Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:43 PM

Default If Arizona inmate goes to school do they get out 77 days early?

Does anyone know in AZ if an inmate goes to school do they get out 77 days early for tr?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2019, 11:58 PM
here

I can't quote a policy that says no, but no. There is no early release incentives in Arizona. You serve 100% of the time, or you serve at least 85%, as long as you don't "mess up" while incarcerated.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:12 PM

Sylph is right, but going to school is very positive. It’s a great way to pass time and invest in oneself.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:20 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,669 Times in 637 Posts

My son earned 32 plus college credits while serving in AZ. It did not reduce his 85% required time to serve.

The AZ DOC website rules along with some posts in prisontalk explain how calculations are done and there are some days taken off, but I can't say I ever understood it or examined it too carefully.

As everyone else said, school does not reduce time.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:55 AM

The 77 days you are referring to is the "TR" or Temporary Release. You serve 85% less 77 days. There is also another early release of 90 days for SB1291. I had a 5 year sentence and served 3 yrs 10 months.

I think everyone gets a TR but if you're being released on probation, there are times where you won't get it. I can't remember exactly why. Schooling while incarcerated is a fantastic way to better yourself, it doesn't help getting released early.

Hope this helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to free_in_az For This Useful Post:
BoosBabie3153 (03-04-2019), patchouli (03-04-2019), SadSurprised (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 01:37 PM

If an inmate does not pass the 8th grade mandate when he gets classified in alhambra, he will have to take education classes on the yard, and eventually pass. If he fails to pass he is not eligible for his TR kick out. outside of that, there is no benefit in terms of early release for obtaining their GED or college credits.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:37 PM

Default TR stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_in_az View Post
The 77 days you are referring to is the "TR" or Temporary Release. You serve 85% less 77 days. There is also another early release of 90 days for SB1291. I had a 5 year sentence and served 3 yrs 10 months.

I think everyone gets a TR but if you're being released on probation, there are times where you won't get it. I can't remember exactly why. Schooling while incarcerated is a fantastic way to better yourself, it doesn't help getting released early.

Hope this helps.

My LO's DOC page says "TR Ineligible" so I am assuming he will not get the 77 days? He will not have probation...when he's done he's done because he recommitted but just wondering if that TR Ineligible can change with good behavior? I thought I saw that someplace. Also do you know how they figure the time out? thank you in advance for any info!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:01 PM

https://corrections.az.gov/release-types

Maybe reading through this and reading the statutory language will assist you?
The Following User Says Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
BoosBabie3153 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 01:03 PM

For sentencing information, start with the statute he was convicted under then read it. See if there is a sentence range.
The Following User Says Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
BoosBabie3153 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosBabie3153 View Post
My LO's DOC page says "TR Ineligible" so I am assuming he will not get the 77 days? He will not have probation...when he's done he's done because he recommitted but just wondering if that TR Ineligible can change with good behavior? I thought I saw that someplace. Also do you know how they figure the time out? thank you in advance for any info!

His paperwork has his release date. If his sentence is 85% time, the release date reflects that. If his sentence is 100% time, his release date reflects that too. The date on his paperwork is the date he gets out. If hes TR ineligible, then he already knows when hes getting out the date on his paperwork. Every inmate has that date memorized.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalwaysreal View Post
Does anyone know in AZ if an inmate goes to school do they get out 77 days early for tr?
If he gets a program, that's where those 77 days are for but really it could be anywhere up to 90 days tops, but I've never seen anyone get the full 90 days. He can get a program as long as his offense isn't violent like aggravated assault or flat time for certain drug charges or DUI's. If he's in for burglary, drugs (as long as he wasn't sentenced to flat time), or white collar crimes like fraud, he might be able to get a program but he can't have any tickets and has to have passed the mandatory 8th grade exam. I worked in education for mandatory and GED so I know this to be true. I do not have a clue as to how they calculate them. He should have a date though, actually 3, if he's going out on parole.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:25 PM

The 77 days is the 90...77 days is 85% of 90 days. I didn't learn that until I was close to being released.
The Following User Says Thank You to free_in_az For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (04-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,669 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadavera View Post
If he gets a program, that's where those 77 days are for but really it could be anywhere up to 90 days tops, but I've never seen anyone get the full 90 days. He can get a program as long as his offense isn't violent like aggravated assault or flat time for certain drug charges or DUI's. If he's in for burglary, drugs (as long as he wasn't sentenced to flat time), or white collar crimes like fraud, he might be able to get a program but he can't have any tickets and has to have passed the mandatory 8th grade exam. I worked in education for mandatory and GED so I know this to be true. I do not have a clue as to how they calculate them. He should have a date though, actually 3, if he's going out on parole.
What do you mean by "if he gets a program"?. My son was convicted of aggravated assault and he took community college classes - a free one each semester. He had to apply for the financial aid and for the college. A year ago they changed the rules to if they had less than 5 years left, they were only allowed to complete a business certificate program through the college, which allowed for him to take more than one class at a time, but once the requirements for the certificate was completed they were no longer entitled to take additional college classes for free.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:51 PM

My daughter immediately got 90 days off of the 85% for passing the mandatory 8th grade exam. IDK if they get any extra time off for no tickets, excellent work history, or completing programs while in there.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms462001 View Post
My daughter immediately got 90 days off of the 85% for passing the mandatory 8th grade exam. IDK if they get any extra time off for no tickets, excellent work history, or completing programs while in there.
Yeah they are eligible for the 90 Day senate bill IF they pass their 8th grade literacy tests