Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:29 PM

Default Are magazine subscriptions allowed in Federal prison?

My son just self surrendered to Elkton and we were thinking he would enjoy a magazine subscription. He is a bit of a motor head so something like Hot Rod Magazine, Popular Mechanics or Road Kill. We are just not sure if this can be done. Anyone set up a magazine subscription of their loved one?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Hell View Post
My son just self surrendered to Elkton and we were thinking he would enjoy a magazine subscription. He is a bit of a motor head so something like Hot Rod Magazine, Popular Mechanics or Road Kill. We are just not sure if this can be done. Anyone set up a magazine subscription of their loved one?
Go on amazon you can send magazines paperbacks and wordsearch. You pay for it, it gets directly to him.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,879 Times in 12,634 Posts

Any magazines the bop restricts will be rejected. Only they know what magazines that includes, but anything that deals at all with weapons, or prisons will be declined.

The only way to find out is to send the magazine subscription, and see what happens.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 PM

Most magazines come through. Anything dealing with weapons or nudity is banned. His best bet is to ask about to the other inmates and see what makes it through the local sensors. But car magazines should not be a problem at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 07:45 PM

I send Magazines to my son in Federal, some I just pay for from the publisher, some through Amazon, and My Delta Miles also works. I’ve sent him TV Guide, People, Sports Illustrated, (they won’t let them have the swim suit edition), and a few more that I don’t remember off hand, I’ve never had a problem at all

OWL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-28-2019), Sidebiotch (03-23-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Elkton's mailroom can be picky. But I've seen guys get all kinds of magazines sent to them. You shouldn't have any problem with auto magazines though. The inmate can't place the magazine order, but you can order it for him and send it to him with his Reg # and housing unit in the address and it should get to him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fockwulf For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-28-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Yes go on amazon and you can send him paperback, puzzle books
Old 03-23-2019, 05:53 AM

I'm new to this so take everything I say with a grain of salt-
My loved one is in ft Dix NJ and hasn't received any of the subscription yet but they should begin to arrive soon. His counselor said pretty much the same thing that everyone here said- no nude pics, no weapons, no bombs and violence but regular magazines like cars, motorbikes, gardening, cooking, fishing will be allowed.
I went on Amazon because it was easiest for me but good counselor said you can call the magazine directly to order for your loved one
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidebiotch For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-23-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,816 Times in 4,496 Posts

You can get some magazine subscriptions for free by doing surveys and building up points. One survey is usually enough for one magazine subscription.

www.rewardsurvey.com

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (03-25-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 AM

Thanked 1,590 Times in 801 Posts

Yes they can get newspaper and magazine subscriptions. My husband received The NY Times and Barrons and on occasion I sent him other football magazines. He said a lot of guys got magazines and like someone else said Sports Illustrated came through to guys except the swimsuit issue.