Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 2 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 2 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities:: Baker CI, Columbia CI, Columbia Annex, Cross City CI, FL State Prison, FL State Prison West, Hamilton CI, Hamilton Annex, Lake City CF, Lancaster CI, Lawtey CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Lowell Reception Center, Madison CI, Marion CI, Mayo Annex, Putnam CI, RMC-Main, RMC-W, Suwannee CI, Suwannee Annex, Tomoka CI, Union CI

Old 10-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Frenchy Member

Default Cross City Correctional Institution Q&A

P. O. Box 1500
Veterans Road
Cross City, Florida 32628-1500
(352) 498-4444
Suncom: 656-4444
FAX: (352) 498-4333 or 4334
E-Mail: crosscityci@mail.dc.state.fl.us

Chaplain's Office
(352) 498-4399

Directions: From Tallahassee, turn left off of US-19/US-98 approximately mile south of Cross City, then turn right on Veteran's Road. Travel approximately one mile. Institution is on left.

Historical Information: In 1972 the Legislature provided funds to convert an abandoned Air Force Base to a correctional facility. Cross City C.I. was originally established as an educational facility, housing minimum and medium custody inmates. Currently it houses adult male inmates. Cross City Work Camp is under the supervision of Cross City C.I.

Total Staff (on 8/04): 326

Type of Housing Units:

Open Bay Housing Units 1
Cell Housing Units 2
Room Housing Units 2
Total Capacity 690

Other Information:

Population Gender Male
Adult or Youthful Adult
Facility Level 5
Self Contained Housing Units Yes
Designated Confinement Space Yes
Custody Grades Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades 1
Psychological Grades 1 and 2
Wheelchair Capabilities No
Hearing Impaired Capabilities No

Academic Programs:

Adult Basic Education
General Education Development
Computer Assisted Instruction Lab
Mandatory Literacy Program
Special Education

Vocational Programs:

Automotive Repair/Refinishing
Carpentry and Cabinetmaking
Computer Electronic Technology
PC Support Services
Plumbing Technology

Wellness Education Services:

Fresh Start Smoking Cessation
Wellness Education
Sports Leagues
Music/Band
Jaycees Sports
Hobbycraft
Library Services:

Library Program

Major Law Collection

Substance Abuse Programs:

Modality I
Alcoholics Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous

Chaplaincy Services:

Chapel Library Program
Kairos Week-ends
Prison Fellowship Quarterly
Religious Education
T.D. Jakes Satellite Location
Worship Services

Institutional Betterment Programs:

None at this time.

Other Ongoing Programs:

Aerobics
Band Program
Builders
Life Skills
Music Therapy
12 Step Program-Spiritual Approach
Distance Broadcast of 100 hour Transition Program

P.R.I.D.E. Programs:

Identification/Vinyl Products Division

Community Work Squads:

Dept. of Transportation 5 Squads
Public Work Squads 7 Squads
Interagency Community
Service Work Squads Yes

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and dont pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby
Attached Images
File Type: gif 211.gif (27.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Phil in Paris; 10-20-2004 at 08:27 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2006, 03:00 AM

Default Anyone with a Loved one at cross city c.i.

hello to everyone!!!

i'm actually pretty new to all this.
just wondering if some one here have a love one at cross city. cuz i plan to visit my mate im sure i need befor a lot of help. so if i could share it with someone how know the prison and the rules... it would be nice.

rea
Old 03-17-2007, 12:47 AM

Default cross city

hi ya all

i'm still looking for someone who can give me any advice for the visit at cross city!?!?!?
no one here who have been there???

oh well, so i have to experience it...
Old 03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi everybody !

I guess you couldn't find anybody who's going especially to Cross City... All prisons are quite the same and the rules too
Old 05-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Blessed Wife

Yes, I know someone at Cross City- this institution is right outside of gainesville. The rules are pretty much the same as the others. You must wear conservative clothing. Nothing see thru- too tight- or too short. No shower slides (soft sole flip flops). You can take up to $50 cash inside with you... and only 1 car key. If you take in a bag it has to bee see thru. You are allowed 1 embrace and kiss at the beginning and end of each visit. You may hold hands during visit, but no other body contact allowed. No lap sitting...etc..
Let me know if you have specific concerns..I will try to help.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 PM

Hi, Rea!!!

Still looking for someone who's been to Cross City C I?? Well, I've been. I went for the first time this past saturday. It was pretty straightforward. No surprises for me. I haven't visited anywhere else, though. So, my experience is fairly limited. Holler back if I can help......

Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

I also visit Cross City...we hate it and can't wait to get back to Union. But we've been to a few prisons so far. The extra rec he gets he loves but because he's a roofer it's been a bit hard on them there.

Visitation is real small, they have a dumb rule about the officers keeping the photos till just before ya leave. Almost forgot them one time cause they don't remind you about them. Not much to do either there's cards, but none of the board games other prisons have.

And if it gets too crowded and it's raining and lighting and they close the outside visiting area, they start asking people to leave since the inside only holds 76 people.

We will definitly be glad to be back to the big visiting park, big area to walk around in and A/C of Union. Hopefully soon.

~SPIKESWIFE~

Old 10-06-2007, 02:23 AM

Hey, there, Spike's Wife!

Do you get to talk to your man often or see him? Keith is at Cross City, too. I'm wondering if the roofers have been real busy this week or something. I've not heard from Keith in over a week, by mail (I don't have phone contact with him right now... and can't visit all that often due to babysitting issues.....so it's all mail for now). I know if the roofers are working on the compound, that shuts down any movement. Anyways, I'm grasping at straws right now, but trying not to loose my mind. I usually have mail from him every day except wednesdays and sundays, of course. Now, I'm just worried out of my mind. I keep saying 'maybe tomorrow', but I'm getting real discouraged. Anyways, thanks........
Hope you have a great weekend!

Steph
Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Cross City

Hi, one more thing. How about Cross City? Is this a good camp?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Patiently Waiting

my fiance likes it ok. he can have his guitar there and they have bands, and he got the job he wanted so he is ok with it.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I need my baby..

Thanked 1,567 Times in 735 Posts
Default Cross city???

My man is in cross city, and just got locked up over some bs, or so he calls it. But do any of you guys know how it is there???
Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 PM

He can be in confinement for up to ten days while they investigate whatever happened and decided whether or not to give him a Disciplinary Report. So it may just be that and they'll agree it is bs and let him go.

If he thinks he is unfairly dealt with, he's been given instructions how to file a grievance. If he doesn't do it, either he's not telling you the whole story, or he has decided it is too minor to go through the hassle of doing so. He'll be alright.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Quixote For This Useful Post:
makayla22 (07-13-2008)
Old 07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Donation Award 

Cross City is not too bad actually. Just like any other prison some ppl can not handle power . What our men think is BS and what the rules are may be two different things or the same thing. I do know that several ppl from at least one dorm have been writen up and sent to the hole in last 2 weeks for disrespect to a CO.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I need my baby..

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorqueen View Post
Cross City is not too bad actually. Just like any other prison some ppl can not handle power . What our men think is BS and what the rules are may be two different things or the same thing. I do know that several ppl from at least one dorm have been writen up and sent to the hole in last 2 weeks for disrespect to a CO.

Thats probley him, what did they say happened???? Im nosy!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Closed

Default Cross City C.I.

Hello Everyone!
Just writing to see if I can get any information regarding Cross City. Has any of your loved ones been or is being held at Cross City? My man just got there late last night and he is just going through it. He got half of his things stolen, his building is majority life sentences, and his roomate is a crazy life priosner! I dont understand why he is put with those kinds of people. He is considered minimum security! Why... Why... Why? Is there anything that can be done to get him somewhere safer? Please if anyone has any stories or advice about this place.... Please let me know! Thanks so much!

God Bless!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I need my baby..

My man is at cross city, and so far it actually seems alright. Its actually not nearly as bad as most prisons are, custody wise. Alot of them at cross city are short timers, compaired to most places. He'll be fine....
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Default Visiting @ Cross City CI

Good Evening Everyone,

Can anyone tell me about visitation @ Cross, what time to get there, any toys for the kids, how the officers are? My husband is going there and I want to make sure I cover all basis. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelathediva View Post
Good Evening Everyone,

Can anyone tell me about visitation @ Cross, what time to get there, any toys for the kids, how the officers are? My husband is going there and I want to make sure I cover all basis. Thanks in advance.
Maybe you've already been by now, and I hope your visit was good. But in case you haven't, here's my take.

I try to get there before 8:30 so there won't be too many before me; I don't want to lose any more visiting time waiting. Yes, I think there are some toys for kids; there are lots of books.

The officers don't usually give any trouble, although my guy was told we couldn't sit facing each other. He has had some trouble outside of visitation, though, from one CO, even though he tries hard to keep the rules.

Last edited by communicator; 03-20-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Info about Cross City CI VP

I have heard all kind of different things about Cross City CI visit park. I was just wondering if someone could feel me in. I have heard that there are more things to do for the kids. Like there are balls to play with and there is a bigger space to be out side. Could someone just let me know what it is like. My husband is going to be transferred there from Franklin CI. Anything has to be better than Franklin.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Account Closed

They have a playground and a track for the kids, u can walk to track or swing on the swing set...

but an officer there just beat my husband and broke his ankle
Old 07-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I havent been on in a while.

I am sorry to hear about the beating and the broken ankle. Hope he gets better soon.. Did the guard get in any kind of trouble?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,544 Times in 3,575 Posts

Any updates on visitation here?

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 AM

Default Need Info on Cross City

My nephew is in CFRC in Region III right now. He wants to transfer to Cross City to be closer to family. He wanted me to try to find out if it's a good place.
Can anyone share their inmate's experience there or tell me if it's a "good" facility?
Some old posts say it's a good place and one said an inmate had his stuff stolen and a guard broke his ankle. So I dont' know what to tell him.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Katie
Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 PM

Lightbulb any info on Cross city

Hi I am looking for information on Cross City? My friend wants to move from Lake City there and I was hopeing someone can give me some information to pass on to him, like how are the guards? Viso, maybe even insights on what type of inmates are there, any gang activity, if they are on lockdown alot(he's in on L.D alot at Lake) any information I could use and pass to him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless you all!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky23 View Post
Hi I am looking for information on Cross City? My friend wants to move from Lake City there and I was hopeing someone can give me some information to pass on to him, like how are the guards? Viso, maybe even insights on what type of inmates are there, any gang activity, if they are on lockdown alot(he's in on L.D alot at Lake) any information I could use and pass to him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless you all!!!
well ,they beat my man up in handcuffs,, pepper sprayed him 6 times, and threw 11 drs on him, which tallahassee over turned.....
one female gaurd tried to date my man, there's a high homosexual population, but columbia's is higher.... if hes at lake city, that's a jit camp, and he should look at lancaster instead of ccci, if he's at columbia, id try new river unless he's just tryin to get over that way.... but by ALL MEANS, AVOID TAYLOR....