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Post your questions on the public boards to help the most people, unless you are worried about retaliation for giving out too much specific information, then send me a private message.

I was lucky enough to avoid Victorville altogether, but from everything I have read, it has to be just about the worst bop prison anywhere, except for maybe the (now two) ADMAX prisons.

Jack Abbot wrote "In the Belly of the Beast" that the meanest, most powerful prison gang is the prison staff. The inmate beatings by COs have declined since he wrote the book, but the staff still has lots of ways to punish prisoners for complaining, both formally and unofficially too.
Retaliation? There has been nothing but retaliation since his first grievance about not getting ink pens to fill out his court forms. The letter I received from him where his cellie was ordered to beat him up to be moved to another cell and refused is when I had had enough and started contacting my state representative. So it's well-documented that our Senator is involved so if anything more happens to him they're going to wish it hadn't because I'm sure some major news Outlet will be willing to do a story on this. And then they're not going to be hot able to hide what they're doing from the American public anymore.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 AM

There's a new director at the BOP. Nobody seems to know what he's really like but at least he's not part of their old boy network. Hearing about this might (or might not) make him angry.

Another place to try is the Inspector General, https://oig.justice.gov/. They have a long record of holding BOP people to account. They know what a coverup looks like. Look at the kinds of investigations they talk about on their web page.

I don't expect they'll help one individual but the ACLU National Prison Project may be interested in one more piece of evidence against Victorville's management.
fbopnomore (10-17-2017), Hurley123 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The staff has probably amended his inmate file to read "complainer", which will follow him for as long as he is locked up by the bop. I learned that when a bus lieutenant from USP Lewisburg, who had never seen any of us before, walked down the line of prisoners waiting to get on his bus and screamed at just about everyone while reading from the files he was given for the transport. "So you are a complainer, why don't you complain to me so I can kick your ass right here", "child molester? Don't even look at me or you will be sorry", etc.

Of the bop prisons I was in, USP Lewisburg was the absolute worst, but I missed out on a first hand experience at Victorville so it might even be worse there (although the only time I was assaulted by a CO was at Lewisburg and then I was locked in a SHU cell that had to have been 120 degrees Fahrenheit because of a huge steam pipe, coated in asbestos, that was too hot to touch. Why have the heat on the Summer.? I thought I would die there).

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-17-2017 at 09:10 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-17-2017), Hurley123 (10-17-2017), kaarskiwi (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 PM

I would focus on his health complaint as it sounds like he is already has the label of troublemaker. Instead of focusing on where you want him to be moved to focus on him being moved to a medical prison facility. There are only two I believe one is in Texas. You can write the state senator also and they will go there and look in his medical file. I am sure Victorville will pepper the file with so man things they have done for him.
Also, have you MET him in a visit? Ever? I hope so. Dont move too quickly and really to minister to inmates it is better it stays platonic. When a man gets out it is better also they get on their feet alone before you rush into any cohabitation or wedding. I am not saying he is manipulating you but many many men have manipulated ladies and when they get out either they turn the womans world upside down in a bad way or they never see him again. Help him as a fellow human but please guard your heart a little bit. I used to have a support group for women on yahoo for years and I wish I had better success stories but truthfully if they werent together on the outside before incarceration it never worked out. That is only for about 50 women that I followed.
Victorville is a horrible prison for sure though that is no exaggeration. I dont visit anymore it isnt worth the stress. But, we are married and he does get out soon and we were together on the outside so we do the best we can with phone calls, emails and letters. Good luck with your friends health crisis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julzb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-19-2017), marrybelle (10-19-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Default Worst

Quote:
Hi, I'm new here. My fiance is in USP Victorville. We started out writing as religious penpals through a priest we both knew. He is originally from the town I live in. We have been writing to each other daily for a year and a half. My concern is that he's been in SHU since he arrived at USP Victorville and that was on March 2, 2017. He thought he'd be transferred closer to NH when he got moved from Terre Haute, but they sent him about as far away as they could. He's 62 and has a host of health problems and has been hoping to be transferred to FMC Fort Devens. He voluntarily stayed in SHU for his own safety, but he's anything but safe. He's had 12 trips to the ER since March, and this latest one was for a "severely bruised brain" evidently due to something that was egged on by one of the SHU lieutenants. This is just the latest in a string of alleged retaliations committed against him since he filed his first grievance about not getting pens to fill out legal forms with. You can't buy pens or pencils form the SHU commissary at USP Victorville. When things got so bad I couldn't stand it anymore, I wrote a formal letter to the Western Regional Office of the BOP and forwarded it to my state representatives. One of our Senators, Jeanne Shaheen, opened a formal inquiry with the BOP in Washington. He was already fearing for his life when the inquiry was opened on September 15, 2017, and they put someone in with him who is serving a 720 month sentence and has nothing to lose if he gets violent. My guy is supposed to get out in 3 1/2 years and he just wants to do his time and come home. But with his health problems and the games they are playing in there, I am concerned that he won't come out of there alive. We've had a good relationship thus far. I just fear for his safety. I'm not expecting anyone on here to have a "solution," I'm just making known what's going on in case anyone has a similar issue with a loved one in SHU in USP Victorville.
Yes Victorville is the worst ever. My Husband is in the SHU there now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Van Tuyl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-23-2017), julzb (11-07-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:08 AM

I am sorry he is going through this. Yes Victorville is the Worst ever. My husband is in the SHU there now. they mistreat them back there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Van Tuyl For This Useful Post:
julzb (11-07-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 PM

Thanks for your support. I finally did get something that he wrote on October 5th and didn't get it until this past Saturday and in it he went into detail about why he spent five days in the hospital. The cellie they put in with him who had nothing to lose beat him within an inch of his life and kept beating on him while he was unconscious. I'm surprised he came out of that alive. He had been saying that he feared for his life and obviously for good reason. There's a bright side to this though, he is currently at the Federal Transfer Center in Oklahoma City so he's not in Victorville anymore. I'll be praying for everyone else who's left in there especially in SHU and I'm hoping that the inquiry that was started by my senator helps to change things over there for everybody else. And speaking of my senator, anyone reading this who has similar issues going on get your state representatives involved. It doesn't matter what state you live in because it's the federal system. If enough of us do I believe it will cause the bop to have to make changes.
fbopnomore (10-23-2017), julzb (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 AM

Are new inmates placed in the SHU after arrival? My friend has been transferred to the USP last thursday and I havenít heard from him since...
Old 11-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I hope you hear from him soon.

If he was in the SHU at his last prison, the answer is probably yes. Otherwise it may happen when there is a shortage of general program beds, until one becomes available.

He may not be in the SHU, just unable to contact you yet because his counselor was unavailable.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I hope you hear from him soon.

If he was in the SHU at his last prison, the answer is probably yes. Otherwise it may happen when there is a shortage of general program beds, until one becomes available.

He may not be in the SHU, just unable to contact you yet because his counselor was unavailable.

Thanks! Guess I have to wait...
The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
Are new inmates placed in the SHU after arrival? My friend has been transferred to the USP last thursday and I havenít heard from him since...
I don't know about all inmates, but my fiance was put in SHU as soon as he got there. They told him it was for his protection. He's no longer there, now, though. He's at FTC Oklahoma City after being severely beaten in SHU after being in there for seven months. Write to your friend at the prison even if you are not hearing from him. He will still get US mail while in SHU.
fbopnomore (11-06-2017), Siobhan (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know about all inmates, but my fiance was put in SHU as soon as he got there. They told him it was for his protection. He's no longer there, now, though. He's at FTC Oklahoma City after being severely beaten in SHU after being in there for seven months. Write to your friend at the prison even if you are not hearing from him. He will still get US mail while in SHU.

Thanks! Wow, that sounds bad... :-( Heís just been transferred from FTC Oklahoma to Victorville. I just sent him a letter, but mail seems to be very slow these days....
Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
Thanks! Wow, that sounds bad... :-( Heís just been transferred from FTC Oklahoma to Victorville. I just sent him a letter, but mail seems to be very slow these days....
Yes, the mail is slow there. I'm not sure where you are located, but I'm in New Hampshire, so my mail had to go across the country. He may also have a problem writing back to you, because they can't buy pens or pencils to write with from the SHU commissary, so you will have to be patient. They have to rely on SHU staff to provide them with pens (they are not allowed to have pencils from what I was told) and they can be real butt heads about giving inmates pens. I know my man always tells me if don't hear from him to keep writing anyway. When he first got there, I found the mailing address online and just sent him greeting cards to let him know I didn't give up on him. He said he was depressed but when he got my first card it made him feel a lot better. SHU is a horrible place, especially at USP Victorville, so even if you're not hearing from him, I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing from you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carmel65 For This Useful Post:
Siobhan (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Problems in USP Victorville SHU

Thank you so much for the info! Iím from The Netherlands, so Iím scared itís going to take ďa coupleĒ of days for him to get my letter... Didnít realize that place was so horrible. I will send him cards and letters to let him know Iím still here!
Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-06-2017)