Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 12-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,159 Times in 599 Posts
Default Whats your Story/Experience of the Parole Process??

Thanks to a wonderful idea from one of our members We want to hear your story of the parole process. Lets us know from your experience what has happened or happening.
Our goal on this is to help other members with questions about what our experiences are. example: He got a FI-1!! (how did this come about) or 'He was denied! (what reason for this).

This is just a story thread meant for imformative purposes to help members with there experiences and what to expect. We are all here to help each other and make this experiences as easy as possible for everyone.

Please be as detailed as you can with out putting personal info out there and Remember you only need to put imformation you are comfertable with telling.

Here are some Ideas of what we are looking for:

What was the offense- you do not have to be specific, ieÖdrug charges, dwi, parole violation, etc. Please do not post personal info! (no last names or TDCJ #'s)
How many times did your loved one go for a vote?

What were the results of the vote?

What Board voted(regional is sufficient)?

What did you do to help your loved one get a positive vote, did you write letters, do a parole pack, etc?

How often did you call the board for updates?

If approved, what kind of supervision is your loved one under?

If approved, how has your meetings with your PO been?

Please remember PTO policy when responding-do not bash any employee or board member nor any PTO member. Thanks for your imput!

Last edited by MoMo; 12-05-2004 at 06:09 PM..
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MoMo For This Useful Post:
crvgaltx (04-20-2011), daddysbabydoll (08-10-2009), Dravenrain (10-26-2009), jenlovesmichael (10-18-2011), julylady58 (06-28-2009), Mrs.Official05 (02-02-2009), scristanti (01-31-2012), summer365 (02-27-2009), TheSweetestGirl (09-21-2018), villarreal28 (12-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

My husband is in for a revocation of a auto theft charge with two additional charges. They are all no ag charges. We have been up for round one with parole and Denied. His file was pulled in March and he was voted on in July. I sent support letters and put together a parole packet and sent that. I called weekly to find out where his file was and if they had an answer. I followed his file every step of the way. His file was orignially suppose to be voted on out of the San Antonio board office but he was moved right before the file went to the board. He ended up being voted on out of the Palastine Board office. I did everything in my power to get him home. He was to no evail denied. Reason previous criminal history and previous lack of supervision history. All in all the board didnt believe he wouldn't reoffend. He was given a one year set-off and we are up again for a vote in July of 05. I working on another parole packet and gathering more support letters. I will not give up trying till I get him home.
Ding Ding getting ready for round two!

Last edited by MoMo; 12-05-2004 at 05:53 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MoMo For This Useful Post:
mrssherman11 (05-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Account Closed

Most of you know my story, but I will refresh your memory and share with our new people.

R was arrested 10/12/03 for DWI, 3rd or more. He was sentenced 4/29/04 to six years. He was in intake for about three weeks, transferred to a state/TDCJ facility where he enrolled in Cognitive Intervention and the Parenting Seminar. From there he was transferred to a trusty camp and enrolled in changes. He expects to complete changes before Christmas of 2004.

His PED is 1/6/2005, first up. His file was pulled for review in July of 2004, and I did the parole packet and mailed it in myself one week after his file was pulled. I write support letters monthly and have since his sentencing date. I sent the packet to Austin and to the regional board(Angleton)-something I strongly recommend.

I call the board at least once a week if there are no problems for an update and requested a phone interview which I have not yet received. We are approximately three weeks away from a vote at the time of this posting.

Last edited by cracknegg; 12-05-2004 at 06:03 PM..
Old 12-05-2004, 06:26 PM
We're still doing GREAT!!

I'll tell mine "As TDC Turns" when it happens!!

Compliments of Rach!!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Donation Award 

KB's offense is drug related.

This is our 2nd journey re parole review. I was repeatedly told that he would be denied parole the first time around - no questions asked. I refused to tell KB that I was told this and I did my best to always remain positive about his review. The PB decided that he had not served enough time and so they gave him a three year set off. He is up for review again in April 2006.

We did the parole packet. I called them at least once a week from October through the end of April 2003 to get a status as to whether the PB had made a decision. I have to say it was devastating to hear that he had been denied parole.

This time I am writing more letters of support and we have the parole packet pretty much done. His family is considering hiring an attorney out of Houston to assist us. We're a little confused about whether this is a good idea or not inasmuch as we consistently get conflicting advice. I thought it might be a good idea to have the parole attorney because his family doesn't feel as though they can write or speak for him for fear of retaliation or something by guards (their fears are based on what others have told them and not on anything that has happened).
Old 12-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Account Closed

Crone your inlaws (?) should not worry about retalliation from guards or other employees of TDCJ. This is absolutely not the case as far as I know. Support letters from the family carry more weight than an attorney from what I have seen. I am not saying do not hire an attorney, I am saying they should not be in fear of TDCJ CO's. AT ALL.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 PM

I was sentenced to 3 yrs. TDC in early 2001 for a prescription fraud charge. I was interviewed by an IPO on Sept. 4, 2001. The Palestine Board voted to grant an FI-3R on Oct. 11, 2001. This vote stipulated that I had to complete the CHANGES class and would be released after completing CHANGES. I began this class in early Dec. 2001. Normally, it took 3 months to finish the class.

Unfornuately, State classification sent me to a unit that was subject to frequent lockdowns due to numerous outbreaks of violence on that unit. Thus, it took me 6 months to complete CHANGES. I completed it in early June, 2002 and was released on Aug. 26, 2002 - 10 and 1/2 months after the Board voted.

I served 17 1/2 months on a 3 year non-agg sentence. I was fortunate to have a decent and fairly lenient P.O. but this is the exception, not the rule. I discharged earlier this year.

Because I had only been locked up for 6 months when I was interviewed by an IPO, I had no parole packet and no support letters in my file. This was my first time down, so I guess they gave me a break, but I still served half my sentence and was not released until almost a year after the Board had voted.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:26 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks cracknegg. I do know that and KB knows that but somehow he cannot convince his family of that. We've tried - believe me! It was hard enough to convince them to hire an attorney because they thought that too would bring about retaliation. The first time he was up for parole it took us almost a year and a half to get just a few of them to write letters of support because of this fear they have. That is the only reason we opted to get a parole attorney involved. Of course the fact that I am on the east coast and they are in Texas means that I'm not there banging them on the head every moment saying, "look - it's not that difficult and he won't be beaten if you write this letter." Fear and ignorance does awful things to people.

Thank you again for your response. It's nice to feel validated.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:46 PM

Well he was sentenced on April 22, 2004 for Dwi and sentenced to five years. he had some back time served so his time reflects from Feb 10,2004. His PED was Sept 7,2004. He was interview in early July and they voted in Septemeber and denied him. He was voted on by the Palestine Board. I did send in a parole packet with a letter from him, about 4 support letters and letters of guaranteed employment if he were to be released. Two days before they voted a commisioner came to interview him, this would of made the second interview for the one review process and then two days later the vote came in. There reasons for denying him were, not having enough time served for the crime and the fact he was a repeated offender on this offense. They gave him a 1 yr set off and we are expecting his file to be pulled in April or May. We are doing a packet again with support letters and once again he will have guaranteed employment.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 PM

My husband is in for Intoxicated Assualt w/enhancement for a prior felony. Sentenced to 10 years. He did receive credit for time served of 6 months so he went in 2/27/04 but it shows he went in July 2003. First time up he had his letter he'd done but nothing from me as we weren't expecting him to be interviewed yet. The IPO came June 8th. I mailed my packet directly to the Palestine Board and faxed in follow up information as I received it from his family.

He was denied in September but with a 1 year set off. So, we are busily working on the next set trying to do a better, more organized parole packet since the first one was just thrown together. September 2005 is the next review. Basically denied for not being there long enough.

We'll see how it goes this next year!

Old 12-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Site Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

How do you know which parole board to send packet to?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Here is a link to the board offices. Each office has a link to what unit they serve. If you need help please feel free to pm me for the help.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_...locations.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoMo For This Useful Post:
julylady58 (06-28-2009), normab50 (10-18-2009), Shaync (06-24-2016)
Old 12-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Site Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Thanks MLK,

That was quick and easy
The Following User Says Thank You to LAT For This Useful Post:
MRs.N0bl31n0nly (12-16-2013)
Old 12-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Account Closed

My man is new for a violation of probabtion. (techincal revoke) His file was pulled
aug,24 and Oct 26 an IPO officer come and interviewed him. They discussed anything and all things. He was question about crimes that where over 20yrs old. Our Parole Packett wasn' anything major: We got support letters from his mom, me, his best friend, Our pastor, our neighbor that he is real tight with. We also got one from our family Doctor.Oh yes His aunt sent one and so did our son Tim. I sent in two completed certifacte. All he was required by parole to do was the PAS class. I sent those up also. His review board is coming out of Amiarlo. No it hasn't gone before the BOARD yet. The IPO officer still has it, Why I don't know and they won't tell me. I call every two weeks I started calling right after oct 26 till today. I will keep calling, but when we get the results I will let you know. Right now we don't even know when that is going to be. Jeanne
Old 12-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm his Super She-Ro!!!

We are in week #10 of the waiting game. He was interviewed Sept 29. 2004. I call twice a week and get 2 different answers each time. 2 weeks ago I was told to call back in 1 or 2 weeks. Last week I was told 30 days. I really don't think they know what to tell you. I guess this week I will be told 2 more weeks. My Husband has done 5 flat on a 10 yr. non aggrv. conviction, case free for over 2 years, eligible for parole since August 2000. He is now housed in the trusty camp in his unit. As if any of that matters to TDCJ. It seems that the ones who keep getting in trouble are the one coming home. Just frustrated and tired.
<center>Waiting Wives Club Member.... <center><center>To My Husband...Baby, It's a lot of folks doing this but they aint all keepin' it real, we are in 2 different worlds but still, I love and need you and I wont let you go, Itís hard enough being alone I know you're missing me, missing home, rest your head cause you already know that Iím by your side, forever keeping your hopes alive, I know how it feels to cry, you will never be alone in your struggle for life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tears_N_Texas For This Useful Post:
julylady58 (06-28-2009), Keshakesha2010 (01-10-2016)
Old 12-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Account Closed

Tears I know what you mean and yes it does indeed seem like that. On a positive note, he has you and I know you will not lay down and take this without a fight. Fight hard, but fight smart and he will come home. You guys will be in my prayers.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm his Super She-Ro!!!

Thank You Cracknegg. I appreciate all the help you have given me. I pray for all of us.
<center>Waiting Wives Club Member.... <center><center>To My Husband...Baby, It's a lot of folks doing this but they aint all keepin' it real, we are in 2 different worlds but still, I love and need you and I wont let you go, Itís hard enough being alone I know you're missing me, missing home, rest your head cause you already know that Iím by your side, forever keeping your hopes alive, I know how it feels to cry, you will never be alone in your struggle for life
Old 12-14-2004, 12:22 AM

my husband made his first parole. we got a answer 1 month from the day he was interviewed. but he got a fi-5 on 13th of aug and he is still waiting to go to the iptc program that is required before he can be released.which by the way is 6 months long & then he has to do 90 days in a half way house. all this sucks but hey at least he will be home for X-mas 2005.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Account Closed

Anyone paroled b4 2003 really dont count because the rules changed dramaticlly after that.In 90 i did 2 months on a 2 year sentence and saw alot of people doing 1 month per year and getting out.Now everyone gets set off their 1st time it seems,even a 2nd if their sentence is long enough.I went back on a 4 year sentence in 93 and did 16 months on my 5th dwi.Anyway my reason to post is that there are ex board members who will put parole packetts together and lobby on behalf of their clients.{theres a legal thingy here so im not sure if lobby is the right word}But have this in mind.......these people sat on the board and know the politics involved plus probably know some of the current members,ill leave it to the reader to infer whatever they can out of that.Ive personally used a guy named mansman but it was 10 years ago.I saw a man with a 30 year sentence get out after only doing 4 years because of one of these ex board members and have heard countless success stories and failures.Just a thought.............
Old 12-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Account Closed

Thanks for sharing your story with us dudley. You really think having a parole lawyer or advocate makes a difference? I would be interested in hearing more of what you have to say on that and hope you will share with us in the Parole and Coming Home forums.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:08 PM

My Hubby Is In On Drug Related Charges. They Gave Him 4 Twenty Year Sentences To Run Concurrent . He Went In Aug 1,2001. His Forst Parole Came In October 2003. They Pulled Him Up In July 03 We Were Not Answered Until November 2003. Denied And Set Off 2 Years. He Had 2 Seperate Interviews One Was By An Actual Voting Board Member.this Was By The Amarillo Board Or The Abilene Board I Am Not For Sure Wich One. He Will Come Up For Parole Review Again In October 2005. This Was His First Offense, He Had Never Been In Trouble Before . He Went In At The Age Of 46 And Will Turn 50 In Sept.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:04 AM

Tears....if they let the problem children out, it insures they will re-offend, and come back, keeping the traffic flowing INTO TDCJ...not out...capeche? (shutting up now).

I'm kath (ya'll say HI KATH)...Skip is the love of my life. He was arrested July 02 for DWI (he has a history of them)....it had been 10 years since his last offense, and we appealed for minimum sentencing or we wanted to go to trial. The DMV voted that Harris County did not even exhibit probably cause to pull him over in the first place, and he refused breath test...so the DA had no proof. They did NOT want to go to trial (but originally threatened 7 years if we had gone to trial) and the DA agreed to a 2 year plea. Skip went into Harris county in November 2002 (I found PTO in November 2002...THANK GOD!!!).

He was given an outside job, and the county told him they were keeping him there for 6 months to work. We immediately filed for PIA (Parole in Absentia...you think regular review is hard, try getting the board's attention when the offender hasn't even been assigned a TDCJ # yet, LOL!!!).

Before the board could even review his PIA request, we found out the county lied, and TDCJ picked Skip up on 12/16/02. My first set of letters arrived at TDCJ on 12/20/02. He was sent to Garza West for intake.

Because of the shorter sentence and county time, he was eligible for parole pretty much the minute he got to TDCJ. I had his file pulled by 1/7/2003. He was moved to Garza East on 1/22/2003, and I flew to San Antonio for our first visit 1/25/03.

The IPO interviewed him, but nearly 90 days later, in 4/1/03, the vote was in...He was denied...not enough time served, criminal history, blah blah blah...and was ordered a serve all to his projected release date...10/14/2003. Because this was just 6 months away, I contacted parole, who IMMEDIATELY started processing his file pull again. Basically he had back to back reviews...with his 2nd review started on 4/15/03.

For reasons we never got clarified, Skip was moved to Dominguez State Jail on May 1. He was there for only 10 days, when he started his "5 units in 4 days" trek across Texas. The picked him up on 5/11/03....took him back to Gara West, then to Rosharon (I forget the unit name), then up to Holliday in Huntsville (where they made him spend the nite in ad seg) then over to CCA Mineral Wells.

I had made connections, so I knew where he was going and pretty much when he would get there before he did. He arrived in Mineral Wells on 5/15, and I went over to see him that very weekend. I kept kidding that I wouldn't mind if they moved him North (I live in Plano) and sure enough, now he was only 90 miles from me.

We continued weekend visits, me calling and harrassing parole or anyone else I could find at TDCJ almost daily. The file was still in Austin on 6/10/2003. I bugged them non-stop and the Gatesville board office got the IPO initiative on 6/27/03. After that, all we could do was wait.

On 7/23/03, the file was scanned to go back to Gatesville. I was on the phone with the Parole OMBUDSMAN when Gatesville scanned it in on 7/25/03. I had already put in MULTIPLE requests for an interview. Juanita Gonzalez contacted me on Monday, 7/28/03 for my interview. She started off stern, but softened over time...telling me to call her back in 2 weeks. THAT VERY night, I went to the North Dallas TIFA meeting, and as luck would have it, Skip's 2nd voting member, Bert Reyna, was doing a presentation. I gave him my business card, with Skip's name/TDCJ # on the back. He called me Tuesday 7/29, asking how he could help me. I told him I had already interviewed with Juanita, and we would appreciate his support....by Wednesday, 7/30/03 11am, Skip was RMS!! (approved for mandatory supervision).

We later found out he was moved to Mineral Wells to take part in the new DWI class. Because he was case free, he got promoted a line class, moving his out date from 10/14/2003 to 9/28/03. This fell on a Sunday, so I got to pick him up 9/26/03 (the friday before). He had NOT completed the DWI class when they released him.

Mineral Wells releases right out the back gate of their facility, and I picked him up and brought him home. He reported to parole on 9/29/03 (Monday). He was on parole from 9/29/03 to 11/09/04.

We're off paper....and life is good...he is still living/working in Houston, though plans are in the works for him to move north in the next 60 days. I have vowed to stay on PTO and help ANYONE else I can NOT have to suffer thru the process I went through.

If I can make it easier on just one person...or help someone get their loved one home, I will sleep easier, knowing TDCJ will have to eventully understand offenders are people too...who have loved ones out here fighting hard, supporting, & believing in those inside.....!!!

kath
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Trulykath For This Useful Post:
alisacali (02-14-2012), Darlin' (08-15-2014), David'sGirl (07-26-2013), jade266881 (01-26-2013), luvin_lopez (08-05-2010), mariahpina (06-23-2018), MrsJasonJames (10-15-2018), msbabyface1994 (07-09-2014), SassyLF (10-15-2012)
Old 01-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm his Super She-Ro!!!

Kath you are sooooo right. Why let ones out who wont be back to one that will. It makes all the sense in the world to me now. I finally get it. Seriously I had always suspected that. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my thinking. My experience is that they all have different answers each time you call. I was given the run around for over 3 months. I believe the the Palestine boad didn't even bother to take the time to look at my Husband's file. Otherwise they would of seen all the progress he made.

Last edited by Tears_N_Texas; 01-21-2005 at 12:46 PM..
Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 PM

Mine is in for intoxicated manslaughter, drunk driving accident, with his car used as a deadly weapon, affirmative finding. 12 yr sentence, 6 years before he could come up for parole. FIrst parole denied, MADD had a petition to deny his parole. We received a 2 year set off. Well he is up again.........I want to be positive but I'm not. He is a model inmate, never had a case against him, works, quiet, ( I threatened him real good!!!!!!). None of that made any difference. I admit I'm tired and would love to walk away from the situation, but I love him too much and can't walk away from him. So we will wait it out. You never know, this could be the year.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Donation Award 

Our experience was in 2002/2003. I don't know how much the rules have changed since then. We were told that they would pull his file to review it 6 months before he came up for parole. So, I started calling the parole line in October 2002. What they neglected to tell us is that they pull his file 6 months in advance but they do not act upon it until he is up for parole. Even though I was calling every week for info (and yes, getting a different answer each time) no one told me that nothing would happen until April 2003. Grrrrrr Then in 2003 he got a 3 year set off. He was sure that because he was a model inmate that he would be released on his first review. I had talked to others who had told me "no way - no how - not on a first try" so I was more prepared than he was for the denial. I didn't share the "wisdom" of the nay sayers with him because he strongly believes that if you speak about something it happens. He was devastated. Now I just say he will be paroled in 2003 and not allow any negative thoughts to come into play.

The difficult part was/is that his family lives in Texas and I live on the east coast. He asks me to do things for him rather than his family because they keep putting things off. It would be easier on both of us if we could get them to drive to the 179th District Court for things like copies of his judgment, bond conditions, etc. rather than have me write for them, wait for them, send the fee, wait for them . . . . It's too bad that we don't have something on PTO where we could ask people in say Massachusetts to get copies of documents, follow up on phone requests, etc. for someone who has a loved one imprisoned in Massachuetts but the other party lives in another state like Texas. It would certainly make things a lot simpler for some of us.