Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 PM

Unhappy Is PREA a sick joke? *possible trigger warning*

That really is my question. Are there systems that actually follow PREA standards? Is CO especially bad about not following them? My friend says he's being raped by multiple other offenders every night. He says he's gone to officers and to the warden and they all said there wasn't physical evidence, so they refused to give him an exam or take anything seriously. Then he told me that they were offering him a deal, where if he cooperated with them, they would take down the leaders of the groups that have been raping/extorting him. He said they even put a camera in his room. Supposedly that partially worked, but things didn't fully get taken care of and so now he's back to where he was before (or the deal is stalled or something). I don't understand how the prison could possibly be ignoring this issue/not following PREA protocols at all? Aren't they taking a pretty big risk? I know the problems with "snitching" and that in theory if I try to report something, I could be putting him in a dangerous position. But really?? Is there nothing I can do and nothing he can do? This is just the reality of prison and PREA is all a joke that lets the prisons look like they have standards, but do whatever they want anyway? Clearly, this experience isn't giving me a lot of faith in the justice system, but I still believe there are good co's out there. I'm not a "the whole system is rigged" type of person, but I'm seriously questioning--what on earth can I do? My friend is in an "at risk" population and he's not in good health. He needs help and I don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 PM

He's in a CO state minimum security facility and should be getting out in a couple of years if that helps at all in terms of advice. By "at risk" I mean that he identifies as a member of the LGBTQ community so in theory they should be monitoring him more closely. Right?? I don't understand
Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 AM

Contact Colorado Springs and report the rapes. You may want to discuss with him first to make sure this is the route he wants to go. I would be very persistent until something is done. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdo...ation-act-prea

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
WishingTree (08-09-2017)