Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,645 Times in 13,031 Posts

The new first step act programs haven't been decided yet by the bop, especially the part about additional time off. Your prison sentence computation will start on the day 13 or so months before you actually arrive in bop custody since you are entitled to day for day credit for the time you were in pretrial detention for the charges you were eventually sentenced for. Make sure that time is considered by the sentence computation folks. You will then receive 122 days of regular good time (nearly 4 months) so combined that should reduce your time left to serve to about 10 months.

If the bop wanted to, the entire remaining time could be served in a half way house, but I doubt that you will receive anywhere close to that, if you get any at all. Ask your unit team at your initial meeting. RDAP is longer than your remaining sentence, so there is no chance that will happen.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 05-02-2019 at 02:11 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2019, 04:42 AM

Hey that's great news I appreciate you replying to my thread. 10 months is with me and my fiance we're thinking somewhere between 10 to 13 months. I know I can't be mad there's a lot of people in the lot worse situations than I am. 13 months will go fast. I do have one more question for you though do you know anything about camps and lows. I hear as far as prisons go they're not that bad. And without me having any kind of violence or pretty much no prior criminal history I'm pretty sure I will go to a camp.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Minimum security camps are the best possible situation in the bop. FCI lows have more rules, but either prison will be doable. Here's the custody score program statement that contains the form that will determine yours. Being allowed to self surrender lowers the score.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5100_008.pdf
Old 05-02-2019, 10:11 PM

Yeah I got a self-surrender next Wednesday at 2 p.m. so I get three more points taken off.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:33 PM

Thanked 1,620 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdre520 View Post
Yeah I got a self-surrender next Wednesday at 2 p.m. so I get three more points taken off.
Usually from the date of sentencing until your surrender date is 3 months. I'm confused how it is that you were only sentenced on May 1, yet you already know you're self surrendering and where you are going next Wednesday? The 3 points off comes with a plea agreement, you don't get an additional 3 points off after the fact, it was taken into consideration with your sentence of the 27 months. Also as far as your question regarding the amount of hwh time you would receive, I believe it is only up to 10% of your sentence which is a max of 2.7 months. By the time anything in the First Step Act is implemented, you may very well be out anyway, due to your prior time served.

You definitely want to go to camp over a low. 100%. More shit happens at a low. And you definitely want a free standing camp over one that is a satellite camp.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Usually from the date of sentencing until your surrender date is 3 months. I'm confused how it is that you were only sentenced on May 1, yet you already know you're self surrendering and where you are going next Wednesday? The 3 points off comes with a plea agreement, you don't get an additional 3 points off after the fact, it was taken into consideration with your sentence of the 27 months. Also as far as your question regarding the amount of hwh time you would receive, I believe it is only up to 10% of your sentence which is a max of 2.7 months. By the time anything in the First Step Act is implemented, you may very well be out anyway, due to your prior time served.

You definitely want to go to camp over a low. 100%. More shit happens at a low. And you definitely want a free standing camp over one that is a satellite camp.

Maybe he was sentenced to surrender to the US Marshal? One thing too..I was sentenced on August 26 and got my designation on September 1. They can move quick..sometimes.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 AM

My husband was sentenced on March 10th and ordered by the judge to self-surrender on April 10th. At that point we didn't no where he was to self-surrender, only when. We received his location about two weeks later.
The Following User Says Thank You to edb00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Thanked 1,620 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
Maybe he was sentenced to surrender to the US Marshal? One thing too..I was sentenced on August 26 and got my designation on September 1. They can move quick..sometimes.
Isnít that the least ideal situation? To surrender to the Marshall as opposed to surrendering yourself to a facility because you wind up going from facility to facility in bad conditions? One of the men my husband was with traveled between 4 prisons before finally winding up at his final destination and he said it was awful. Had to stay at the MCC in Chicago which we all know is the pits, ride the prison bus where youíre expected to go to the bathroom in chains with no privacy while the bus is moving etc (yuck), minimal hygiene etc. not that prison is supposed to be fun but this sounds inhumane.

My husband was sentenced in Sept, picked his self surrender date of zdecsmner and then received notification in early November that he was going to where he requested on that date. I guess at the time we were fortunate it all worked out.

Very happy life is returning to normal. He has plans to go back to help with some educational things but canít until heís off supervised release which should be in September assuming all goes as planned but then again nothing ever seems to go as planned! A few more weeks and he can finally travel!!
Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

As long as the instructions they received were to report to a prison, not to the US Marshals, he avoided the "in transit" "diesel therapy" disaster. It may have been that the designation office did their job quickly enough to meet the judge's self surrender date.