Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

West Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in West Virginia that do not fit into any other West Virginia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:31 PM

Default Looking for former Moundsville inmates

Any former Moundsville inmates from 1973 - 84 registered here that knew an inmate nicknamed "Conneticut"? If so, I'd like to hear from you. He is my brother and I have information.

Last edited by moundsville; 06-15-2008 at 05:35 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO and the WV forum! Hope you hear from someone that knew your brother.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 PM

Vicki, thanks. Donald ask me to help him locate some people he lost contact with. This seems to be a forum where people he knew might be hanging out.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
His Soul mate. ..

Thanked 8,163 Times in 6,852 Posts

bEST WISHES FINDING PEOPLE!!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:36 PM

you might check with bonnie cause i think she told me her husband was in moundsville and he knows a lot about it and things so just ask bonnie to ask her husband

Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 PM

I will ask Norman when he calls Tomorrow. He spent Many years at Moundsville, and I knew some inmates at MOCC that were at Moundsville too. If Im not mistaken I think he was there between those dates. He was born in 1956 and turned 18 there so I don't konw what that would be.. yeah I do... 1974. He did a LOT of time there... Please PM me and I will get with you ok? My husband's name is Norman Rattliff, Jr. Ask Donald if he remembers him. I don't konw any nicnames he went by.

Take care
Bonnie Rattliff
Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I will ask Norman when he calls Tomorrow. He spent Many years at Moundsville, and I knew some inmates at MOCC that were at Moundsville too. If Im not mistaken I think he was there between those dates. He was born in 1956 and turned 18 there so I don't konw what that would be.. yeah I do... 1974. He did a LOT of time there... Please PM me and I will get with you ok? My husband's name is Norman Rattliff, Jr. Ask Donald if he remembers him. I don't konw any nicnames he went by.

Take care
Bonnie Rattliff
Hey Bonnie- Thank you for responding. The time frame fits, 70's were a brutal time in that place. Hard to imagine someone that young having to do time in there. My brother escaped three times from inside the walls. He and Johnny Verton were the ones who escaped from the Alamo (North Hall Seg) through a tunnel in 1979. Inbetween escapes, Donald spent much of his time running a bookie operation, mostly for bets on football games.

Searching through the DOC locator, I've found a few old timers but not many. Shorty Brewster, Ronald Williams, but that's about all the ones I recognized by name. I'm sure there are others. Also found James Worthington, one of Donald's escape partners, on the Federal Prison locator.

Anyway, Donald is doing time in Connecticut, and I live in San Francisco. So it takes a few weeks for us to pass information back and forth, but I will definitley pass the information about Ronald onto Donald. Thanks again.

PS: MY brother's full name is Donald Williamson.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM

cool... If you have any specifics you need to know feel free to ask... I will help any time I can. I asked him aobut some inmates the other day and he said he don't want to talk about any over the phone because people getting wrote up and set to lock up constantly for dumb stuff, a nd he doesn't want to be one of them.

I will ask him about your brother though.. take care...
Bonnie
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonnie For This Useful Post:
moundsville (06-30-2008)
Old 06-30-2008, 02:36 PM

Thanks again for offering to help. Donald use to maintain communications with many of his former co-inmates at Moundsville, but like WV, the CT penal system underwent extensive changes during the 90's resulting in a cut off of most of his communitcations. Things are a bit different now, and he's able to get letters to nearly anyone he wants to.

To date, I've found James Burkhammer died at ST. Mary's in 2001, Verton released sometime in the 90's, Bobby Jean Jarvis? no sign of him, Brewster at Huttonsville and recently back MOCC, Williams still fighting extradition to AZ. So, a little here and a little there, I've been gaining on it.

I've done some extensive research concerning Moundsville in the 70's, and took the tour through there a couple years ago. Creepy place. Also, I've many archived newspaper articles about the stuff that was going on in there including the 73 riot. If that stuff interest you, I can email them to you. Thanx again.
The Following User Says Thank You to moundsville For This Useful Post:
Bonnie (06-30-2008)
Old 06-30-2008, 05:48 PM

That would be awesome if you could email them to me. When I worked at Mount Olive Ron Williams was in SuperMax. He was staff only contact then. I never got to see him but asked about him once. I did not know he was fighting extradition to Az. I seen him on DOC website Ron Williams, he's so old now. Thirty Three years ago was his first crime.

I like to research moundsville too. Would love to find out what you have found out. I took a tour of Moundsville in in 1992 when the inmates were still there... It was a bad place even then in 1992. I would love to tour it now. Norman and I planned many times to go tour it. I told him he could narrarate it better than the tour guide and tell more stories than they could since he was there. He was in North Hall quite a bit too.

Norman told me he was there for TWO riots so he must have been there for the fist one and then one on new years eve I think. Is that right??? He won't talk about the riots much. He never has. I've asked him about them, but he just changes the subject. He's told me things that went on down in the Sugar Shack. There was a part of it called New Walls I think. Norman also told me about a group there called the Avengers. I would love to know more about them too.

Anyway, if you need me for anything I will help the best I can. Take care and PM me and I will be glad to talk more about the inmates I know, but don't feel comfortable posing their names on here.. I don't want to get any of them in trouble.

Bonnie
Old 07-13-2008, 02:50 PM

ladies i was on my visit this weekend to see brian and i have to tell you it was great but that's not what i am posting about i was standing out side the gate for the guards to come and get us well there was a stack of people waiting to get it how about that whating to get into prison anyway their was an older woman their visiting her boyfriend and she said that her husband has been in prison since 1977 no big deal right well he was at moundsville, well then the guards come and get us right so i didn't have a chance to talk with her again but i was talking to my husband and he was like yeah i know he's from moundsville and he knows alot of the ol cats
so do you all want me to get his name for you or not cause i forgot to ask him what his name was lol

Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 PM

I would love for you to get his name and Please PM it to me...some are funny about having thier name on the internet, so please ask if that is ok to post their name and if not, PM me... Since this post has started, I have become VERY interested in the histpry of WVP, and would love to know more...

Thank you so much!!!

God Bless!!!
Bonnie

Galatians 2:20
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanked 1,054 Times in 877 Posts

welcome
Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 PM
snydersgirl

hey
i couldnt help but notice you all talking about moundsville
i dont know if anyone still would like anymore names of inmates
but i know my ex was in there
and by any chance at all i was just wondering if anyone could give me INFO on a guy by the name of " RED SNYDER "
i know he is dead now, he is my boyfriends father which he really didnt know much about him he to would like to know more about him so if anyone has any info would you please let me know
thanks alot

Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 AM

Hello, I'm a author/writer. I'm doing a story on Moundsville and looking for someone who would be willing to share some stories about their time there. We can include or exclude your name (your choice).

Kate

Last edited by kbear586; 07-01-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: typ-o
Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Super Duper Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 16,277 Times in 5,834 Posts

Media / Journalists & Students / Researchers
When a journalist or member of the media posts on the site - or students/researchers post on the site for research purposes - they are expected to explain the purpose of the request to the members and to encourage members to post their stories in the thread. Considering the fact that this is a prisoner-oriented site, any media stories evolving from PTO communication should be that of a positive nature. Requests with the intent of provoking derogatory comments about prisoners or corrections officers will not be tolerated. Inviting outside contact of PTO members is also not allowed. Persons in the media and students/researchers are also not allowed to send unsolicited emails and/or private messages to members of PTO. Posting a personal email address within the thread is also not allowed. It is not the responsibility of the PTO Administration or Staff to authenticate or verify any statement or facts purported by members of PTO. At the discretion of PTO Administration, any media-related post/request or research-related post/request may be removed from the site. This may be done without warning or prior notification. PTO does not endorse any media outlet, journalist, member of the media or media story/report, or any students/researchers or involved educational/research institution. However, any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members. Failure to follow these rules and policies will result in the request being immediately removed from the site and permanent banning of the media member(s) or students/researchers involved.

PTO Administrator
Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
WVwriter

Default Whitegate Cemetery

Hi to Moundsville,
I'm new to this forum, but recognized a name in your post. I'm writing a book about Whitegate Cemetery which is in Moundsville and is a burial place for inmates who were not claimed by their families for whatever reason. James Burkhammer is buried there. He died on May 7, 2001 and is one of the last inmates to be buried at Whitegate.
You also said that you had newspaper articles and such. I would greatly appreciate it if you would email them to me.
My book is coming from a unique perspective. Two of my brothers served time in Mdsv. during the 1970s and 1980s. Jim Mason and Joe Mason. Jim died in 1995 and Joe was released in 1989 and is doing well except for the nightmares he has from time to time. I wasn't there except to visit and I have nightmares too. What a place.
I'm also interested in any info anyone may have on Wm "Red" Snyder. I remember Joe talking about him alot. But I don't like to ask Joe questions if I don't have to.
Thanks for listening, Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by moundsville View Post
Thanks again for offering to help. Donald use to maintain communications with many of his former co-inmates at Moundsville, but like WV, the CT penal system underwent extensive changes during the 90's resulting in a cut off of most of his communitcations. Things are a bit different now, and he's able to get letters to nearly anyone he wants to.

To date, I've found James Burkhammer died at ST. Mary's in 2001, Verton released sometime in the 90's, Bobby Jean Jarvis? no sign of him, Brewster at Huttonsville and recently back MOCC, Williams still fighting extradition to AZ. So, a little here and a little there, I've been gaining on it.

I've done some extensive research concerning Moundsville in the 70's, and took the tour through there a couple years ago. Creepy place. Also, I've many archived newspaper articles about the stuff that was going on in there including the 73 riot. If that stuff interest you, I can email them to you. Thanx again.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Donation Award 

Hi WVwriter!

The member you are responding to has not been on PTO since June 2008. Maybe if you check their profile they may have an email address listed that you could use to contact them.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:42 AM
kebo 1978-83 moundsville

Default kebo former inamte

hey Im from moundsville I was there from 1979-90 I know many of the names I have reaqd here on the other post many new me as kebo or big Keith
Old 10-15-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVwriter View Post
Hi to Moundsville,
I'm new to this forum, but recognized a name in your post. I'm writing a book about Whitegate Cemetery which is in Moundsville and is a burial place for inmates who were not claimed by their families for whatever reason. James Burkhammer is buried there. He died on May 7, 2001 and is one of the last inmates to be buried at Whitegate.
You also said that you had newspaper articles and such. I would greatly appreciate it if you would email them to me.
My book is coming from a unique perspective. Two of my brothers served time in Mdsv. during the 1970s and 1980s. Jim Mason and Joe Mason. Jim died in 1995 and Joe was released in 1989 and is doing well except for the nightmares he has from time to time. I wasn't there except to visit and I have nightmares too. What a place.
I'm also interested in any info anyone may have on Wm "Red" Snyder. I remember Joe talking about him alot. But I don't like to ask Joe questions if I don't have to.
Donna, Thanks for your interest. I've been off this forum for a few years, but for one reason or another accidently came across it tonight. The thread wasn't generating much interest so I sort of dropped it. Since my last visit, I see some new stuff was posted on it. Lets see where it goes now. I've visited Whitegate a few times, and am aware of Burkhammer's demise. He was sentenced to the chair in 1957 for the murder of an 11 year old girl. Gov Underwood communted his death sentence to life in 1958. Three times he came within days of execution. His mother was his only known relative and she visited him frequently until she died sometime in the 80's. Let me know what email address to send the articles to and I'll get them to you as soon as I have it.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebo1978-83 View Post
hey Im from moundsville I was there from 1979-90 I know many of the names I have reaqd here on the other post many new me as kebo or big Keith
Hey Kebo...

In 1979, my brother, Donald Williamson, and and a guy named Verton escaped from the Alamo via a tunnel. After he was captured and returned to Moundsville, he served out the remainder of his time confined to the Alamo. He was released to CT authorities in 1984. My guess is you probably didn't cross paths with him unless you did some time in north hall.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 AM

Default have some info

I have some info about him. what would you like to know and i wasnt aware that he had a son so thats new info for me....whats his name??? email me at PM me --email addy removed per PTO policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvgirl74 View Post
hey
i couldnt help but notice you all talking about moundsville
i dont know if anyone still would like anymore names of inmates
but i know my ex was in there
and by any chance at all i was just wondering if anyone could give me INFO on a guy by the name of " RED SNYDER "
i know he is dead now, he is my boyfriends father which he really didnt know much about him he to would like to know more about him so if anyone has any info would you please let me know
thanks alot

Last edited by Momma Ann; 11-15-2010 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: remove personal email
Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Default articles

I was wondering if you can send me any articles or information you may have of Red Snyder also. email me for the address PM me-email addy removed per PTO policy.
Thanks

Quote:
Hi to Moundsville,

Last edited by Momma Ann; 11-15-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Default Red Snyder

Quote:
Hi to Moundsville,
I just came across your old post. I'm doing some family research and notice that you were looking for Red Snyder. He was my uncle. Do you have any information on him that you could share with me?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:37 AM

Default Inmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear586 View Post
hello, i'm a author/writer. I'm doing a story on moundsville and looking for someone who would be willing to share some stories about their time there. We can include or exclude your name (your choice).

Kate
i was a officer and a inmate in moundsville