Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Former U.S. Marine

Post Probation Early Release

My probation officer here in NJ said he could have me release from probation as soon as i filled out some paper work, but he said that it would only cover NJ since my probation was transfered at release from CT. Does CT allow early release from probation since i'm going to already be approved for release in NJ will that help my chances of CT giving the final approval.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

r/s
scrypte
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2004, 11:43 PM

Lightbulb Where do we go now???

When you are on parole (or in many cases probation) on an inter-state compact agreement, you are on parole (or probation) in both states! Interstate supervision is supervision by BOTH the sending AND the recieving state. The recieving state is responsible for your direct supervision, but your sending state should still have a file on you and an officer who periodically may check on your supervision status in the receiving state. They do this to make sure that you have not been violated (and then they can bring you back, etc.) Often enough, this is sloppily done (if at all) by the sending state. But always be prepared and it is best to know what is expected of you from both states.

You can find that information in your own paperwork. You would have signed a list of rules and regs from both states, as well as a compact agreement and agreement to return documents. Read through your parole (or probation) guidelines. What do they state about when you are no longer under supervision in your receiving state?

It may make you uncomfortable, but if you don't have your paperwork handy, call the sending state (or your former supervising officer) about your situation. Also ask your current supervising officer about any ins and outs. Of course, make absolutely sure that you have everything in writing before doing anything, -the last thing you want is for there to be problems because you didn't understand your situation effectively enough.

Best of luck!

-Parole Helper
Old 09-21-2004, 05:49 AM

Location: Originally Maine, then MA, NY and now back in New Englad area

The receiving state has no authority to terminate probation, as mentioned above they are only supervising for the other state. Any violation or early terminations will go through the sending states court. NJ must supervise the client for as long as the sending state has them on probation and until the sending state sends paperwork to the recieiving state requesting they terminate interest. I don't know what the NJ officer was talking about. If CT allows early termination it would help to have NJ send a progress report suggesting they do this. As Parole Helper said, go to the PO who has your file in CT and ask if CT laws allow consideration for early termination.