Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 4 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 4 Facilities Information and Discussion about the following facilities: Charlotte CI, Dade CI, Everglades CI, Homestead CI, Martin CI, Moore Haven CF, Okeechobee CI, South Bay CF, SFRC, SFRC-S

Old 09-24-2018, 08:56 PM

Default My son is heading to South Florida Reception Center in a few weeks or so..

Can anyone tell me what he can expect? Can he bring anything with him when transferring from county to the reception center? He will be transferred from Collier County FL to S FL Reception Center in a few weeks or so. Also, is there anything I can sign up for now, ie: visitation, commissary, etc. Also wondering how long approximately he will be there? Thanks so much, heart broken Mom needs help. He is only 19, turned 19 in county jail..headed for a very very long sentence
So hard he was never in any trouble prior to this OMG I can't handle it. Thanks so much for any info to help us.
The Following User Says Thank You to mareetee60$ For This Useful Post:
91214BJ (10-25-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2018, 01:13 PM

My friend went through Central FL reception, but I imagine it is similar. You can't sign up for much until he transfers and is assigned a DOC number. My friend was there about 6 weeks before he transferred to his perm.

Once there, send him $$, envelopes, paper and stamps. Phones are through Securus and email is through Jpay. He won't have access to either for awhile. You can find the visitor form on the FLDOC web site and send him your phone bill when he transfers. Have everyone who he will want to talk to send them ASAP and he needs them all before he turns them in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Friend in Jail For This Useful Post:
mareetee60$ (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend in Jail View Post
My friend went through Central FL reception, but I imagine it is similar. You can't sign up for much until he transfers and is assigned a DOC number. My friend was there about 6 weeks before he transferred to his perm.

Once there, send him $$, envelopes, paper and stamps. Phones are through Securus and email is through Jpay. He won't have access to either for awhile. You can find the visitor form on the FLDOC web site and send him your phone bill when he transfers. Have everyone who he will want to talk to send them ASAP and he needs them all before he turns them in.
Thank you so much that was great information.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:26 PM

When my husband was transferred from county to state back in April he was only allowed to bring his Bible, letters, glasses....I also had given him a copy of our phone bill so that he already had that with him to get approved. I am not going to lie; he said reception is very hard (and this isn't his first bid). They go through a lot of testing (mental, physical, IQ, vision). There is also the aspect of getting used to what they can and can not do. Tell him to keep his nose clean, don't get mixed up with the wrong group of people, and to just do his time and not worry about anyone else.

As for you, you can go ahead and establish a Jpay and Securus account. Once he has been in DOC custody about 24 hours, you can find his inmate number and can then add money to his commissary account and the phone (phone will not be approved yet, but you want money on there so he can call asap.) He will most likely be there close to a month. I did go ahead and get the visitation forms filled out and ready to mail. Once I found out his home camp, I mailed them straight to Classifications. Hubby's CO told me the other day that they can now be emailed or sent in electronically now.

Other than this momma, all you can do is pray and wait it out. We are here if you need to vent or ask questions....and, personally, my message box it always open. Good luck.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
91214BJ (10-25-2018), mareetee60$ (09-25-2018), xolady (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnielg View Post
When my husband was transferred from county to state back in April he was only allowed to bring his Bible, letters, glasses....I also had given him a copy of our phone bill so that he already had that with him to get approved. I am not going to lie; he said reception is very hard (and this isn't his first bid). They go through a lot of testing (mental, physical, IQ, vision). There is also the aspect of getting used to what they can and can not do. Tell him to keep his nose clean, don't get mixed up with the wrong group of people, and to just do his time and not worry about anyone else.

As for you, you can go ahead and establish a Jpay and Securus account. Once he has been in DOC custody about 24 hours, you can find his inmate number and can then add money to his commissary account and the phone (phone will not be approved yet, but you want money on there so he can call asap.) He will most likely be there close to a month. I did go ahead and get the visitation forms filled out and ready to mail. Once I found out his home camp, I mailed them straight to Classifications. Hubby's CO told me the other day that they can now be emailed or sent in electronically now.

Other than this momma, all you can do is pray and wait it out. We are here if you need to vent or ask questions....and, personally, my message box it always open. Good luck.
Thank you so very much! That was wonderful information. I was wondering If I could set everything up in advance. Sounds like I should get that going.Sorry my phone is crazy or most likely its me..did you say I can set up Jpay? I already have Securus here in Collier County but its only for video or onsite video visits. It probably needs his soon to be new DOC number? The number he has now is most likely going to be null and void...is that correct?
Thanks again, my nightmare is going to last for a very long timeBut I love my son and I will stay strong for him!
Thanks again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mareetee60$ For This Useful Post:
Sunnielg (09-25-2018), xolady (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM

Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,114 Posts

My husband was permanent at SFRC for 2 years and the younger inmates were kept separate from the older ones for whatever reasons they are way more strict and kept on a much tighter confined rein while there. But all in all he did say it was to keep the younger guys from getting in trouble, it seemed kind of like boot camp. I hope he adjusts well, I feel for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
mareetee60$ (09-25-2018), Sunnielg (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:18 PM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareetee60$ View Post
Thank you so very much! That was wonderful information. I was wondering If I could set everything up in advance. Sounds like I should get that going.Sorry my phone is crazy or most likely its me..did you say I can set up Jpay? I already have Securus here in Collier County but its only for video or onsite video visits. It probably needs his soon to be new DOC number? The number he has now is most likely going to be null and void...is that correct?
Thanks again, my nightmare is going to last for a very long timeBut I love my son and I will stay strong for him!
Thanks again!
i have the jpay and securus app on my cell phone so that he can email and videogram me messages between phone calls. securus is who their calls (atleast up here in north florida go through) and jpay you can set up video messages and emails, send money, etc. its a really great resource to have while waiting for your phone calls to get approved.

heres to the new me, she deserves better than what the old me has allowed..

The Following User Says Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
mareetee60$ (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsQueen View Post
i have the jpay and securus app on my cell phone so that he can email and videogram me messages between phone calls. securus is who their calls (atleast up here in north florida go through) and jpay you can set up video messages and emails, send money, etc. its a really great resource to have while waiting for your phone calls to get approved.
Yes, that is really good! We have Smart jail mail right now and I have to say its been so great for us. The phone calls are working for us...so sad and silent most of the time. He lets his feelings out better with the emails and has a better demeanor it seems. He teels me about what he is reading and asks me to look up misc. random things that pop into his head. I hope he will have access to an ipod and or tablet in prison yuck how I despise that word!
I guess we shall see.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is really good! We have Smart jail mail right now and I have to say its been so great for us. The phone calls are working for us...so sad and silent most of the time. He lets his feelings out better with the emails and has a better demeanor it seems. He teels me about what he is reading and asks me to look up misc. random things that pop into his head. I hope he will have access to an ipod and or tablet in prison yuck how I despise that word!
I guess we shall see.
I meant to say the phone calls are not working for us at the moment. Thanks for your great advice and info!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:48 PM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
I guess we shall see.
I hate that word too, I have a hard time bringing myself to say hes in prison. when he was in county the phones worked for us too but once he got transferred out of county they made me submit my phone bill and such for approval. the video grams are great. when I miss him I play them over and it helps a lot to see him. they cost 4 stamps (each email costs 1 stamp, each pic is 1 additional stamp per picture) each but honestly its worth it. talking about it is great, the tablets don't cost much (the small one cost less than $50, not sure what the big one costs) and it has a music player and everything on it so hes not having to wait for a kiosk to open up they can do all their communication all day long from their tablet.

mareetee60$ (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:54 PM

Oh wow OMG I can't wait to tell my son! He will be so happy, well you know, glad maybe...What do you mean by a stamp? Sorry im a newbie!
Quote:
I hate that word too, I have a hard time bringing myself to say hes in prison. when he was in county the phones worked for us too but once he got transferred out of county they made me submit my phone bill and such for approval. the video grams are great. when I miss him I play them over and it helps a lot to see him. they cost 4 stamps (each email costs 1 stamp, each pic is 1 additional stamp per picture) each but honestly its worth it. talking about it is great, the tablets don't cost much (the small one cost less than $50, not sure what the big one costs) and it has a music player and everything on it so hes not having to wait for a kiosk to open up they can do all their communication all day long from their tablet.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 PM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Oh wow OMG I can't wait to tell my son! He will be so happy, well you know, glad maybe...What do you mean by a stamp? Sorry im a newbie!
its kinda like purchasing minutes on the phones, there are packages of a few sizes, for $4.40 you get 10 stamps, $12.00 you get 30, $21.00 you get 60 stamps, when you send them it charges you whatever amount of stamps for that message (its 4 stamps for a 30 second videogram, 1 stamp per email). and its ok, im having to figure all this stuff out myself, im pretty new to all this and slowly getting it all figured out. no need to be sorry at all. on our end we can send them stamps to reply (which costs for that depend on what you are sending) but they cant send us prepaid replies (I think that sounds confusing, basically we can buy them stamps but they cant buy us them lol)

mareetee60$ (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
its kinda like purchasing minutes on the phones, there are packages of a few sizes, for $4.40 you get 10 stamps, $12.00 you get 30, $21.00 you get 60 stamps, when you send them it charges you whatever amount of stamps for that message (its 4 stamps for a 30 second videogram, 1 stamp per email). and its ok, im having to figure all this stuff out myself, im pretty new to all this and slowly getting it all figured out. no need to be sorry at all. on our end we can send them stamps to reply (which costs for that depend on what you are sending) but they cant send us prepaid replies (I think that sounds confusing, basically we can buy them stamps but they cant buy us them lol)
Okay, nice! I get it, I think! Now I send him money for the smart jail mail and they are called credits..so just different verbiage I guess. If I send him a pictures 2 credits an email is 1 credit and they are .50 each. It adds up because we use it a lot, but I'm not complaining. I love hearing from him several times a day. If I don't hear from him I freak out! I hope we can start emailing soon after he gets to South FL reception . I'll be worried out of my mind! My s9n is only 19 it scares me to death if they put him with older guys, you know what I mean? So many worries! He has no worldly or street smart experience. He's very naiive and impressionable. He believes everything other inmates tell him, it is a worry.
MPsQueen (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 PM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Okay, nice! I get it, I think! Now I send him money for the smart jail mail and they are called credits..so just different verbiage I guess. If I send him a pictures 2 credits an email is 1 credit and they are .50 each. It adds up because we use it a lot, but I'm not complaining. I love hearing from him several times a day. If I don't hear from him I freak out! I hope we can start emailing soon after he gets to South FL reception . I'll be worried out of my mind! My s9n is only 19 it scares me to death if they put him with older guys, you know what I mean? So many worries! He has no worldly or street smart experience. He's very naiive and impressionable. He believes everything other inmates tell him, it is a worry.
oh I definitely get it. my boyfriend is a bit older than his other bunkies (hes 39 and his bunkies are in their early 20s) and hes kinda taken them under his wing so they can avoid the ones he can kind of see are only there to be a problem for others. hopefully your son finds someone like that to help him along rather than try to make things more difficult for him. I get the same way when it comes to not hearing from my man, I was so spoiled when he was in baker county between daily video visitations 6 days a week, multiple (and I mean ALOT) calls a day, contact visitation here and there. the transition freaked me out going from all that to what we get now but its getting much better the closer it gets to him being transferred to his main camp, so we are patiently waiting for that. was told yesterday the reception centers are 30 day to 6 week stays before they are moved again so keep that in mind

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
mareetee60$ (09-25-2018), Sunnielg (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:43 PM

Yes, I was checking on one of my son's "friends", so to speak , he was at SFRC for 6 weeks. I saw the guys picture and I freaked out, bruised up face..looks like he was sent to one of the reception medical centers for 1 day due to cuts on his face OMG so scary , then off to his permanent place. I felt so sorry for the guy..he did a stupid thing but doesn't, in my opinion, ( which means nothing) deserve 7 years
in prison for what he did. I could only dream of my son getting only 7 years!! My poor son will be in for the duration of my life! Its still so unbelievable to me, its just like a horrific nightmare that keeps getting worse and worse.
I wish you and your boyfriend well! That's nice he is watching out for the younger ones. Are they in a cell at the reception centers, or does it depend on your charges, do you know?
Quote:
oh I definitely get it. my boyfriend is a bit older than his other bunkies (hes 39 and his bunkies are in their early 20s) and hes kinda taken them under his wing so they can avoid the ones he can kind of see are only there to be a problem for others. hopefully your son finds someone like that to help him along rather than try to make things more difficult for him. I get the same way when it comes to not hearing from my man, I was so spoiled when he was in baker county between daily video visitations 6 days a week, multiple (and I mean ALOT) calls a day, contact visitation here and there. the transition freaked me out going from all that to what we get now but its getting much better the closer it gets to him being transferred to his main camp, so we are patiently waiting for that. was told yesterday the reception centers are 30 day to 6 week stays before they are moved again so keep that in mind
MPsQueen (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
My husband was permanent at SFRC for 2 years and the younger inmates were kept separate from the older ones for whatever reasons they are way more strict and kept on a much tighter confined rein while there. But all in all he did say it was to keep the younger guys from getting in trouble, it seemed kind of like boot camp. I hope he adjusts well, I feel for you.
Thank you, that's good, I hope! I appreciate your info!
xolady (10-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 PM

My husband tends to take the younger ones in too....and then fusses because they get stupid at times. lol Men!

On Jpay, you will need to add his DOC info so that the money goes to the correct account. I usually buy the $22 stamp package and then transfer half to him. We email usually once a day, and a phone call once a day (if not I tend to freak out). "Hey Honey, this is my I am alive call. Whatcha doing?" Unless something important is going on we usually have about 5 min calls but I budget for 1 15 min call per day. I travel 3 hours one way (I live in the panhandle and he is close to Lake City) every Saturday to see him and we do most of our talking then.

It will take some adjusting and getting used to a new normal, but he can, and will, adjust. He just needs to take some time to figure out what he can do to make his life better....even behind bars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
mareetee60$ (09-25-2018), MPsQueen (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
My husband tends to take the younger ones in too....and then fusses because they get stupid at times. lol Men!

On Jpay, you will need to add his DOC info so that the money goes to the correct account. I usually buy the $22 stamp package and then transfer half to him. We email usually once a day, and a phone call once a day (if not I tend to freak out). "Hey Honey, this is my I am alive call. Whatcha doing?" Unless something important is going on we usually have about 5 min calls but I budget for 1 15 min call per day. I travel 3 hours one way (I live in the panhandle and he is close to Lake City) every Saturday to see him and we do most of our talking then.

It will take some adjusting and getting used to a new normal, but he can, and will, adjust. He just needs to take some time to figure out what he can do to make his life better....even behind bars.
Thank you for your advice and your support. Tonight is one of those scary and confusing nights...didn't hear from him at all tonight! Sometimes he falls asleep after dinner and stays in his bunk. Rotting away at 19 years old, God help us
Old 09-25-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your advice and your support. Tonight is one of those scary and confusing nights...didn't hear from him at all tonight! Sometimes he falls asleep after dinner and stays in his bunk. Rotting away at 19 years old, God help us
Anytime....we all need support and people who are not living this life do not get it at all. I totally get the scary and confusing days myself. My anxiety goes sky high if I don't hear from him daily. I have recently told him that if he cant call to at least email me and if I don't hear from him within a 3 day period, I am calling those fools to see why he isn't calling. I have no problem calling the prison and asking them questions or if they are on lock down....none at all. Normally they are very nice and after telling them that I am just after the "correct information" they answer questions. I have only had one person get ugly with me and one person that I had to made pull up the 33s and read them. lol I'd say I have been lucky.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
mareetee60$ (09-26-2018), MPsQueen (09-26-2018), xolady (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Anytime....we all need support and people who are not living this life do not get it at all. I totally get the scary and confusing days myself. My anxiety goes sky high if I don't hear from him daily. I have recently told him that if he cant call to at least email me and if I don't hear from him within a 3 day period, I am calling those fools to see why he isn't calling. I have no problem calling the prison and asking them questions or if they are on lock down....none at all. Normally they are very nice and after telling them that I am just after the "correct information" they answer questions. I have only had one person get ugly with me and one person that I had to made pull up the 33s and read them. lol I'd say I have been lucky.
Oh wow okay I didn't realize you could call and actually talk to someone, good to know. Early on in this mess I did report the county jail due to maggots in my sons food, bleach sprayed in his face by a "trustee", and a CO put someone in his at the time small cell to yell in his face for 24 hours. Later found out he was an informant trying to get my son to further incriminate himself.At least I got the health dept over there for an inspection, because I reported the maggots to them.UGH, sometimes people are so mean! Have a good day, I will try to do the same!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mareetee60$ For This Useful Post:
Sunnielg (09-26-2018), xolady (09-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:15 PM

Does anyone know if there will be transfer delays due to Hurricane Michael?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:31 PM

My son is in county waiting to be to transferred to SFRC. He is scared to death he's only 19 and is wondering where he will end up, of course I know there's no way to find that out, but I was just wondering if they would take into consideration his age, for a safer placement, or am I naive to hope for that? Can he request to be put in PC? He was told you have to be in a fight before they will put you in PC. That seems so crazy...does anyone know if that's true?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:40 PM

Does anyone know about jailhouse lawyers? And how do inmates go about becoming one? My son is asking me all these questions from the county jail. Of course he's getting a lot of misinformation from some of the inmates there. He is young and naiive and believes everything they are telling him! Yikes! So scary!!
Old 10-27-2018, 07:16 PM
missin my babe so much

Quote:
Does anyone know about jailhouse lawyers? And how do inmates go about becoming one? My son is asking me all these questions from the county jail. Of course he's getting a lot of misinformation from some of the inmates there. He is young and naiive and believes everything they are telling him! Yikes! So scary!!
Over the years I've learned a lot of people become lawyers whewhen their in the county. Someone told my brother to file a motion even though he has a lawyer and dummy listening files not only the wrong case but admitted to the crime without realizing. Thankfully he had a real lawyer and judge dismissed motion

Old 10-27-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love baby View Post
Over the years I've learned a lot of people become lawyers whewhen their in the county. Someone told my brother to file a motion even though he has a lawyer and dummy listening files not only the wrong case but admitted to the crime without realizing. Thankfully he had a real lawyer and judge dismissed motion
Wow...I know a lot of the inmates are trying to "teach" my 19 year old son all their vast prison knowledge. From my research it looks like most of it is wrong! They told him to tell me to look up his name on the d o c and that means the next day he'll be transferred to the Reception Center from County where he is right now. But I read that once you're transferred to the Reception Center it takes 24 hours for your name to appear on the d o c. Yes and that was just one of the questions he asked me because people are telling him to become a jailhouse lawyer, what?! I worry because he believes everything everybody tells him... Except for me of course! Just kidding , but he is more likely to believe them over me which is unbelievable to me but I guess he has to fit in to exist.