Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 05-15-2006, 11:07 AM

Question How Many Consider Smoking Pot a Bad Thing?

Many of you here know my ex-boyfriend is an addict. His drug of choice, whatever he can get his hands on, except weed. I have never seen him smoke pot.

I recently met this new guy, who's only drug of choice is pot. He doesn't drink, doesn't do pills, has a good job, pays his bills on time, goes to work everyday.

So tell me how many of you think smoking pot is a bad thing?

From the depths of their souls to to the depth of yours, addicts have a way with making us love them!!!! Billy's Babygirl

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy'sBabygirl For This Useful Post:
embertorrez (02-22-2011), Tuesday123 (07-24-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2006, 11:21 AM

I do.

I personally know a very intelligent young lady who had the world at her feet. She started smoking pot and still does. She dropped out of HS her senior year....she had always planned to be a nurse, had good grades, lots of friends. She still lives at home 2 years later, no diploma, no GED...nothing. She worked at the Dollar Store and the Skating Ring for a while last year, but that's about it. Her only friends are other "pot-heads". She looks terrible, never has any energy.....she is wasting her life.

Addiction is addiction be it meth, crack, alcohol or pot.
butterflz72 (01-25-2012), cj4u (12-07-2010), Jinty62 (07-13-2011), O's Sweetheart (09-07-2012), starr_poet (11-23-2008)
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 AM

Monique,

Good point!

However, this is a guy who is in his late 30's, gets up every day at 6:00 a.m., goes to work every day and is well established. I've seen him go weeks without smoking pot.

Is there such a thing as weekend warriors when it comes to getting high?

From the depths of their souls to to the depth of yours, addicts have a way with making us love them!!!! Billy's Babygirl

Old 05-15-2006, 11:58 AM

That I do not know. I do know people who have been week-end Alcoholics for many years and it has never seemed to affect their work life, etc. However one drowned while fishing drunk and two others have major health problems.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:13 PM

Health problems could be an issue here. Careless is another. I know usually when he smokes, he just goes straight to bed. I think he uses it almost as a wind down from a hectic day.

Has anyone ever heard of someone OD from pot? I mean regular pot?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Closed

I think everyone reacts differently from it, I've seen some be complete idiots and irresponsible while they are high and have seen other lead completely successful lives.
Bottom line though, it's still illegal. That's my issue more than anything.

But if it's not interfering with his responsibilities in life or your relationship, then it's up to you...

Never heard of anybody overdosing from it though.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:27 PM
waiting on my RICK

all i can say is god made pot and man made beer........who do you trust?????
member#58 loving my inmate club
member#89 comes home in 2007 club
member#19 loving my papichulo club

may 7,07...........is it here yet?????
rick you are the love of my life
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to rebswar For This Useful Post:
BerryBad (12-26-2011), brunhilde (12-20-2012), canthelpbutwait (12-08-2008), Chaoticangel (04-11-2012), Chellie (02-24-2009), cssoulsearching (12-23-2011), embertorrez (02-22-2011), ericwife1978 (07-09-2011), Mrs.Hidalgo (04-19-2011), mrsthebev (10-08-2011), Mz*DlOc (09-15-2012), PlasticInsanity (10-28-2011), schuyler (11-20-2011), shepswife (01-12-2012), starr_poet (11-23-2008), TraeNBoo (12-25-2011)
Old 05-15-2006, 12:29 PM

rebswar,

You sound like him! He says it's natural and comes right out of the ground. He's says the indians smoke tobacco and weed, they didn't label it differently, the politicians did.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy'sBabygirl For This Useful Post:
queenlynch (06-23-2012), starr_poet (11-23-2008)
Old 05-15-2006, 12:42 PM

God made the cocoa leaf, poppy plant and womens plumbing also. Sometimes even our higher power makes mistakes. To me, back in the day when I was playing, the THC level was around 20%, it's now upwards of 75%, and no longer as easy to just say I'm done. BBG, I think you need to take a deep look into yourself and figure out why you are attracted to guys with substance problems.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Shelby,

It's that damn co-dependency with me and trust me it's just not those with substance problems!!! *LOL*

Old 05-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Frankiesbaby

I do not see any problem with pot, other than it is illegal. Shelby eluded to the fact that God makes Cocoa and poppies also. This is true. But, both of those things are chemically altered to attain the end product. Pot on the other hand is totally unaltered. I am not trying to start a debate here. But, I think you would be surprised if you knew how many people really smoke pot.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frankiesbaby For This Useful Post:
BerryBad (12-26-2011), Chellie (02-24-2009), coopermi (12-23-2011), queenlynch (06-23-2012), starr_poet (11-23-2008)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Get On with Getting On

First it is illegal, and anything that can get you jammed up is a bad thing. Second most pot doesn’t come from your local neighborhood hippie grower anymore. It comes from Mexican drug cartels and the same chaps who bring ice into your homes and neighborhoods. Giving these people money for anything is morally speaking abhorrent.

However, I, years ago mind you, use to grow a lot of pot for my cancer and AIDS patients. If your boyfriend had these conditions or others which only pot will help, I say light er’ up.

Personally, I think it stinks and all it ever did for me is make me vomit and think people were in the bushes outside my window. Besides that it is a monumental waste of money, which he could be spending on you instead
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHerring For This Useful Post:
his babe forever (11-03-2011)
Old 05-22-2006, 11:46 AM
~Washington JustGirls~

Yes, it is a bad thing.. it is a drug.. no better than anything else in my books... plus I have seen many people who start out smoking pot then it leads into other drugs for them...
The Following User Says Thank You to JustLisa For This Useful Post:
his babe forever (11-03-2011)
Old 06-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Outlaw's honey girl

I don't think pot is a bad thing but like anything, you can abuse it. Sounds like this man is not out running amok or getting into trouble. Some people have a few cocktails to unwind after work, he smokes a joint. As long as he doesn't let it interfere with the rest of his life I don't think it's a big deal but it is illegal so you need to decide if you want to be around something that could land you in jail.

The Following User Says Thank You to honeyg For This Useful Post:
starr_poet (11-23-2008)
Old 06-06-2006, 04:19 PM
waiting for him

Smoking pot, recreationally (and definitely for medical reasons) is probably okay. The only thing is, where you get the pot, there are probably other drugs available too...and all of them are illegal. Until it is legalized for all usage, you have to face the fact you possibly could get caught. Who wants to go to jail for a joint or two in the evening after work...if the police ride up just as you are getting your little stash?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 PM
lil_b_79200

OK to me weed is ok... it is made out of the earth and natural.. but the chemicals they spray on it isnt... Yes weed is an addiction, just like drinking, just like sex, just like pretty much everything you do to excess is an addiction.. I just came out of a program for drugs so thats really not a issue for me.. However if i were still a addict i would chose smoking over anything out there...... Drinking is why my ole man is facing prison time... not weed....
The Following User Says Thank You to lil_b_79200 For This Useful Post:
starr_poet (11-23-2008)
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Donation Award 

it is a good thing. Better than alcohol for you, thats for sure. American drug policy is stupid. Do the research.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to keytwo For This Useful Post:
Chellie (01-03-2009), MrsCetina (07-25-2010), queenlynch (06-23-2012), sarah_n_kc (09-24-2011), starr_poet (11-23-2008)
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 PM
waiting for him

If your body is exposed to 420 chemicals when you smoke marijuana, how is that better for you than alcohol? Marijuana today is at least ten times stronger than it was in the 60's and 70's, and it does tremendous damage to the lungs with constant use, more than tobacco does. Anything to excess is bad for the body, whether it be caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, or alcohol, or even too much of the wrong food...there is the key>>> Anything to excess; is not good.

Last edited by Eternal Hope; 06-06-2006 at 11:24 PM..
Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 PM
lil_b_79200

keytwo..what exactly are u talking about... i am kinda confused...
Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 AM

Gotta be honest here. After living with an addict whose drug of choice was everything except for weed. I don't see smoking weed on occassion a bad thing.

Everything is bad when done in excess!

Moderation is the key.

So if this guy wants to get a few hits every week, I think I can live with that. Most importantly, he doesn't ever do it in front of me, after knowing what I just came out of. Now that's RESPECT!!!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
one lucky woman

Everything is bad when overdone, yes. And I have a nutty little theory of my own that says that the more processed a substance becomes (coca leaf to powder to crack, for example) the more harmful.
With the airwaves full of commercials for Ambien and Zanax and a gaqjillion other LEGAL chemicals, I don't think it's the government's or anybody's business if somebody likes to take a few tokes here and there. (Which by the way also relates to the question of increased potency. More powerful grass yes, but sensible people don't pig out on it)

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 06-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Donation Award 

American policy allows deadly drugs to be legalized through the FDA because drug and tobacco companies pay good lobbying money. Marijuana has not caused any deaths. Countries where drugs are legalized has less crime. American policy creates higher prices for drugs and over crowds our prisons unnecessarily.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keytwo For This Useful Post:
kyi kyi (09-20-2011), MrsCetina (07-25-2010)
Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 AM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

Being a former child of the 60's I have to say it pot was legal I would use it. People do abuse pot and if they didn't have pot they would abuse something else because that is what they are. I don't abuse alcohol but I do drink, I would not abuse pot but if legal I would use it.

CATHERINE
Old 06-07-2006, 09:44 AM

As a teenager of the 70's I have to chime in here and say that I too see absolutely nothing wrong w/casual use of pot. I'm not talking about it being the main driving force of your day, but taking a toke or two or even three in the evenings is not tantamount to being a pot head.
I have seen both sides of the fence where a friend could not smoke occasionally without having to do every drug she could get her hands on. She was the proverbial, one is too many, 10 is not enough. I have other friends that are like your friend, they are an occasional user, they hold down a job, pay their bills, own homes, etc, etc....Everything a citizen is supposed to do except for the fact that they get high every now and then.
I personally would much rather smoke than drink. I don't have any statistics, but I would like to know what they are when you look at the number of people arrested for DUI. Are the numbers higher for alcohol or marijuana. I know if I was a gambling person, I'd say the numbers would be higher for alcohol.
Anyway, sounds like he is an okay guy to me. JMO
Old 06-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Banned

I've seen crackheads steal
I've seen drunks beat the crap outta people for almost nothin
I've seen heroin addicts cravings

pot smokers I have seen have never done anything but tell stupid jokes laugh their butts off and eat till they can burst

saying it's illegal is just silly in my mind to use as any reasoning

alcohol was too but eventually became available and has caused a lotta deaths since then and too many other issues to mention but since it is legal not everyone has a problem now consuming too much

someone who hits a joint a few times a week or day and can still carry on and do good should be left out of the concern for our society's demise