Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

WENDE HUB PRISONS - NY DOC New York Prisons in the WENDE HUB - Albion, Attica, Orleans, Rochester, Buffalo, Wende, Wyoming, Livingston, Groveland, Collins, Gowanda, Lakeview.

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:58 PM
home since 8/06

Thumbs up Attica Correctional Facility

Attica Correctional Facility
Box 149
Attica, New York 14011-0149

(585) 591-2000

(Wyoming County)

Prison Web Site: http://www.atticacs.k12.ny.us/hs/lib...ISON/news.html

Visiting: 9AM-3PM;Visiting starts at 9 but they will allow you to wait in the waiting room at about 8:45. I suggest you get there early so that you can get an early number -You have to get the food, and buy tickets for pictures. Weekdays are a lot better than weekends. Bring a second form of ID "just in case". Make sure it isn't out of date and you shouldn't have any problems. Going on a week day shouldn't be so bad either as far as the guards are concerned. The food is reasonably priced compared other prisons I've been in. You'll have to fill out a "first time" visitors form and there is an inmate from the medium security prison when you come in the door that will tell you what you need to fill out.

Visiting Rules: If inmate receives more than 2 weekday visits, he cannot have weekend visits. As for the dress code, it's not strict like what I've seen at downstate....Shirts/sweaters don't have to be way pass your butt & you can wear skirts with slits....exception: no sleeveless shirts.

Visiting Room: 2; you can purchase tickets to take pictures.. Vending machines are always restocked (at least during the weekend)You can hold hands and kiss as long as you don't get too carried away. If you kiss too long they will come to your table and break you up. When it is time to leave they give you a few minutes to hug and say goodbye.

All the visitors go to the front of the room and leave together and the men stay at the tables untill everyone is gone. Visitors with kids -- Be aware that when my wife and I went to visit my brother with our 4 year old and 2 year old, we all could not go in together, because the 2 year old was "too big" to sit on our lap, and the limit is three visitors at a time. So my wife had to sit in the waiting room while I took the girls in to meet their uncle.

Also, note that chapstick, lip gloss, etc. cannot be brought into the visiting room.

We were allowed to bring in an infant bag with two bottles of milk. This helped since both girls are allergic to dairy and we put rice milk in the bottles.

The visiting room is quite pleasant with very cheerful murals and lots of light. There is a tv and playmat for the kids. There are kids' videos at the guard's desk in the front of the room.

Some guards are nicer than others. They seem to be less tense during the week when it is not crowded. Do not try to be their friend, just be polite and don't take any comments personally.

Be prepared for the chance of sitting next to a table where the inmate is being visited by an overemotional wife occassionally spouting profanities.

Lodging:
Attican (5 mins away)- http://www.atticanmotel.com

Below is a list of place to stay when visiting Attica and the surrounding facilities:
Attican Motel Attica 585-591-0407

B&J Motel Warsaw 585-786-2685

Batavia Motel Batavia 585-343-5531

Best Western Batavia 585-343-1000

Comfort Inn Batavia 585-344-9999

Colonial West Motel Batavia 585-343-5816

Heverons Towne Manor Batavia 585-344-1455

Lees Motel Batavia 585-344-4842

Lock's Motel Batavia 585-343-8551

Mark Trail Motel Batavia 585-344-9985

Microtel Inn Batavia 585-344-8882

Sunset Motel Batavia 585-343-0794

Super 8 Motel Batavia 585-344-4151

This is only a partial listing and I can only tell you about a few, as I have not stayed in most, Microtel, Comfort Inn are 2 of the really nice ones on the list, Mark Trail is small, farely clean, and has pretty reasonable weekly rates, about $150 plus taxes, you have to call well in advance for reservations for the Mark Trail. All of these are approximately 10-15 minutes away from Attica Prison. Hope this helps.

Hope Hospitality House (45mins-1 hour)- http://www.hopeofbuffalo.org/hospitality_house.htm

Hotels in Bativia (about 30 mins away from facility; you'll want to stay in Bativia if you prefer to explore; do some shopping, etc.. example, I'm going up for the week & I made reservations with Ramada Limited because I don't want to be stuck in a motel/hotel room with nothing to do)
http://www.hotelsbycity.com/new-yor...via-hotels.html

Prison Web Site: N/A

FRP available: Yes, I think every 45 days depending on the days you select

Number of prisoners: 2100+; inmates receive their own cell after 3 months; double-bunking is available if requested

Opened: 1931, Capacity: 2240 male (16+), Adult Correctional Institutions, Employees: 871, Cost of care: $47.24 per day

Packages: Attica is a TV facility; they are allowed 2 packages from home 35 pounds, and after the 2 from home, he will have to order from vatalogs at the prison.

When shipping magazines, etc, make sure receipt is included; they're a sticker for handwritten packages; they get very skeptical. I went to Barnes & Nobles, made my selections & requested shipment; items where shipped w/o receipt & it was returned to me even though the box stated Barnes & Nobles.

General Information: Guidance is very informative; I was able to get the street address [681 Exchange Street]; they informed me that I had a block on my phone when I didn't hear from my love one.

a picture? don't have any

ride with Corky/United Brothers (917-731-4286) United Brothers only picks up in Brooklyn, Queens, & Manhattan. Corky has a number system; they hand out the visitor form in the order that you call him to make reservations; I call monday mornings so I can get a good number (quietstorm)
--

The Attica Correctional Facility is one of the most well known prisons in the United States, second possibly to Alcatraz. It held many of the worst criminals of the time when it was created in the 1920s. A tear gas system is installed in the mess hall and industry areas and has been used to cease conflicts in these areas. The prison now holds many people who are serving 25-to-life terms for murder.

Attica was the site of a prison riot in 1971 which resulted in 42 deaths (31 inmates and 11 prison employees).

If you have any additional information, you can PM me- and it will be added accordingly. Thank You.

Last edited by Momma Ann; 11-26-2011 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: change packkage info
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Manzanita For This Useful Post:
benbaker108 (06-28-2009), carmella224 (12-09-2009), Doll Eyes (04-12-2010), EmRivera (09-14-2013), FreeMyboo117 (07-11-2010), GrandmaL (03-27-2011), Jellybean231 (05-17-2010), ladieekapri (10-21-2008), ladyknuckle$ (03-12-2010), Montae324 (01-12-2014), NoCandiCoatedBs (02-13-2013), NYCAB (03-11-2010), nycgal (11-08-2014), posswife (10-07-2011), slsmax (10-29-2012), waltsboo (02-22-2010), Wisewoman08 (11-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread