Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 08-29-2016, 11:36 PM

Default Visitation Denied

Hi all -- I've looked through these forums a couple times, but never posted. I'm gonna try to make this short, but could really use some insight or advice.

My best friend has been locked up for 9 months, gone through several facilities and has finally landed at Oshkosh. I put in a visitor's request and was surprised to find out today that I was denied. I have absolutely no criminal background, am not part of any of his crimes and am the only support he has left. I am constantly helping him through his depressed days, trying to keep him on track to get back in school, helping him make plans for counseling after he's out and I'm even his financial and healthcare POA. The reason for denial was that I "may be a hindrance to his reintegration."

I'm thinking this probably has something to do with the victim (his ex) hating me and filling his probation officer's head full of crap (she's super manipulative).

I feel completely defeated. I've been looking online and I guess I can write the warden -- but what do I write? Do I contact his PO first? Has anyone ever had contact with the warden at Oshkosh? How will this affect his ability to live with me/see me after he's released?

Really, at this point, I'll take any comments or help you have. Much appreciated in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2016, 11:08 AM

There will be a paper trail of the denial. His counselor should have it, or have access to it. On the letter of denial it should say who was the objector to visitation, and often will have why. once you know who and why, you can address it with them.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:32 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,814 Times in 16,051 Posts

I've never heard of a prison contacting a PO over a visitation application Doesn't mean it couldn't happen I suppose, but I've never heard of it. Are you sure you aren't listed on his PSI in some regard having to do with victim?

I'd write the Warden and request a reconsideration of the visitation denial, giving all the reasons why your visitation should be approved (ex: the reasons you list in your post).

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-31-2017), priceam (09-14-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 02:59 PM

I've never heard of them contacting a PO regarding a visitor application. Is it possible that you are listed on some other record that may be part of his file - like his PSI as was mentioned in another reply?

Has your friend made any inquiries with the person that processes the approvals at OshKosh or his social worker to determine the specific reason you were denied?

You can also follow up with the warden regarding your denial and let them know all of the things that you have been doing to help your friend and what you plan on doing going forward.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to onestepcloser For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 PM

When he talked to his social worker a couple weeks back, she said it was common for the probation officer to have a say in his visitors.

He was on probation and committed a crime, so his probation was revoked and he was sentenced to prison. I don't know if that helps things make more sense.

I don't know what a PSI is -- I tried to Google it and got "Pounds per square inch" -- I don't think that's what you're talking about.

But as for me being part of the crime -- no I was absolutely not part of any of it. It was a domestic incident with his girlfriend. I was no where near the incident, didn't take part in it and it wasn't about me. Him and I have never even had more than a disagreement.

And I have absolutely nothing on my background except for a parking ticket back in 2003.

I'm waiting for my denial paperwork right now so I can see exactly what the denial was about. I feel I can more directly address the situation that way. I appreciate all of your support, thoughts, comments, etc. I'm kind of lost in this situation and starting to feel extremely defeated.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:11 PM

Now it makes more sense why his PO would have been involved in the approval process.

A PSI is a pre-sentencing investigation - it is investigation into the history of the person to determine if there is anything that should be considered during sentencing.

Hopefully you can get the denial paperwork soon and can begin the process of writing an appeal. I am sure the waiting is frustrating. Hang in there. Let us know how things go.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 AM

I dont have any old paperwork, but i had a visitor denial. And it was the PO who noted the objection. Granted, that was in 2009 and things inside the DOC evolve rapidly, so guidelines could be different. The reason my advice is to find out who the denial was from is so you can go to that source. If the warden was not who denied it, the chances of them getting involved is slim. As a warden they get hundreds of letters and communications of things people would like them to address. In my opinion, the bulk of these go right into a recycling bin. If it was in fact the warden, then that is who you speak to. If he has a " treatment need" , then that facilitator would also weigh in.
Based on what you have said, I assume they will have him complete DV. If thats the case, someone could have just assumed you were the other party in the case, rather than actually read his file. best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to cm76 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-31-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 12:00 PM

Sorry you are going thru this. I am too. I was just informed I was suspended for 1 year and now I got another letter in mail a few days letter stating I've been removed from his visiting list. Not sure what I can do!!!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Every action of the DOC has an appeal process. They do not make the process easily accessible for those on the outside. If you have been denied, as i stated above you need to find out who and why. then you can try for resolution.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,814 Times in 16,051 Posts

musikluver2003, rather than having to do with the actual crime, it could have more to do with the violation. Did you live together at the time of the violation?? Did the violation have anything to do with you?

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (10-31-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:44 PM

This whole thread sounds EXACTLY what I'm going thru with my fiancé right now. I just submitted my visitor paperwork last week (he's at Redgranite), he asked the social worker there on Friday where I was in the visitor approval process and she said she needed to email his PO because he is in prison on a probation violation involving a domestic violence allegation...an allegation, no charges. I was able to visit him in county jail back in May and June but now I'm very concerned I won't be approved to visit him in prison. I have a spotless record, not even a speeding ticket. I didn't even know him when the alleged allegation occurred with his ex, so I clearly wasn't involved in the incident in question. All of his family lives out of state, if I'm not approved, he won't get any visitors at all. The social worker at the prison has lead my fiancé to believe that she would approve my visitor request as long as his PO is okay with it. I'm so worried, I miss my man so much, I haven't seen him since June. Any advice, tips, insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschmit0520 View Post
This whole thread sounds EXACTLY what I'm going thru with my fiancé right now. I just submitted my visitor paperwork last week (he's at Redgranite), he asked the social worker there on Friday where I was in the visitor approval process and she said she needed to email his PO because he is in prison on a probation violation involving a domestic violence allegation...an allegation, no charges. I was able to visit him in county jail back in May and June but now I'm very concerned I won't be approved to visit him in prison. I have a spotless record, not even a speeding ticket. I didn't even know him when the alleged allegation occurred with his ex, so I clearly wasn't involved in the incident in question. All of his family lives out of state, if I'm not approved, he won't get any visitors at all. The social worker at the prison has lead my fiancé to believe that she would approve my visitor request as long as his PO is okay with it. I'm so worried, I miss my man so much, I haven't seen him since June. Any advice, tips, insight would be greatly appreciated.
If you weren't involved in the violation then chances are you should be approved for visits. Since his incarceration is due to a probation violation related to domestic violence, the DOC is required to check with his PO for approval. Should you be denied you can appeal it. Fingers crossed that you are approved and see your fiance soon!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcloser View Post
If you weren't involved in the violation then chances are you should be approved for visits. Since his incarceration is due to a probation violation related to domestic violence, the DOC is required to check with his PO for approval. Should you be denied you can appeal it. Fingers crossed that you are approved and see your fiance soon!
I got approved to visit yesterday!! I'm going to go visit for the first time tomorrow evening, we are sooo excited!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I got approved to visit yesterday!! I'm going to go visit for the first time tomorrow evening, we are sooo excited!
That's GREAT NEWS!!! Enjoy your visit! Be sure to check out the facility page to verify what is allowed for clothing, money, etc... You want to breeze through security so you can get on with your visit! There is nothing like that first visit!
The Following User Says Thank You to onestepcloser For This Useful Post:
aschmit0520 (11-02-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Donation Award 

Congratulation, have a great visit !
The Following User Says Thank You to mauri23 For This Useful Post:
aschmit0520 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
How was your visit? I know you have been waiting so long!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisreallife View Post
How was your visit? I know you have been waiting so long!
Our visit was wonderful, thank you for asking! The corrections officers were all very nice and helpful. The environment was a little intimidating, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I was able to stay 2 1/2 hours. We sat and talked, the conversation was awesome. We could have sat there talking together all day. It was sooo nice to be able to share hugs and kisses! The time flew by so fast! I am going to go again this weekend, I live only 45 minutes away so the drive isn't bad at all. It made me so happy to see him and to see him smile. We've talked today and we both said we can't stop smiling today, and that's a great thing and feeling!
The Following User Says Thank You to aschmit0520 For This Useful Post:
Sloth70 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikluver2003 View Post
Hi all -- I've looked through these forums a couple times, but never posted. I'm gonna try to make this short, but could really use some insight or advice.

My best friend has been locked up for 9 months, gone through several facilities and has finally landed at Oshkosh. I put in a visitor's request and was surprised to find out today that I was denied. I have absolutely no criminal background, am not part of any of his crimes and am the only support he has left. I am constantly helping him through his depressed days, trying to keep him on track to get back in school, helping him make plans for counseling after he's out and I'm even his financial and healthcare POA. The reason for denial was that I "may be a hindrance to his reintegration."

I'm thinking this probably has something to do with the victim (his ex) hating me and filling his probation officer's head full of crap (she's super manipulative).

I feel completely defeated. I've been looking online and I guess I can write the warden -- but what do I write? Do I contact his PO first? Has anyone ever had contact with the warden at Oshkosh? How will this affect his ability to live with me/see me after he's released?

Really, at this point, I'll take any comments or help you have. Much appreciated in advance.
I’m curious did you ever get approved as I am going through the same thing
Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,742 Times in 3,043 Posts

Quote:
I’m curious did you ever get approved as I am going through the same thing
Hi Boopsy69,

At the top left of each post is the posting date of each post. The post you quoted was from 2016, and the original poster (OP) only posted these two posts, so I doubt she'll be back to answer your question. (This is just for information for you, you didn't do anything wrong)

You might want to read through the rest of the replies and see if anything there is helpful. If you weren't a victim or part of the crime, you should be able to appeal it once you get the paperwork saying why you were denied. You'll want to appeal it to the function that denied visitation. I'm guessing that the denial paperwork will have a section on "if you want to appeal this ruling..." though I'm not positive about that.

Good luck to you! Appealing is going to be an uphill battle - patience and professional stubbornness will help you a lot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Boopsy69 (03-31-2019), patchouli (03-30-2019), sidewalker (03-25-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikluver2003 View Post

This sounds odd. You can call his social worker and try to get more clarity on this. They may just give you some run around bs though. The only reason I can think of for this is that if he was convicted of a sex offense and you two were ever in a sexual relationship. (stabbing in the dark here). Still, that alone won't be enough to deny you. If this is the case, you may also have issues living together. Anyway, contact his social worker and try to be a little forceful in seeking your answers. After that, maybe try the Security Director, then the Warden. Just remember, you pay taxes to employ these people so act they they work for you.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:48 PM

sorry all....old post...should have looked at that before replying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to formerwisinmate For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-30-2019), patchouli (03-30-2019)