Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,580 Times in 611 Posts
Default Question for those who have experienced their LO being released

My son's release date is this summer from Tucson Whetstone. Hoping for advice from those who have experience with this -

1) Any idea what time of day they do this or does it vary according to the prison? Is there an assigned time or do I show up early and wait until they get around to it?

2) Do I bring the clothes that day or a week or two in advance?

3) He has to report to the parole officer within 24 hours. His release date is a Friday. Should I call the parole officer and advise them it's a Friday? (we can get there in time if release is in the morning, but not if it's afternoon.)

4) Anything I should know that will make the process smooth or my son more comfortable?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2019, 02:46 PM

My brother in law got released from Lewis but got taken to Mexico on a bus.

All I know is he got "released" around 10. Not sure if its all the same though.

Hope you find out! & congrats I hope the rest o your guys journey goes well!
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (04-07-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:19 AM

How did your release experience go?
I got some time to go but I'm still curious.
Old Today, 02:29 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,580 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoluv29 View Post
How did your release experience go?
I got some time to go but I'm still curious.
He was released from Tucson-Whetstone. In a thread under a topic For Offenders - Now that Your Loved One is Home. I posts a detailed account. I had posted it elsewhere and moderators decided it belonged in that thread.

The major points are - my son decided not to have me send clothes ahead of time, because of the hassle involved. The prison, at no charge, give them "prions blues", which were cheap jeans and cheap t-shirt (blue) that were too big for him. He stripped out of those and put on the shorts and shirt I had brought with me.

We showed up first thing in the morning. Went to the trailer as advised, stated I was there to pick him up and he was scheduled for release. They called the unit he was in. Then simply wait in the parking lot until they brought him. It was several hours waiting. Of course, they finally brought him when we had left to go use a bathroom at a gas station down the road. A guard called my cell saying they were in the parking lot and couldn't find us. I told him we would be back there in 5 minutes. When I got back to the parking lot, he waived at the guard and put his boxes of stuff in the trunk.

I think the guard stays with them until they see they are being picked up, because they don't want released inmates hanging around. My understanding is if no one is there to pick them up, then eventually they take those new releases to the local bus station. When he is taken from the unit to the main offices of the complex, they gave him his state ID (or DL) which they helped him apply for about 6 weeks before release date; and they give him a bank card with the balance of his account on it. It works like a debit card (no fee) but since I had kept his local bank account open, to prevent any screwups by DOC, he immediately had the bank transfer the balance to his checking account when we got home.

There was no exit packet that told him what we needed to do. Mostly, he obtained info from inmates who had been through the process before. I got him to finally ask the CO3 about how do I get clothes to him and that is how he learned about the prison blues. Clothes in advance has to be at least a month before, mailed in to the prison, inspected by property --- which is why when they told him if he didn't have any they would provide the "bllues" he chose to go that route. Also, because anything he took out has to also be inspected by the head property clerk, he decided to give most things away (not keeping certain books was disappointing to me).

If you have any specific questions about the process, please ask. I will provide any info I have. Going through this process, the lack of specific directions was frustrating.