Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 12-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Donation Award 

Default Men's Central Jail......Los Angeles

I was wondering if anyone out here is familiar with the LA County Jail system? I am wondering if there is a active jail AA panel that goes to Men's Central and if there is any way of getting a big book to a inmate? My son will be housed there for the next couple of months and was having a hard time getting any info about AA meetings/etc. on his end.

Thanks,

KellyA.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2002, 12:36 PM
Been here forever

Hello Kelly, i am afraid i dont have those answers, but hopfully someone here will. have a wonderful day
Old 12-18-2002, 12:44 PM
IT'S OK TO WALK ON!

Books, papers, or periodicals received through the mail are permitted provided that the publication is not available or can not be obtained through the regular jail library. The publication must be mailed directly from the publisher or a bookstore.

The Inmate Answering Service is staffed 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can reach them at (213) 473-6080. Contact them regarding the availability of AA meetings.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:45 PM
Loving My Man

AT COUNTY JAIL IN LOS ANGELES, THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED ANY BOOKS, MY BABY WAS THERE WHILE WAITING TO GO TO COURT AND I COULD NOT SEND HIM ANYTHING, BUT PUT MONEY ON HIS BOOKS AND WRITE LETTERS, SEND A COUPLE OF PICTURES. NOTHING ELSE. YOU CAN ONLY SEND BOOKS TO THE PRISONS AND THEY HAVE TO BE SENT BY THE BOOK STORE ANYTHING HE NEEDED HE HAD TO BUY AT STORE, I COULD NOT SEND HIM STAMPS OR ENVELOPES, NOTHING. I HOPE I HELPED. ANY MORE QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW.

Last edited by DeDe; 12-18-2002 at 02:53 PM..
Old 12-18-2002, 03:23 PM
IT'S OK TO WALK ON!

That's interesting especially since the info above was taken directly from the central jail FAQ.

I would definetly call to verify. Maybe the info has changed since the website info was posted.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:57 PM

It's entirely possible that different rules apply to inmates waiting trial, and those sentenced to jail time (less than a year) or awaiting transfer to a receiving prison. Pre-trial detainees are subject to a raft of restrictions (they don't work, they're not able to do treatment programs, etc).

OT, but I'm wondering ... Why do people post replies like "I don't know, but I hope someone here does?" For someone who doesn't sit here all the time, an email notification that someone has replied will be the likely first thing to bring them back. A reply that doesn't really add anything (that I can see - ?) brings them back unnecessarily... A show of support is one thing, in a forum where that's warranted. But when seeking specific information, it seems strange to reply with anything other than that information?
Old 12-18-2002, 05:07 PM

My friend was in Men's Central, He was not allowed to recieve books FROM ME! He can receive them directly from the publisher though. Magazines the same.

The information line is pretty good, depending on what time you call, they can be LESS than helpful at around 5-7 pm and before 9 am. DON'T call at 12 noon. High priority is eating LOUDLY into the phone around then.

PS...as far as visiting...CRAPPY!!!! You'll wait at LEAST 5 hours on Saturday and Sunday for a 15 minute visit. Prepare yourself to be IN LINE no later than 6 am to visit before 1 pm.

I've got some info if you need it.

Strasse, did you know that you are able to turn your email notification off? You can do that in the User Control Panel and Edit Options.

We do offer extensive support here, whether it be "I hope you find all the answers you're looking for" or whether it be just a good luck wish. We don't discriminate as to what posts we leave our wishes on. I would suggest clicking NO on "recieve email notification" if that bothers you.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:58 PM
Donation Award 

Hello,

Thank you all for the information!! And your support!! My son was sentenced today, so he will most likely be on the bus to Wayside soon. So, I will deal with the whole AA/book thing later when I know where he will be staying.
My son was at Central in June and I went to go visit once Waiting in line 3 hours, having to pee!! I just left! Never did see him!! I will wait once again until he gets to Wayside!! It's sad, I swear there has got to be 1/4 of the population of Los Angeles' men housed in those 2 jails downtown!! With all those people standing in line to visit!!

KellyA.

Old 12-19-2002, 10:06 PM

ooh....wayside? I'm gonna doubt that....it took them two weeks and they came and got my friend and shipped him off to Delano. Wasco and Delano are the favored spots for reception out of Mens Central.

I heard HORROR stories about Mens Central when my friend was there, toilets overflowed, 6-8 people per 2 man bunk, most on the floor, sleeping with rats and water underneath them, mind you that was toilet water. Filthy conditions and they couldn't care less. LA county needs a check on reality.

Twin Towers (i heard, don't know of this is true or not) will be converted to a female jail here shortly. They're closing down a couple other county jails and sending more people home if their bail is low and they are non violent offenders. This is all heresay, but wouldn't it be nice?
Old 12-20-2002, 09:23 PM
Donation Award 

My son got a year county time. He was lucky once again and won't do any time in prison. So hopefully he'll go to Wayside. I am going to try and visit him next Thursday. I hear the visiting line goes faster during the week days!! LOL(yeah right!!) But I do know that both the jails are over crowded. The woman's jail has been closed now for years here in LA and the county I know is closing the Jail in VanNuys. It's a mess!! My son is only 18 and he has already been a jail riot this past June!!

KellyA.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Closed

My Man and My cousin are in Wayside. I'm looking for a carpool if anyone can help. I live in Long Beach. Thanks
Old 09-15-2003, 07:27 PM
My Starvin' Marvin
Donation Award 

If your son got a year county time, he will definitely be moved to Wayside and do some work and wear a red shirt instead of the orange one. Wayside is way better than LA County Jail when it comes to visiting. You get a 30 mins. visit per day on Sat. and Sunday or one hour in a day. You don't even have to fall in line for a long time. A bus is designated to take the visitors in the north or south facility and drop you off in front of the dorm.

Ana

Old 09-16-2003, 07:14 AM
Donation Award 

Hello

This is a way old post My son is out and did all his time as a trustee at the West Hollywood Sheriff's Station. Though, give it a couple more months and he'll be back in on a probation violation

KellyA.