Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Connecticut Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:01 PM

Default DUI sentencing..

I realize this is a common question on here but they are so spaced out and the laws change so often that it hard to keep up. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with DUI convictions after the 2011 home confinement law came into play.

I have a third DUI being charged as a second offense so I was wondering how does the 120 day mandatory minimum and home confinement play into this? I've heard of people out in 2-10 days and people who do their entire suspended time... So hard to try and plan for this when you don't even know... I was able to grab a loan in anticipation for this but that will run dry in about 6 months, anything less than that is a blessing. I've done a lot of stuff leading up to this, counseling, 100+ days of alcohol bracelet and lots of AA. Do the counselors inside the DOC take these into account?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchamb View Post
I realize this is a common question on here but they are so spaced out and the laws change so often that it hard to keep up. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with DUI convictions after the 2011 home confinement law came into play.

I have a third DUI being charged as a second offense so I was wondering how does the 120 day mandatory minimum and home confinement play into this? I've heard of people out in 2-10 days and people who do their entire suspended time... So hard to try and plan for this when you don't even know... I was able to grab a loan in anticipation for this but that will run dry in about 6 months, anything less than that is a blessing. I've done a lot of stuff leading up to this, counseling, 100+ days of alcohol bracelet and lots of AA. Do the counselors inside the DOC take these into account?
Hi pchamb,

You posted this quite a long time ago, so I'm hoping you might get an email notification about this and can help me out with the very same question from your experience!

My wife recently went into York CI on similar circumstances- 3rd DUI but was charged as a 2nd. She got the 120 day mandatory minimum sentence. Our attorney told us it was almost a certainty that she would be out in no more than 60 days, and could get out earlier than that so long as she behaves and whatnot.

She went in on Monday, and finally managed to get a call to me on Wednesday- she was hysterical. Her intake counselor or whatever it is apparently told her there was little chance she'd be out in less than 120. When I called the attorney he said it sounds like the person she talked to was either ill-qualified to make that statement, or that my wife was just emotionally fried and misunderstood.

So, if you don't mind me asking- how long did you actually serve in the prison? If you were released prior to 120 days, what were the terms of release (i.e. ankle bracelet until the end of 120 days, living with a "sponsor"?)

We've got 2 small kids and barely making ends meet as it is. We planned for 60 days based on the lawyer's advice, but if it's actually going to be 120 days then I'm looking at most likely losing my job, our house, the whole 9 yards.. Needless to say I'm pretty scared at the moment..

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:41 PM

I can't speak for how it is now as it has been a while, my experience was that my lawyer didn't know much about the program and told me to expect to do 120 days. When I finally got to Willard-Cybulski no staff member mentioned being out before the MM time of 120 either, It's almost a forbidden topic though most of the other inmatese there all were "110% sure" that DUI's are moved out quickly.

What I had gathered from the counselor there was that it all depends on where you're at in your "treatment" basically. You'll get assigned to a course level that you have to complete, the course I had to do was Tier 2 and took 30 days to complete. It took me 2 weeks to get up to that jail from Bridgeport, then 2 weeks to get into the class bringing me to just about 60 days on the nose. In the end I spent 61 days total, I would have been out one earlier but it fell on one of the days they don't do transfers.

They slap a GPS bracelet on you for the remaining mandatory time that you're actually out and they are a pain in the ass to deal with but my PO was really understanding that the devices just don't always work. I started out with weekly check-ins but because I was working/doing what I was supposed to they stopped needing to see me until it was time to cut the thing off.

If you have any other questions or whatever feel free to shoot me a PM as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to pchamb For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-16-2019)