Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:20 PM

Default Probation Violation for leaving state without permission

Hello, this is my first time on PT. I was gonna join last year but my hubby got out! He was almost out for a year, and he was doing amazing.
Last week he was picked up on some unpaid traffic fines. The judge was going to release him, but saw his po put a pernanent detainer on him. I went in today and paid his fines thinking it was only for that. Well, I had my first visit with him later on in the day. He has a probation violation for leaving the state without permission. He has his Gagman hearing on Tuesday. Iím pregnant and we donít want him missing out on the pregnancy. What can I do to bring him home early? How much time is he looking at?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2018, 06:39 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,276 Posts

It sounds like he had his Gagnon I hearing, which is to determine if there are grounds for revocation. The next step is the Gagnon II hearing, at which time they determine if there's been a violation and, if so, what sanction should be imposed.

A lot depends on whether he was under state or county supervision. In county cases, the sentencing court makes these decisions; in state cases, the PBPP makes the decisions.

In any event, this will turn on the facts, such as why he left Pennsylvania without permission, where he went, how long, etc. If they determine that this was a simple day trip to NJ, for example, then it's far less serious than if he went farther away for weeks at a time.

A lot will also depend on his supervision history up to that point. The parole/probation officer has a lot of influence in the outcome.

There isn't much you can do. he is entitled to a lawyer during these proceedings and one would be appointed if he requests it.
patchouli (09-02-2018)