Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Question FBOP Visitor Form - Copy of Drivers License? Correspond w/other inmates?

Completing the BOP Visitor form and LO said that his counselor said to send a copy of driver's license AND Social Security card. Anyone have to do this? Seems a little strange, but.... whatever it takes to get approved. Also does anyone know why they BOP wants information about whether I correspond with another inmate? I answered yes because I currently write two of my loved one's former county cellies, just short letters, words of encouragement, a couple of books, etc. Would this mean I won't be approved for visitation? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,926 Times in 12,664 Posts

Each prison makes their own visitation decisions, but I never heard that either writing, or even being on another inmate's approved visitor's list would cause the applicant to be denied.

My guess is the social security card is the bop's way to find out if you are a US citizen, given the current political climate.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM

Thanks! Because my LO (brother) is over 2000 miles away, I am likely to be his only visitor (ever). I would be devastated if they did not approve me for something like occasionally writing his two former cellies who were young guys with no family support and now call me their "sissy." Crossing fingers. Maybe I just worry too much!
The Following User Says Thank You to DKD For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,926 Times in 12,664 Posts

If your first application does get denied, appeal to the warden. There is no general bop rule that would block you from visiting him.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:56 PM

Thanked 1,592 Times in 802 Posts

No, did not have to provide a copy of my license of social security card, except when visiting I did need to provide my license.

As for the social security number and passport number, that is on the application for visitor form and my brother and his fiance were filling out the forms to be added to my husband's visiting list and they didn't want the BOP/prison to have their social security or passport number so they left it blank. They were both approved without issue. So it is obviously not something that is required. There is a box you check off saying if you are a US citizen or not. If you check that you are when you are not, you are committing perjury and are subject to fine and/or imprisonment, so only complete morons would take that risk.

Obviously it's just their procedure, but an annoying at that as you will see and hear, there are way too many to count!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
DKD (02-25-2019), fbopnomore (02-25-2019), His_Queen13 (03-03-2019)