Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Georgia should be posted here.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 AM

Default HELP: What to expect? How does parole work?

Hi, all,

My man is currently away for Aggravated Assault and Burglary, this is his first offense. His background was clean until this. The first time he was served he did 1 year in the county and bonded out, went back to court in Nov 2018 now he is at Correctional Institute. He been doing mobile detail since he left from Jackson. He was given seven years in prison with five years on probation. He goes up in front of the PB April 2020 for his decision date. However, I am sure curious to know will he have to do the entire 7? Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 05:30 PM

Thanked 1,817 Times in 728 Posts

He will probably have to serve a third of his sentence before being eligible. If he is released early from serving the 7 years then he'll be on parole supervision for the rest of the 7 years & then go onto probation for the remaining sentence. That is the tricky part. Being on supervision that long makes it possible to be revoked & sent back to prison to serve the rest of the time if there are any mistakes.

Here is something from the Pardons & Parole site that might help explain the parole process.

https://pap.georgia.gov/parole-process-georgia-0
You might also contact the National Incarceration Association based in GA. They are an advocacy group & can give you info on parole as well as Family Day events where you can meet officials to ask questions. Their site is https://joinnia.com/
Old 05-29-2019, 05:31 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,478 Times in 12,944 Posts

Here is a link to the Georgia Parole Board's frequently asked questions.
https://pap.georgia.gov/frequently-asked-questions-0

GaReform and I posted at the same time.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,126 Times in 3,177 Posts

Extremely short summary: when someone paroles out, it means that they promise the state that they'll be good and behave themselves for the rest of their sentence. They are still technically "incarcerated" and a violation of their probation requirements will send them back inside since they still owe the state the rest of their sentence.

Let's say your loved one paroles out after 2 years of a 7 year sentence. He still owes the state those 5 years. While he's on parole, he's still serving his sentence. If he does anything to violate his parole restrictions/requirements, he can be sent back to prison to serve out the rest of his sentence on the inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
bsinclair93 (06-03-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:03 AM

Just curious, let's say after parole, he was on good behavior for 4 of the 5 years left on the 7 and then violated. Would he do 1 more year, or do the 5 years that he had left before? I know you said it is like he is incarcerated still, so just random curiosity as to how it works.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta5518 View Post
Just curious, let's say after parole, he was on good behavior for 4 of the 5 years left on the 7 and then violated. Would he do 1 more year, or do the 5 years that he had left before? I know you said it is like he is incarcerated still, so just random curiosity as to how it works.

From what I know, he would serve the 1 year that was left. If he had a 7 year sentence & was released after 2 years then he'd have the remaining 5 years to serve under supervision. If he messed up & had a violation that didn't result in new charges he would go before the judge & the judge would decide what would happen. He could have part or all of the remaining time revoked & have to serve it in prison. As far as your example, goes, he had a 7 year sentence - 2 years served = 5 years left. He serves 4 years out on parole so that is 5 years remaining - 4 served on parole = 1 year left. If he does have a violation with no new charges then he should only have to serve the 1 year remaining. Now if whatever he did results in new charges, he'd be looking at serving the remaining 1 year from the original sentence & whatever time he gets for the new charge.
Bottom line is once you're out, watch yourself. The little details of supervision can send you back quicker than a new charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-31-2019), gta5518 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinclair93 View Post
Hi, all,

My man is currently away for Aggravated Assault and Burglary, this is his first offense. His background was clean until this. The first time he was served he did 1 year in the county and bonded out, went back to court in Nov 2018 now he is at Correctional Institute. He been doing mobile detail since he left from Jackson. He was given seven years in prison with five years on probation. He goes up in front of the PB April 2020 for his decision date. However, I am sure curious to know will he have to do the entire 7? Thanks for reading!
Aggravated assault is a level 8felony. Burglary (depending on the type) may be a level 8 as well. Either way he will have to serve 2/3 of the sentecnce according to state law. That date in April is his PED date. Itís when youíve served 1/3rd of your sentence. Thatís when the parole board first decides on whether to issue a TPM. In this case it wouldnít surprise me if they decided not to issue a TPM at that date. But donít be discouraged. They can always change their mind at a later time and most likely will. Find out if he is PIC eligible. These are points you can earn from classes, details later etc...Each point is 1 month off your TPM or max out date, if no TPM is issued. When heís within 4 years of his maxout date or TPM he should talk with his counselor about transferring to a Transitional center for long term maintenance. A TC is like a halfway house. Long term maintenance are those who canít leave the TC. They just work details around the TC or out side. He canít get a real job. When he is
Is within 15 months to his max or tpm he should apply for a transfer to a TC for the work release program. Where he will be able to go out and get a free world job and get passes to go spend time with his family on the outside.

Most important thing he does now is behaves himself and does not get any DRís.

Out of curiosity what prison is he at right now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riddick3882 For This Useful Post:
GaReform (06-02-2019), GingerM (06-01-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick3882 View Post
Aggravated assault is a level 8felony. Burglary (depending on the type) may be a level 8 as well. Either way he will have to serve 2/3 of the sentecnce according to state law. That date in April is his PED date. Itís when youíve served 1/3rd of your sentence. Thatís when the parole board first decides on whether to issue a TPM. In this case it wouldnít surprise me if they decided not to issue a TPM at that date. But donít be discouraged. They can always change their mind at a later time and most likely will. Find out if he is PIC eligible. These are points you can earn from classes, details later etc...Each point is 1 month off your TPM or max out date, if no TPM is issued. When heís within 4 years of his maxout date or TPM he should talk with his counselor about transferring to a Transitional center for long term maintenance. A TC is like a halfway house. Long term maintenance are those who canít leave the TC. They just work details around the TC or out side. He canít get a real job. When he is
Is within 15 months to his max or tpm he should apply for a transfer to a TC for the work release program. Where he will be able to go out and get a free world job and get passes to go spend time with his family on the outside.

You're right, definitely look into a TC. Visitation is more relaxed, they have the chance to earn money working & can wear regular clothes plus have a cellphone after their orientation time is over. The TC where my son was even took them on weekly shopping trips to Dollar Tree as long as they were well behaved. It is a process so plan on it taking time to apply. I think my son applied in November & was finally transferred in May.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 PM

He said he would have to do a 3rd of his time so that mean he is not likely to come home when he goes up in April? He does mobile detail and has almost completed all his classes. He has only been at camps and not the actual prison itself. I am so confused also sorry for the late reply my notifications are not on.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick3882 View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty much what you stated I knew lol, I just was not sure did he have a strong chance of getting out once he goes up in April? He has not been at prisons only camps since he left jackson Ė he is down at Terrell County CI now. For the longest he has been doing mobile detail (going to other prison and working with the other inmates) and was just was offered to do some other job for the warden there. We have discussed the TC but I was just trying to focus on now and then worry about the other then after knowing whatís going to happen in April. Most of his classes are finished he just got one more, he said he going to consider getting his CDL's.

Last edited by bsinclair93; 06-03-2019 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: adding on