Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Is in the Hizzouse!

Default Jm .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy'sBabygirl
So tell me how many of you think smoking pot is a bad thing?
Bishop Supreme Sam Putney has coined the term "GOOD or GOODIE" when "refer"ring to pot.

So if it is good to the Bishop it is good to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 AM
waiting for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKB's Girl
As a teenager of the 70's I have to chime in here and say that I too see absolutely nothing wrong w/casual use of pot. I'm not talking about it being the main driving force of your day, but taking a toke or two or even three in the evenings is not tantamount to being a pot head.
I have seen both sides of the fence where a friend could not smoke occasionally without having to do every drug she could get her hands on. She was the proverbial, one is too many, 10 is not enough. I have other friends that are like your friend, they are an occasional user, they hold down a job, pay their bills, own homes, etc, etc....Everything a citizen is supposed to do except for the fact that they get high every now and then.
I personally would much rather smoke than drink. I don't have any statistics, but I would like to know what they are when you look at the number of people arrested for DUI. Are the numbers higher for alcohol or marijuana. I know if I was a gambling person, I'd say the numbers would be higher for alcohol.
Anyway, sounds like he is an okay guy to me. JMO
Les, I totally agree with you here. In my opinion, marijuana should be legalized. Will it happen? I used to think so, and perhaps it will be soon. As long as you are not using it constantly, like chain smoking cigarettes, I see nothing wrong with it. It has benefited many medically as well. This is what I meant above by using it to excess...but your normal every day working person who occassionally takes a toke or two or three is okay in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:13 AM

Never heard of any one waking up with a hangover or withdrawals from smoking pot.

Just my opionion

From the depths of their souls to to the depth of yours, addicts have a way with making us love them!!!! Billy's Babygirl

Old 06-09-2006, 08:32 AM
waiting for him

LOL, true Billy'sBabyGirl....me either( at least not yet)..maybe the munchies?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

pot is way stronger now than it was 30 years ago when i first tried it. before, i could smoke a whole joint, now i can only take the tiniest wisp (not even a full puff). but i think pot should be legalized. whether it rots your brain or not (i think it depends on usage), it's still safer than alcohol in every way. i still smoke pot from time to time and i think in moderation it's okay. i have lots of legacy friends who smoke pot every day and most of them seem a bit spaced out to me. just like there is a difference between having a glass of wine every night with dinner or slamming down a 1/5th of whisky, moderation is key.

Red Herring made a good point about drug cartels bringing in the weed. Personally,though, I know my hippie grower and I feel okay about supporting his organic pot farm.

Last edited by JJsPenPal; 06-09-2006 at 08:54 AM..
Old 06-09-2006, 08:50 AM

Pot is different than it was 30 years ago. And so is Coke, and shit crack didn't even really exists back then. But Pot is still the safest thing out there.

And it used to just make me tired as hell. All my friends would get the munchies and I would just want to go to sleep. Maybe that's why I never did it for any long period. Who wants to go to sleep when there's a party going on?

From the depths of their souls to to the depth of yours, addicts have a way with making us love them!!!! Billy's Babygirl

Old 06-09-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Pot is different than it was 30 years ago. And so is Coke, and shit crack didn't even really exists back then. But Pot is still the safest thing out there.

And it used to just make me tired as hell. All my friends would get the munchies and I would just want to go to sleep. Maybe that's why I never did it for any long period. Who wants to go to sleep when there's a party going on?
This thread is taking me back, way back, to better and bygone days. I did have some good ol' high times.

Carefree summer days of riding around with my friends, going to different parties, meeting good looking suntanned boys, smoking good 'ol kickass mexican dirt weed. Listening to Led Zeppelin, Nazareth, Boston, Foreigner, Queen, Foghat, I could go on and on........Those were the days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kbsles For This Useful Post:
Chaoticangel (04-11-2012)
Old 06-09-2006, 09:33 AM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

I love Queen ! LOL

CATHERINE
Old 06-09-2006, 02:10 PM

Nothing wrong with weed, I'm sure some day it will be legalized.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:26 PM
loving and missing them

Lightbulb i smoke it

Quote:
Many of you here know my ex-boyfriend is an addict. His drug of choice, whatever he can get his hands on, except weed. I have never seen him smoke pot.

I recently met this new guy, who's only drug of choice is pot. He doesn't drink, doesn't do pills, has a good job, pays his bills on time, goes to work everyday.

So tell me how many of you think smoking pot is a bad thing?
my drug of choice is weed. i am also bi polar and marijuana and lithium are the only drugs that help. in calif. prescriptions are available and that helps get around the law but possession in CA is a fine.(no jail time) over the years i have used many drugs and pot was not a contributing factor in my incarceration. as a matter of fact.....if i had limited my drug use to only weed i would have been fine. alocohol and speed were my downfalls. im all for the decriminalization of marijuana.
:love: *BuTterFlyS*LOVE*FreEdOm*:love: member#119: "is it 2008 yet?" club!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to its almost over For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-25-2010)
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 AM
"Nil Admirari"

Default It should be legal.......

I've seen alot of people who smoke pot and to be honest with you I'd much rather be around a 'pot-head' than a drunk anyday! Most people who drink get mouthy and want to fight, people who smoke pot are just the opposite. You hear about drunk drivers killing people everyday. When I was a senior in high school I smoked pot everyday! I graduated with a 3.3 GPA, got a scholorship, and was working two jobs! I quit smoking pot and a few years later I started having signs of congestive heart failure and had to be put on a medicine to slow my heart down, I should have stuck with the pot. The medicine I'm on states that if you stop taking it all at once puts you at high risk for a heart attack.......GREAT! I didn't have to worry about that before either! But that pill is legal......if thats what you want to call it!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

I don't smoke anything--quit tobacco in 1985 and my two or three exposures to "weed" were some time before that (and yes, I did inhale). I really think it's all a matter of moderation. Someone who has a beer on a hot afternoon is just relaxing. Someone like me who has that beer and proceeds to empty a case has a problem (mind, I speak from the point of view of having been sober for some time).

I've known more than one person who has a "secret garden" and indulges periodically. I see nothing wrong with it. One helped a friend who had major nausea from chemotherapy and I am eternally grateful to her. If someone wants to have a smoke or two just as someone else might have a beer or two, I truly have no quarrel with them (our government, alas, is not so understanding). If all they did was lay around all day smoking with (insert weird rock band of your choice here) on headphones, I'd say they had a problem.

As an alcoholic, I've spent my share of time visiting detox centers, first as a client, later to talk with clients and hopefully brighten their day a bit. I've seen some people in pretty rough shape. But not one of them was there as the result of smoking marijuana.

In a nation which to my knowledge still subsidizes the growing of tobacco, it seems to me that there is no more reason for outlawing marijuana than there would be for placing restrictions on the sale of anything containing caffeine.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-25-2010)
Old 06-12-2006, 06:45 PM
one lucky woman

Oh, there's a reason. They can't profit from secret gardens the way they can from Xanax and Ambien. (You didn't say anything about a GOOD reason.)

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
The Following User Says Thank You to haswtch For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-25-2010)
Old 06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

A very good point. Though if marijuana was commercially packaged and sold legally, I imagine everyone could tax the hell out of it as they do everything else. A number of states over the years HAVE issued marijuana tax stamps, mainly so that they could charge those found in possession of "the dope" with tax evasion. My understanding is that they have found quite a following among stamp collectors.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebswar
all i can say is god made pot and man made beer........who do you trust?????
GOD ALSO MADE POISON.

POISON-POT THEY BOTH FOUL UP YOUR LIFE.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJoy
GOD ALSO MADE POISON.

POISON-POT THEY BOTH FOUL UP YOUR LIFE.
I don't think anybody here is trying to say that pot does not have the potential to lead to problems. The vast majority who have posted in this thread seem to believe that moderation is the key, as it is in all things.

Pot, as ANY other substance that is abused can foul up a life.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Okay, if smoking pot was such a bad thing than why was it legal back in the early days? The only reason politicians made it illegal is becasue they cant put a tax on it, like they can everything else. If you cant tax it than its illegal.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:40 PM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

God also made clouds and rainbows and rain and stars and the moon and our capacity to love and geez you would think I had been smoking it.LMAO

Just for the record so no one gets on their high horse. I absolutely do not smoke pot nor do I encourage it's use as long as it is an illegal substance. The above was said in jest!

CATHERINE

Last edited by Atalie; 06-12-2006 at 08:43 PM..
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM
waiting for him

Marijuana was prohibited in the 1920 's. If you are going back to earlier days before that, its because science had not studied it , nor had the government gotten actively involved.....yet. Sure they want their cut too I am afraid, which has been mentioned here also. Again, I will say that any drug to excess is what causes problems.... and that includes presciption drugs as well!!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:20 AM
one lucky woman

I think anytime people use anything- WHATEVER, could be shopping trips- to medicate emotional/spiritual pain on a long term basis, they are headed for trouble. The pain is there for a reason, to be faced and dealt with.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Chana

I used to smoke that stuff for years. I couldn't go thru the day without it. I would get up in the morning get high, drive myself to work and about 3 hrs into the shift i was ready for ym lunch break so i could get high and then back to work and as soon as i am leavin work i am getting high again. then once i got home i would get high before i ate dinner and before i went to sleep. It was a a daily rountine 4 me. and if i didnt have any I would be so mad and frustrated. I did this for like 5 years and finally i got pulled over and went to jail for possession, and i realized my problem sitting in jail for all those months. When i got out i didn't smoke the stuff and i still haven't so i have been clean since 2001. I may ge the urge but i go without it. One of my freinds get high and she does it all day and her life is nothing but smoking yea she has a job, but after work she just wants to get high. She never wants to do anything so that bothers me. So i have ended my friendship with her cause i feel I can not be around someone that just does that all day. Besides i know the consequences. I don't think it is wrong but maybe people should do it in moderation. I never knew how many professionals smoked the stuff!!
Old 06-13-2006, 12:48 PM

Again, Moderation is the key here. My ex-husband does not smoke weed in moderation. And yes he found out the consequences yesterday when he lost job.

The new guy does it in moderation.

As long as we are talking what was legal and what isn't anymore... Cocaine used to be in Coca Cola, and my mom can remember doctors giving it to her back in the 30's. We all know how addictive that can be.

So again, how bad is weed? The government can't tax it. Which makes it bad, you lose brain cells, which makes it bad. But for every minute of stress you loose 5 minutes of your memory.

Again, MODERATION!

Old 06-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Boss

I live in Oregon, where almost anyone over the age of 18 can apply for a medical use marijuana permit. Here, weed is very much a part of the culture and is looked at more like alcohol. Even if you do not have a card, so many people use it, under an ounce is a misdemeanor. Cops will usually let you keep your pipe and weed if they catch you and you don't have a card.

So, my own personal opinion is it is fine if you a grown adult and use responsibly. My opinion on alcohol is that it is 10 times worse than weed. Think about our society and what would happen if all the alcoholics started smoking weed. we would have so much less violence, especially less car accidents.

Last edited by one_luv; 06-23-2006 at 09:08 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to one_luv For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-25-2010)
Old 06-23-2006, 09:38 AM

my problem with it is that out of all the smoker's i know everyone of them at some time went on to do other drugs, then for one reason or another came back to only smoking weed..

I've never seen a single person that started smoking weed and NEVER used and other type drug...

Like i said, i know many that started smoking, ended up using other drugs and came back to ONLY smoking weed...i think the whole Gate-way drug thing is true...

I however wish it was legal, and if it was, i'd be a smoker!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:02 AM
1 love....1 God

Alcohol is legal yet it kills you and ruins families, cigarrettes are legal yet they kill you, weed smoking not legal ,yet its harmless, more harmless then coffee. I know many functioning weed smokers. I see nothing wrong with it. All the weed smokers i know have good jobs making good money, are great parents, and really down to earth.
The Following User Says Thank You to barbie16118 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-25-2010)