Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 2 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 2 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities:: Baker CI, Columbia CI, Columbia Annex, Cross City CI, FL State Prison, FL State Prison – West, Hamilton CI, Hamilton Annex, Lake City CF, Lancaster CI, Lawtey CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Lowell Reception Center, Madison CI, Marion CI, Mayo Annex, Putnam CI, RMC-Main, RMC-W, Suwannee CI, Suwannee Annex, Tomoka CI, Union CI

Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,544 Times in 3,575 Posts

Yeah, it really depends on how slow/fast they are to setup his phone list. The reception centers have lots of moving parts and people coming and going everyday.

I am one of those people who only had to wait 2 days, but Ben was at his permanent facility when we added my number. We didn't have the phone for the 1st year.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2009, 05:05 PM

The most common time frame is about two weeks.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird. View Post
My boyfriend has been sent RMC-Main from Orange County how long does it take them to call? I miss him so much! And do you have to set up an Account with CBS before they can call you?
My fiance just got to RMC West Tuesday he called me Wednesday, they only allowed him one called, he said he will try to call ASAP but he still there waiting to be sent to Sumter and havent heard from him, I just called the facility and they told me I could go visit him during this long weekend there, if he has you on his calling list from the facility he was before you dont need to set up no account
Old 07-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Fla_Knight from Florida

Default Fla_Knight from Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird. View Post
My boyfriend has been sent RMC-Main from Orange County how long does it take them to call? I miss him so much! And do you have to set up an Account with CBS before they can call you?
Hi...My name is Jack and I just recently got released (on 6/4/09) from the Fla. DOC (was at Santa Rosa CI Annex) after serving 2 1/2 years...and just signed on this site last night, so I am fairly new to this PTO. I also went through the North Florida Reception & Medical Center, in Lake Butler, so I know what your boyfriend is going through right now. It usually takes a couple of weeks to a month to get his phone list in (He has to hand it into his Classification Officer there when he sees the person, but if he is not ready to hand it in at that time, then, he can hand it in when he gets to his permanent institution, which takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get to unless he has some kind of medical problems that keeps him at RMC longer. Some people have to set up an account with Correctional Billing Services (CBS) and other don't have to set up an account. The calls in Florida's prison system is fairly cheap now than what they cost in the county jails around the state and what they use to be in the prison system...they are about $1.85 to anywhere in the U.S. When he hands in his phone list, he has to put the person's name & address actually like it is listed on the phone bill, or they won't approve in. They also will not approve business phone, nor any kind of internet numbers like Vonage...it has to be a regular landline phone system like AT&T, BellSouth, etc. I know internet phone services are cheaper, but for some reason (who knows the reason especially since most people have to set up an account with CBS, except that the Fla. DOC like to have complete control of inmates' lifes. RMC is kinda like the boot-camp of the prison system...I made it through RMC without any problems, but a lot of inmates can't make it through without going to confinement or getting into some kind of trouble. I was a law clerk during my entire incarceration and was able to help tons of inmates with their leal issues/problems. I was assigned a law clerk job, because before my incarceration, I owned & operated Paralegal Services where among many other things I did criminal appeals, post conviction relief (3.850 motions) motions, and habeas corpus (both state & federal) petitions. I know quite a bit about the Fla. DOC and would be glad to answer and of your and/or anyone's questions about Fla. DOC, so if you and/or anyone else has any questions, please just P/M or email me and I will do my best to answer them for you. Take care of yourself and have a Happy Holiday weekend. JACK
***Oh yes, one last thing, if I were you...go ahead and write to him, if you already know his prison number (if not, I can help you with getting that also) and send him some stamped envelopes (up to 20) as soon as possible, so that he can write you back. Also, put inside the letter how many stamped envelopes you are sending...at the beginning of the letter and go ahead & put your address on most of the envelopes, so that they will be used just for writing to you.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 PM

I am so glad that I found you Fla_Knight. My grandson is at Lancaster and just arrived last week from Indian River. Before that he was at Lake Butler RMC. He wants to enter an appeal and I got the information for him. I called his attorney and she said that she would get back to me. I called several more times and she has not answered. I flew down from CT to see him and bring in the form that the Appellate Division gave me. Unfortunately, visitation was cancelled due to the flu. Any help that you can give me would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Closed

I thought you couldn't visit someone at the RMC unit in Lake Butler?? Unless if they are in there for medical treatments right??
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Closed

I thought people can't call anyone when they're waiting to ge to their permanent location?? Unless they're only allowed to make one phone to a relative like his mom or dad.

I've been talking to my boyfriend's mom, and trying to keep up with any info but she got a letter from him, and she told me if I wanted him to write me back, I would have to mail him a stamped envelope and leave some extra space on the second page so he can write me back. I don't really know. I'm new to this. But if he's allowed to make a phone call, then I don't understand why he hasn't called me but he said in his letter he wrote to his mom that he can't have any phone calls or have anyone come see him because RMC is only for processing inmates.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla_Knight View Post
Hi...My name is Jack and I just recently got released (on 6/4/09) from the Fla. DOC (was at Santa Rosa CI Annex) after serving 2 1/2 years...and just signed on this site last night, so I am fairly new to this PTO. I also went through the North Florida Reception & Medical Center, in Lake Butler, so I know what your boyfriend is going through right now. It usually takes a couple of weeks to a month to get his phone list in (He has to hand it into his Classification Officer there when he sees the person, but if he is not ready to hand it in at that time, then, he can hand it in when he gets to his permanent institution, which takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get to unless he has some kind of medical problems that keeps him at RMC longer. Some people have to set up an account with Correctional Billing Services (CBS) and other don't have to set up an account. The calls in Florida's prison system is fairly cheap now than what they cost in the county jails around the state and what they use to be in the prison system...they are about $1.85 to anywhere in the U.S. When he hands in his phone list, he has to put the person's name & address actually like it is listed on the phone bill, or they won't approve in. They also will not approve business phone, nor any kind of internet numbers like Vonage...it has to be a regular landline phone system like AT&T, BellSouth, etc. I know internet phone services are cheaper, but for some reason (who knows the reason especially since most people have to set up an account with CBS, except that the Fla. DOC like to have complete control of inmates' lifes. RMC is kinda like the boot-camp of the prison system...I made it through RMC without any problems, but a lot of inmates can't make it through without going to confinement or getting into some kind of trouble. I was a law clerk during my entire incarceration and was able to help tons of inmates with their leal issues/problems. I was assigned a law clerk job, because before my incarceration, I owned & operated Paralegal Services where among many other things I did criminal appeals, post conviction relief (3.850 motions) motions, and habeas corpus (both state & federal) petitions. I know quite a bit about the Fla. DOC and would be glad to answer and of your and/or anyone's questions about Fla. DOC, so if you and/or anyone else has any questions, please just P/M or email me and I will do my best to answer them for you. Take care of yourself and have a Happy Holiday weekend. JACK
***Oh yes, one last thing, if I were you...go ahead and write to him, if you already know his prison number (if not, I can help you with getting that also) and send him some stamped envelopes (up to 20) as soon as possible, so that he can write you back. Also, put inside the letter how many stamped envelopes you are sending...at the beginning of the letter and go ahead & put your address on most of the envelopes, so that they will be used just for writing to you.

Hey great post! My boyfriend is currently at Lake Butler and I don't know why it's taking him so long to write me a letter. He wrote a letter to his mom but she told me if I wanted him to write me, I would need to send him some stamped envelopes and leave some space on the second page. But I didn't think about putting my address on the envelopes but I did placed the stamps on the envelopes so they won't get lost or stolen. I had to pay an extra few cents to send his letter because the enveloped weighed a lil' bit. I put 3 stamped envelopes with 3 sheets of paper plus the letter I wrote and 2 pictures of myself so he can have something to dream about
Old 09-27-2009, 01:57 PM

the can have visitors there if they are permanent there or in the medical center. my son was there for three years before being sent to baker ci
Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 AM

Default Correct address for RMC-Main?

Does anyone have the correct mailing address for RMC-Main in Lake Butler? The FLDOC has a street and PO box listed and I want to make sure my mail goes to the correct one so it's not returned. Hubby just went there yesterday, I have his DOC # and am ready to send him stamps, paper and envelopes. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

I always used the PO Box when Ben was there and we never had any mail issues.

He's home!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Does anyobe have someone in RMC main?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had someone in RMC Main that can receive phone calls? My fiance is there and has been there for a week now, he can't call out yet and I have sent replies to his lettrs but in the one I got today, he says he hasn't gotten any from me. Well, he's not doing so without hearing from me and I was wondering if anyone could just have a message sent out for me that I love him and miss him? His name is Brian Goral and I would so much appreciate it if someone could.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 PM

He may be there just as a stop over. Where was he before there? When you wrote to him, did you mail it to that address. I know when my son went from SFRC to RMC, then finally to his perm camp, New River-O... it took over 6 weeks for some of his mail to catch up with him.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 PM

No he's only there for about three weeks they told him and I sent him mail at the return address on his envelopes which is also the address he gave me in the letter. I have been writing him and sending them out every day since monday and I got the letter from him that was sent out yesterday today...I have been getting letters every single day but this one was real short, begging, literally begging me to please write him. He hasn't gotten a darn THING, not one of mine at all and he's starting to think I changed me mind about waiting for him, apparently, they are in lockdown almost all day over there right now, at least according to these letters.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for mail to be extremely slow at the reception and for inmates to often think noone is writing to them. Hopefully he'll receive something you mailed soon. Are you writing his DC # on the envelope? If not, your mail will be returned. Hang in there; he'll get them.

He's home!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM

Keep writing, eventually they will get to him and he will have lots to read then Like I said, some of my son's mail took weeks to catch up to him. He got some of my newer letters before getting all the older ones.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Blackangel7922

Unhappy Lake Butler Prison in Florida

I'm new to PTO. My 19-yr old nephew was just sentence to 24 months, with good behavior he can get released in 13 months. He was sentence to Lake Butler Prison in Florida, I've heard several horror stories about this prison, and I'm really scared about his well-being. This is the first time anyone close to me has been sent to prison I really don't know what to expect. I'm 31yrs old, we all grow up close together and it feels like my child that's in there. Any information about this prison or any prison would be greatly appreciated. May God Bless You all.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Welcome to PTO!

Where did you get the information he would be released in 13 months with good behavior? Is he going into some sort of boot camp? Florida requires all those incarcerated to serve at least 85% of their time. That would put your nephew at closer to 20.4 months unless he had credit for time served while in jail awaiting sentencing. Just want to make sure you understand this.

All prisons have horror stories. Lake Butler is the reception center for the Region from my understanding. He should be transferred to his permanent camp within a few weeks.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
Welcome to PTO!

Where did you get the information he would be released in 13 months with good behavior? Is he going into some sort of boot camp? Florida requires all those incarcerated to serve at least 85% of their time. That would put your nephew at closer to 20.4 months unless he had credit for time served while in jail awaiting sentencing. Just want to make sure you understand this.

All prisons have horror stories. Lake Butler is the reception center for the Region from my understanding. He should be transferred to his permanent camp within a few weeks.
that may be including his credit for time served. My son was sentenced in Sept 2009 for 3 years. He was transfered to Prison Oct 1st and with his gain time, he will be out Sept 2011.. so that is only 1 year 11 months if you go by only his prison arrival date... when you throw in his nearly 9 months credit for time served, the ratio changes...
Old 05-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Even with jail credit an inmate can't exceed the 85% rule unless they were sentenced under the previous sentencing guidelines.

He's home!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's girl View Post
Even with jail credit an inmate can't exceed the 85% rule unless they were sentenced under the previous sentencing guidelines.
what do you mean "exceed"? Having to do less time? I know they can & do serve more time, but I never heard of less than the 85%. Then again, my son hasn't been in the system that long for me to know all the ins and outs of it.

If you are referring to being sentenced when the rule was something like 65%, that is different, but the OP was referring to "just" being sentenced so I doubt that serving 65% applies here.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Yes, I meant less than the 85%. The jail credit is not in addition to the gaintime rec'd to meet the 85% and I just didn't want the OP or anyone else new reading this to think that you could go below 85% or 65%, depending on when you were sentenced. Ben stopped rec'g gaintime and we weren't sure why since we knew it wasn't time so he sent a request to his CO to find out why. It was because with this jail credit he met the 85% date earlier than we had expected.

He's home!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, I meant less than the 85%. The jail credit is not in addition to the gaintime rec'd to meet the 85% and I just didn't want the OP or anyone else new reading this to think that you could go below 85% or 65%, depending on when you were sentenced. Ben stopped rec'g gaintime and we weren't sure why since we knew it wasn't time so he sent a request to his CO to find out why. It was because with this jail credit he met the 85% date earlier than we had expected.

From my understandind they are all open bay dorms there,My Husband said it was not bad at all there,He just hates open dorms,It's out in the middle of no where ,some houses,but know where to stay but an hour away by like Gainsville,Visiting went very nice there they were very laid back ,u dont have to get there really early either...I hope everything works out as best as it can...My Husabands been down almost 15 years now and says theses prisons are like day care,no big deal,hopefully yours will stay away from all the buu shit and just keep clean and he will be fine..I will pray for u guys...take care
Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Florida Visiting Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyculmo View Post
From my understandind they are all open bay dorms there,My Husband said it was not bad at all there,He just hates open dorms,It's out in the middle of no where ,some houses,but know where to stay but an hour away by like Gainsville,Visiting went very nice there they were very laid back ,u dont have to get there really early either...I hope everything works out as best as it can...My Husabands been down almost 15 years now and says theses prisons are like day care,no big deal,hopefully yours will stay away from all the buu shit and just keep clean and he will be fine..I will pray for u guys...take care
There are Hotels or motels on 301 just north of 16. It is 20 minutes from all of the facilities in the area. Lawtey, New River, Union, FSP, and RMC. A lot closer than Gainesville
Old 05-31-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, you confused me now.. but then you know, it doesn't take much to do that to me How do they get less than the 85/65%? I know they don't get gain time for their jail credited days, or at least my son didn't (and I didn't think they did).