Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm completely mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haswtch
I feel that anything, when abused, is bad. When a substance becomes the center of someone's life, then there's a problem, even if that substance is legal, i.e. - alcohol.

Well said. Obsessions are what do people in, whether it is a drug or the need to control other people or a heavy gambling thing or what EVER. And the current Corporate State of Affairs feeds off of people's obsessions.
Personally I enjoy the sensation of a little THC, but you cracked me up with that tire changing bit

ohhh if you could have only seen it. It was like any time we'd hear a sound, automatically we thought it was a flat. So out one of us would go to check and recheck and recheck.

I bet if someone else saw it, they would have thought we were playing a game or something. lol
Rang unheard in the air
I was bound to find out
That you didn't care
Oh well
Sometimes it be that way
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2007, 12:11 AM
I Believe........

Being an old flower child, hippie, teen of the early 70s ~ yeah, I'm old ~ I would have said smoking pot is no big deal a few years ago. It grew wild where I lived and I used to play in marijuana fields when I was a kid, before I knew what it was. I was even waiting for it to become medicinally legal to help me with chronic migraines since nothing else but unconciousness seems to help the pain.

But not any more. Not since going through my son's drug addiction and incarceration. How pot was the first drug, but not the last drug, he tried. How it started his downward spiral and connected him to people who had access to far worse. Not since realizing the manner in which it comes into our country, the other crimes that go with it ~ murder, guns, cutting it with other really bad drugs, etc.

The way the drug world is right now ~ it is a bad thing. No one knows if they will be the addict ~ if pot is just the first step of many. No one knows if they will be the one that has to go a little further, has to try something else. And if we buy it and smoke it, then who and what are we supporting?

I have learned to hate drugs ~ all of them. Even prescription drugs. Even the ones I have to take to function and survive. I know that makes me a hipocrit and I hate that too. The fact that I have to depend on them irks me to no end. The difference is I could stop them at anytime without withdrawal problems, but I would probably drop dead.

Okay, off the soap box now. I hate drugs ~ they have destroyed so many people, many whom I love.

And yep, back in the day I toked a few. Hippocrit, I know.

Last edited by briansma; 04-24-2007 at 12:13 AM..
Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Mexican at heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebswar
all i can say is god made pot and man made beer........who do you trust?????
Amen!!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:18 AM

Everyone has their weapon of choice. EVERYONE has an addiction. This can be debated all day. See, where my problem stands with drugs is.. what the drugs make you do. Narcotics have you doing all types of things because your really not yourself. Marijuana,pure marijuana will only have you stuck in one place with the munchies. Marijuana I see is harmless. Asprins are harmless too, but if you take 13 of them, that will be the last headache you will ever have
Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 AM

Haswtch,
From one journo to another, you're my kinda woman!

Asides aside, I know people who go chronic, and can't get through the day without a puff or four. I know, I used to be that chick. It didn't help that I had the bomb hookups and my bf was the local dopeman.

However, after realizing I was dreaming my life away I kicked that habit, and delved into what was causing me to abuse pot. It wasn't easy and there are days I would kill for a joint, but there's no damn way I'm letting some dried up plant parts control my life anymore.

All to say, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with marijuana. You just gotta know how to handle your business...
Old 06-13-2007, 04:36 AM
Australian mother

Passionately against it. Like Briansma I have seen the effects of drugs on friends and loved ones and I hate it. You can't predict how it will affect you until it has, the growing and selling of it is exploitative and people being people the greed will always win.

Even those of us who don't want it in our lives are affected by it. Unless you are a hermit you are going to have to deal with drug takers and the consequences of their actions while under the influence such as dangerous driving or careless pedestrians. How many steal to get money to buy drugs? I could go on, I ain't a scientist or a statistician so I don't know what the exact effects are on the brain and nervous system or how many $ are spent on rehab, public works, insurance etc or how many accidents are caused through drug users but my gut feeling says it is bad for you, bad for the environment, bad for the economy and bad for children who have to depend on drug addicted parents.

Morina
Old 06-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Antonio's Angel

Beware of what might be mixed with the pot. My cousin was a dealer. I say was because he is locked up for attempted murder. He was lacing his drugs with other stuff. He would sneak much more addictive drugs into a less addictive drug to increase his client base. A guy almost overdosed because he dipped his weed in embalming fluid and somthing else ( not sure) the guy's girl was able to show the police where he purchased the drugs from and wham.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

One more thing that would disappear if marijuana were legalized and produced to FDA standards.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts

I hate any kind of DRUGS, People just don't realize it goes to something bigger. I would say our Prison are over flowing because of crime commited by Drug use. They need help. But they want get it. So they do it over and over. How sad on familys and the person who does this.
They have to want it for their self.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:04 PM
queendrury

well from where i sit,he could be doing worse.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:01 PM

As far as pot goes, I've also heard that the THC level is much higher now, but I don't know how that actually happened. Is it like the days of the paraquat scare? Do the Mexican drug cartels treat it or dust it or something? How do they make it stronger? Also, I think it's interesting to consider other factors, such as the developmental age of the smoker and genetic factors, such as inheritance of a sensitivity to dopamine, in relation to whether pot smoking becomes an addiction or not. My youngest son seems to be addicted to pot, whereas my older sons have both used it experimentally before and they don't seem to have all the problems the youngest son has.

Anybody aware of the addiction science related to today's form of marijuana?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

As I understand it, the THC content of marijuana has gone up steadily. This is due to people breeding "more powerful" plants, using better growing methods and fertilizers, etc.

Marijuana is now the largest cash crop in the United States--there's plenty of incentive for people to try to produce a better product, just like any other farmer.

I don't know of anyone who has become addicted to marijuana itself, but have known many who have relapsed into other addictions after deciding that a little marijuana now and then was "safe" (rather like trying a cigarette "now and then" after quitting, I suppose).

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 07-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Shawn

Personally I would rather be around someone or even ride in a car with someone who is high from smoking weed than someone who is drinking. After all you hear of all these drunk driving accidents...how many of them read "under the influnece of pot?" Never seen it! Hope this doesnt offend anyone but I would rather be a pot head than a drunk!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:25 PM

I am in my mid-50's. I have never thought smoking pot was a bad thing. In fact, I smoked it occasionally all the way through college and two levels of graduate school...over a twenty-five year period, with no ill effects. But I'm really confused about it the harmlessness of it now because my youngest son has been sentenced to 9-12 months in a drug treatment center over it, He started smoking pot with his friends in high school. In spite of being warned that he would be drug tested, he kept on smoking. Does that mean he's addicted? Maybe. Or maybe he's just daring and immature? I am concerned about the supposed harmlessness of pot also because some say it's sometimes dusted with other drugs, and some say it's much stronger now, and some say it all depends on the number and frequency of tokes, etc.

I've experienced some extremely strong pot in my lifetime and never became addicted. I just don't like to be TOO high very often. Got too much to do. A nice, little level of being high is just right...just before bed, or during live music festivals with friends.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 PM

Hello everyone!
I'm 52 years old and have been smoking pot since I was about 17. I'm a daily smoker and have two business that I own. One is an advertising company and the other is a hydroponics company. If you don't know what a hydroponice company is, well we supply the products to grow indoors. We don't sell anything illegal and this is a fast growing industry. I see nothing wrong with pot. It doesn't lead to stronger drugs as stated. Yes it is getting worse and not better. It's hard to find the really strong stuff anymore because of all the indoor growing going on now. I live in California by the way. People talk about all the money being spent on the drug wars, but if our goverment would allow pot to be legal a lot of the gang activity would go away, well maybe because of the bad drugs that would still be sold through the gangs. I'm talking about heron, coke & crank. Now there are some really bad drugs and yes they do wreck the lives of everyone involved with them. Both of my businesses are thriving and doing well. I work them both with over 30 empleyees between them. I would much rather be high on pot than any liquor or beer. I use to drink but not anymore.
Thank you for allowing my input here.

Last edited by jrd440; 07-27-2007 at 05:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jrd440 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-25-2010)
Old 07-27-2007, 05:03 PM
This Mami loves her Papi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebswar
all i can say is god made pot and man made beer........who do you trust?????
Amen! My opinion on the pot issue is this.....It is the only "drug" that can be used in it's natural form. There is no "processing" involved. Just dry it, roll it up and smoke it. I do not use, but have in the past. There are more problems generated by alcohol than marijuana. And in my opinion pot should be legal and booze should be illegal. JMO.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Donation Award 

A/The State's Attny in Vermont is trying to legalize pot. He believes prohibition doesn't work and because of all of the arrests, our prisons are overcrowded. Etc. etc.

Personally, I don't think I agree. Yes, prisons are overcrowded because of drugs, however I don't think it should be legalized. But, if it's legalized, perhaps there could be better monitoring and there could be some prevention in it being laced with other drugs.

I'm feeling rather wishy washy tonight and I can't seem to give solid examples. sorry.

Last edited by MountainMom; 07-27-2007 at 05:07 PM..
Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Mama to the Turdhounds!

I think its a personal choice... just like drinking.. or doing any other drug. Personally, I am an alcoholic and an addict.. I can't touch anything or all bets are off for me. My life goes places I am not willing to go.

Nancy

Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 AM

i know plenty of people who lead decent lives with great careers who smoke. pot. but up here in alaska it's legal. i will have to stop when my babe comes home, no pot in the house when he's on parole!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Mrs.Ty

I Smoke Pot Everyday And Its The Only Thing That Eases Me. It Makes Me Decide Better And Everything Believe It Or Not. Sober I'd Probably Cry And Stress This Situation With My Fiance All Day. He Has Alittle Over 9yrs To Do Left. Thats Alot Of Pot Im Gonna Be Smoking! Lol
Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 PM

First of all... Tralynlee... what your cousin was selling was "Greens" or "Loveboat" I forget which one is mixed with PCP and the other embelming fluid. It wasn't straight weed.

I put this up here for a thought process.. BTW the friend who inspired this has stopped smoking pot... He said it just took him much longer to get the high he used to get.

I agree that if pot was legalized it would help with some of the drug war. But more so why are our loved one going to jail for possession of weed, coke, crack... if no crime has been committed than you would think this would be a "HEALTH CARE" situation, not a jailable offense... Now kept in mind if a crime has been committed then they should do the time.. But possession is not a crime, it is a disease, an addicition, just like our addictions to candy, soda, tv, cigerattes etc.... Our government needs to focus more on better health care programs instead of locking up for possession.

Do I think they should legalize weed... Absolutely... I would rather have my kids smoke a joint than the most addictive drug nicotine... Maybe you don't agree with this.. but that's okay.

From the depths of their souls to to the depth of yours, addicts have a way with making us love them!!!! Billy's Babygirl

Last edited by Billy'sBabygirl; 08-01-2007 at 04:32 PM..
Old 08-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Yes it's bad
Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Closed

heroine drug
coke crack etc
weed is all disgusting and bad for u,all are addictively wrong to do.

i am glad i am not messing with that crap no more,weed i did use few time in the past JUST TO ignore/hide/NOT DEAL with the pain, but i am better now wihtout that sh--t..
no more of that.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 AM
replanted cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytwo
American policy allows deadly drugs to be legalized through the FDA because drug and tobacco companies pay good lobbying money. Marijuana has not caused any deaths. Countries where drugs are legalized has less crime. American policy creates higher prices for drugs and over crowds our prisons unnecessarily.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YA!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 AM

Addiction is addiction regardless of the drug used.!!