Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Christina

Default What does n/a mean when listed for PED in Georgia?

My fiance is at dodge state prison and his PED date was Jan 5, 2018. A few days ago it changed from no decision, to N/A. Yesterday "Jan 19" he got called to his counselor to sign a paper saying he was denied parole but with no explanation and it was dated Dec 29, 2017 which was before his PED date even hit. His counselor is sure that it was just a automated/generated letter for the end of the year and since he hasn't hit his PED date they denied him them bc she had never seen that before. He has no priors, no right ups, nothing for them to deny him for. Can someone please give me a clear answer to what n/a actually means. I've read so many places and get different answers. TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2018, 04:12 PM

Thanked 5,983 Times in 3,114 Posts

Generally N/A means non applicable.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
patchouli (01-20-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmcconahay View Post
My fiance is at dodge state prison and his PED date was Jan 5, 2018. A few days ago it changed from no decision, to N/A. Yesterday "Jan 19" he got called to his counselor to sign a paper saying he was denied parole but with no explanation and it was dated Dec 29, 2017 which was before his PED date even hit. His counselor is sure that it was just a automated/generated letter for the end of the year and since he hasn't hit his PED date they denied him them bc she had never seen that before. He has no priors, no right ups, nothing for them to deny him for. Can someone please give me a clear answer to what n/a actually means. I've read so many places and get different answers. TIA
Hi Cmcconahay,
Your fiance had a PED of 1/5/2018. I'm assuming the Parole Board's online Inmate TPM Lookup had a status of "No Decision" until a few days ago. Then the online status changed to "N/A".

Ok, so "N/A" is typically the status given to someone who the Board has decided to serve out the rest of their sentence. If he has been given notification of the rejection then it's not a clerical error. The Board does not have to give their reasons for rejection, and things like letters from a judge or prosecutor can make all the difference.

I don't know how much longer his sentence is, but he will automatically get a new vote in 5 years. Hopefully someone can chime in and tell you if he can petition the Board before then for an early vote.

If he is less than two years, but more than a year away from his max out date, he should get his consular to tell him if he will be eligible to go to a Transition Center/work release. The TC application process takes time. Most people who might be eligible to go to a TC don't qualify because when their TPM is set they have less than a year left to serve.

I can't image how tough a blow this is to both of you. But please don't give up. Do what you can to encourage your fiance. His good record inside is key to getting better housing assignments, work details and being considered for a TC.

Hang in there.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:30 PM
Christina

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
Hi Cmcconahay,
Your fiance had a PED of 1/5/2018. I'm assuming the Parole Board's online Inmate TPM Lookup had a status of "No Decision" until a few days ago. Then the online status changed to "N/A".

Ok, so "N/A" is typically the status given to someone who the Board has decided to serve out the rest of their sentence. If he has been given notification of the rejection then it's not a clerical error. The Board does not have to give their reasons for rejection, and things like letters from a judge or prosecutor can make all the difference.

I don't know how much longer his sentence is, but he will automatically get a new vote in 5 years. Hopefully someone can chime in and tell you if he can petition the Board before then for an early vote.

If he is less than two years, but more than a year away from his max out date, he should get his consular to tell him if he will be eligible to go to a Transition Center/work release. The TC application process takes time. Most people who might be eligible to go to a TC don't qualify because when their TPM is set they have less than a year left to serve.

I can't image how tough a blow this is to both of you. But please don't give up. Do what you can to encourage your fiance. His good record inside is key to getting better housing assignments, work details and being considered for a TC.

Hang in there.
Have u been in the system or do u know someone who works for the parole board to know that for a fact. His counselors r sure that's it's a error. He sentenced to 2 years and when that letter of denial was post dated the board wasn't even working that week due to the holidays and
Old 01-23-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Have u been in the system or do u know someone who works for the parole board to know that for a fact. His counselors r sure that's it's a error. He sentenced to 2 years and when that letter of denial was post dated the board wasn't even working that week due to the holidays and
No, I don't know for an absolute fact. For your peace of mind keeping calling the Parole Board until someone gives a good answer.

I have been through this process with a loved one. I very much hope your fiance's counselors are right.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Christina

Thank u so much. It is def hard to deal with. The stress of the unknown. When I call the parole board number they aren't ever much help. It a like they only know very limited. I emailed the actual parole board yesterday morning like his counselors said so hoping for a response back tomorrow or the next day. Fingers crossed for sure!!! Thank u for your response though
The Following User Says Thank You to Cmcconahay For This Useful Post:
K6770 (01-24-2018)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:26 PM

I registeredjust to reply to this thread.

I’m currently in a TC. I have a 3 year sentence for level 8 burglary. If he is in for a level 8 he’ll probably serve 2/3 of the sentence. N/A means he was not given a TPM. But is eligible to receive one at a future date. If he is not eligible at all it will say “not eligible”.

Few questions. Is he PIC eligible? If so 3 months prior to his PIC date the parole board will review and decide if they are going to turn his PIC month into his TPM. If he is eligible have him apply for a 90 day early release.

Is his crime a level 8? If so it’s not out of the norm for them to not issue a TPM on a 2 year sentence if he is also PIC eligible. Because if they gave him a TPM and made him pic eligible, it would put his release below the 2/3 threshold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riddick3882 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-06-2019), Sarianna (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,711 Times in 3,035 Posts

Thank you for your reply and welcome to PTO, Riddick3882.

Take some time to poke around the whole site. There's forums for ex-offenders as well as the state forums and the family support forums and the general forums. We always appreciate people with solid information, and in return, we offer support and encouragement with no judgment.

Glad you found us.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 PM
One Day Closer

Could also mean not available.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Default PED

Quote:
Not to discourage you but you cannot go by that PED, it really means nothing in Ga. I and about everyone I know that was in would get a letter at or about the time of their PED saying 'due to the nature of your crime....incompatible to return to society...blah blah' Rule of thumb in Ga coming from someone thats seen it first hand, if your charge is non violent youre gonna do a little over a third of your time and you'll do more than that if your sentence is short. Ex. if you have six years on non violent, you'll prob do about 2.5 years but, if you only have say a two year sentence, youre likely to do most if not all of it. Doesnt make sense but its true. If you have a violent charge you will do 65-90% of the time period, dont believe anything you hear about PIC points this or that, if you are violent, you are gonna do 65-90 and thats if you arent on a mandatory minimum.
The Following User Says Thank You to ticketman For This Useful Post:
SBJOHNSON (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 06:11 PM

Not sure if this helps but my fiancée was given 2 years for VOP change of address; failure to notify. His PED is 6/2019 but they made a decision in 2/2019. His TPM is 9/2019. He’s been in since 9/2018. My question is do they ever let you out before your TPM?
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJOHNSON View Post
Not sure if this helps but my fiancée was given 2 years for VOP change of address; failure to notify. His PED is 6/2019 but they made a decision in 2/2019. His TPM is 9/2019. He’s been in since 9/2018. My question is do they ever let you out before your TPM?
Yes. Not sure where he’s at or if he’s eligible for a 90 day early release but I’d get him to ask his counselor
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddick3882 For This Useful Post:
SBJOHNSON (05-25-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
If a person has 2 years or less they cannot make parole *IF* you say he was sentenced to 2 years his not egilble for parole as the sentence is too short you can read this more on the parole guidelines(official website).
Old 06-07-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyfrommars View Post
If a person has 2 years or less they cannot make parole *IF* you say he was sentenced to 2 years his not egilble for parole as the sentence is too short you can read this more on the parole guidelines(official website).

Hi,

I am not sure where you received that information but it is incorrect. My LO got 2 years. He entered County on 9/15/2018 and transferred to prison in 11/2018. His ped was 6/15/2019 but they reviewed him in February of this year. His tpm was set for 9/30/2019. So he is eligible and scheduled to leave in September with his 2 years sentence.

Hope that helps the lady above who asked the question. You can parole on a 2 year or less sentence.